SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2013, 05:57 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Yippee!
- μVi - "the impossible shot" micro cinematographic gimbal !!

2 axis μVi gopro gimbal v1.01

My standalone 2 axis brushless gimbal, for handheld use, or for use with attachment to any myriad of standard photo/cinematographic hardware, mounts, dollies, fittings etc

Possibly the smallest standalone brushless gimbal for regular cinematographic use?

This one for gopro hero2. (the hero3 is still pending a few tweaks from the SkyLight test prints and still needs fine balancing, but is coming up shortly)

Designed with standard gopro mounting fixture, this stand-alone gimbal design allows you to mount it to practically anything, including all the standard gopro mounts, poles, hand grips etc...

or, mount a gopro tripod adapter, then attach any professional hand grip, dolly, shoulder stock, gorilla grip or whatever

A spin-off from the SkyLight opensource gimbal project, its now taken the design in a different direction, and i thought it deserved its own thread (plus the fact the details are buried in the SkyLight thread, and the info is getting blurred and patchy).

Sooo....

version 1.01
- ca ~300grams total weight including gopro2 camera, 2208 motors, gimbal parts, wires, fasteners and an 850mAh battery
- ca ~145mm long end to end
- 95% made from 3D printed parts
- standard gopro mounting, 360degree rotatable for fixture at any orientation
- 360degree roll and tilt capable
- designed for the AlexMos Controller and IMU
- designed for Flyduino/Viacopter G2208 motors
- 3S 850mAh integrated battery
- capability to be extended to 3 axis when the control board development allows
- open Live View and Ext. Mic ports for external monitor mounting, boom mics etc

Available shortly directly from Shapeways. The gimbal parts have already gone through testing, the gopro mounts and battery assembly are currently being printed and will be beta tested by a handful of users here*.
- extra parts (AlexMos/Motors/Hardware) available as a kit, or can be sourced individually

Soon to be available:
- GoPro Hero3 Version
- Both GoPro Hero2 and Hero3 versions available with 58mm lens fittings for use with circular polarisers/ND filters/any other 58mm lens fiilter

* i too am sick to death of the phrase 'beta test' here on rc groups lately, so my apologies for continuing it again

proper photos of "stuff" and videos to follow over the next week or so

hope you find this things as cool as i do. this new gimbal technology is just incredible. i still smile like an idiot playing with these gimbal controllers, theyre just sooo good. im busting a nut looking forward to putting this model through its paces

enjoy!

cheers
ed
ed_jza80 is offline Find More Posts by ed_jza80
Last edited by ed_jza80; Jun 04, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2013, 06:02 PM
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Jan 2013
111 Posts
This thing is incredible! Great work, really looking forward to the gp3 version! Will definitely buy one when I can spare the money! I got into multicopters for amateur film purposes, so this is right up my alley. Any plans on adding a third axis for pan?
Veqtor is online now Find More Posts by Veqtor
Last edited by Veqtor; May 09, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old May 09, 2013, 09:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veqtor View Post
Any plans on adding a third axis for pan?
yep, as soon as the control boards and firmware are working, ive made the 2 axis model upgradeable to a 3 axis by simply adding and arm and another motor.

i know the gopro is hardly a 'big production' camera, but i know of enough people how use them for more than a helmet cam, im hoping a gimbal like this will be useful!
Old May 09, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
sooo... Ive just lined up a deal to secure genuine Flyduino AlexMos boards/IMUs, along with G2208 motors to suit, and can now confirm the offer of the gimbal as a complete package...

estimated price includes:
-All custom gimbal parts as per pic
-Genuine AlexMos (Flyduino) 2 axis controller + IMU,
-800mAh LiPo
-and all hardware to make it do magic

Total ~300€

Old May 10, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
yay... just confirmed the deal with flyduino allowing us to supply the gimbal with geunine AlexMos Control board and G2208 motors.

price will prob just sneak over into the €320 range including everything. mostly due to the cost of shapeways printing. if we can figure out a cheaper (but as good quality / laser scinter process) manufacture method, that price could drop significantly

chers
ed
Old May 10, 2013, 11:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
well, or you could just let people print their own stuff, I realize everyone wants a pie of this hype stuff, but...
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 10, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
have you read the other thread? practically every deisgn/part is there free to download as a .stl .dxf .skp - its near completely open source. a guy in the US will be printing a μVi himself next week. im ordering 3 just now, and sendinding one to brazil just because im nice.

