HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:08 AM
Charlie Toms
US
Joined Feb 2003
365 Posts
My new website, please review

Could ask you folks to check out my web site and tell me what you think. www.madhobbies.com also called www.madhelis.com

I am looking for any feedback you have.

This is my first web site and I am having a blast doing it but I do not know if it looks good. I think it is great but I am a little bias.

It is not done yet so do not judge the content but rather your opinion of how it looks and acts.

Is it to complicated?
Does it load slow because of to much junk?
Is it hard to understand?

This is the kind of stuff I am looking for.

Thanks
Charlie
ctoms is offline Find More Posts by ctoms
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:32 AM
Crashing more than flying
Central California
Joined Jul 2003
70 Posts
ctoms -

Looks pretty good. I might suggest that you make the page fit a resolution of 1024 X 768; my screen is set to that resolution but your site scrolls off the screen. Not very friendly to the average user.

The page loaded pretty fast. I check a couple of links and they seem to be working well. Anyway, it looks pretty darn good.
Powmaster is offline Find More Posts by Powmaster
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:37 AM
Charlie Toms
US
Joined Feb 2003
365 Posts
Thanks

Just what I needed, thanks. I was wondering about the size. I will change it in the morning.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:13 AM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Last time I installed the plug-in for Java my browser (IE6) slowed down, so now when I click cancel your site does not load - Other sites allow the user to still brows the site with out the java content... just a suggestion
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:55 AM
Sydney, Down under
Joined Aug 2003
1,080 Posts
i need a password to veiw the links????
Supersix is offline Find More Posts by Supersix
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:10 AM
Charlie Toms
US
Joined Feb 2003
365 Posts
Thank You

Good catch,

Thank you, Should be OK now
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:58 AM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
You're gonna have to get rid of "comet cursor" and crap like that!!!

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:45 AM
Rogers, MN. USA
Joined Mar 2003
593 Posts
Layout is too large; you need to assume many people are still using 800x600 resolution, and people forced to scroll horizontally as well as vertically tire of it and move on to another site.

The main page title is "home". If someone bookmarks it, it'll just be called "home" in their bookmarks and they won't know what it's for without visiting.

So many moving things (scrolling text, animated GIFs) are annoying to me. Animation should be saved for rare occasions where you need to draw the viewer's eye. If there's too much animation, the site is visually overwhelming, and to me, irritating.

Embedded media (like video and audio) is annoying because it often makes the browser sieze while the plugin initializes. Give your visitors some warning that they're about to view video, and let them click links when they're ready. People stuck on 56k will appreciate it.

Speaking of 56k, try to make your page and image sizes reasonable so that these folks (which are still the majority of internet users) can load up your pages within a few seconds. This means keeping down the quantity of graphics, avoiding hugely complicated stylesheets, and absolutely no embedded media.

Any site that makes any attempt to install Spyware such as Comet Cursor will never, ever be visited twice by anyone with any security awareness at all. I can't even put into words how much I hate sites that try to install software without my explicit knowledge and consent.
MondoMor is offline Find More Posts by MondoMor
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:04 AM
I see the future.
Halfmoon Bay, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
2,136 Posts
Get rid of that annoying heli sound, I hate audio on web sites.
I dont like how the links flash when you hover over them.
And everything MondoMor said, especially the size of the layout and Comet Cursor.
Sorry if I sound harsh, you asked for criticism.
co
Yukonho is offline Find More Posts by Yukonho
Old Jan 15, 2004, 09:27 AM
Charlie Toms
US
Joined Feb 2003
365 Posts
Very helpful

This is exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear. Like I said, I am new at this and need to know what people think.

Dont worry about hurting my feelings, I want people to like the site because there will be a lot of useful information on it that people can use.

Keep it comming!

Thanks
Charlie
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:30 AM
Charlie Toms
US
Joined Feb 2003
365 Posts
Changes

Well, I made a few of the changes you suggested so let me know what you think. I redused the size to 1024. Do you think this is OK for most people. 800 just seems so small.

When building a site with software like I am, it is hard not to get carried away by all the neet things you can do. It is a good thing you guys slapped me, or I would have kept adding little trinkits as I went, not realizing they all need to be loaded when someone opens the page.

I have not figured out a few things yey but will keep trying to impliment your suggestions as they come.

Thanks agian and keep em comming

Charlie
Old Jan 15, 2004, 05:07 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Hey Charlie, the site looks good!

I will be rolling through your area this Sunday (dropping my wife off up in Wisconsin). We oughta hook up!

Matt.....
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Jan 15, 2004, 06:24 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,799 Posts
Charlie, I merged the same thread in micro with the one here. Double posting is not allowed.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 17, 2004, 05:54 PM
Charlie Toms
US
Joined Feb 2003
365 Posts
I made a few changes and used as many of your suggestions as I knew how to.

Please let me know what you think.

Charlie