im just doing this specific gimbal as a separate complete "unit" as not everyone is DIY, and particularly in the 'amateur cine' niche, the feedback ive gotten is that a single functioning 'unit' is wanted.

and i wouldnt say i want a piece of any hype. i am honestly still in awe of how good this gimbal technology is, and i find the application of it outside of FPV backyard quad hovering very exciting. i built myself a gimbal and i uploaded the designs for download over a month ago, ~10 people have printed and played with the design in that time, and its slowly evolved. Its cheap and works and im really happy that i can do something productive, where a lot of 'china gimbal' seem to succeed in only pissing a lot of people off

PS - its fun designing this stuff!
Last edited by ed_jza80; May 10, 2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:38 PM
Joined Jan 2013
62 Posts
I like this one. Small enough to go on the phantom and I like the multipurpose use for it. ETA on when they'd be available for purchase?
slovenian6474 is offline Find More Posts by slovenian6474
Old May 10, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
20th May give or take, all things going well

Ive got 4 prints coming, 2 are said-for, so 2 available (complete units with AlexMos and Motors + Batteries etc)
Ill have electronics to make 10 in total, and well see how things go
Old May 10, 2013, 07:57 PM
I'm New
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
This is pretty good, this will be a welcome take on a hand held brushless gimbal.

I have a question though, have you though of how to defeat the initialization process of the gimbal controller?

It always want to be still for at least 10 seconds to calibrate the gyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_jza80 View Post
2 axis μVi gopro gimbal v1.01

My standalone 2 axis brushless gimbal, for handheld use, or for use with attachment to any myriad of standard photo/cinematographic hardware, mounts, dollies, fittings etc

Possibly the smallest standalone brushless gimbal for regular cinematographic use?

This one for gopro hero2. (the hero3 is still pending a few tweaks from the SkyLight test prints and still needs fine balancing, but is coming up shortly)

Designed with standard gopro mounting fixture, this stand-alone gimbal design allows you to mount it to practically anything, including all the standard gopro mounts, poles, hand grips etc...

or, mount a gopro tripod adapter, then attach any professional hand grip, dolly, shoulder stock, gorilla grip or whatever

A spin-off from the SkyLight opensource gimbal project, its now taken the design in a different direction, and i thought it deserved its own thread (plus the fact the details are buried in the SkyLight thread, and the info is getting blurred and patchy).

Sooo....

version 1.01
- ca ~300grams total weight including gopro2 camera, 2208 motors, gimbal parts, wires, fasteners and an 850mAh battery
- ca ~145mm long end to end
- 95% made from 3D printed parts
- standard gopro mounting, 360degree rotatable for fixture at any orientation
- 360degree roll and tilt capable
- designed for the AlexMos Controller and IMU
- designed for Flyduino/Viacopter G2208 motors
- 3S 850mAh integrated battery
- capability to be extended to 3 axis when the control board development allows
- open Live View and Ext. Mic ports for external monitor mounting, boom mics etc

Available shortly directly from Shapeways. The gimbal parts have already gone through testing, the gopro mounts and battery assembly are currently being printed and will be beta tested by a handful of users here*.
- extra parts (AlexMos/Motors/Hardware) available as a kit, or can be sourced individually

Soon to be available:
- GoPro Hero3 Version
- Both GoPro Hero2 and Hero3 versions available with 58mm lens fittings for use with circular polarisers/ND filters/any other 58mm lens fiilter

* i too am sick to death of the phrase 'beta test' here on rc groups lately, so my apologies for continuing it again

proper photos of "stuff" and videos to follow over the next week or so

hope you find this things as cool as i do. this new gimbal technology is just incredible. i still smile like an idiot playing with these gimbal controllers, theyre just sooo good. im busting a nut looking forward to putting this model through its paces

enjoy!

cheers
ed
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old May 10, 2013, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Put it on a desk? Also, glad they have 'external mic' hookups 'cause that 8kHz whine from closedsores controller is gonna do you in REAL fast.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:22 PM
I'm New
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post
Put it on a desk? Also, glad they have 'external mic' hookups 'cause that 8kHz whine from closedsores controller is gonna do you in REAL fast.
haha, that would be my first thought, but doesnt it want to pitch and roll forward, back left, right when it initialize?

lol'd at the close source
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old May 10, 2013, 08:28 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Gyro doesn't have to be in any specific orientation to init. And you do accel calibration when it's level. So just throwing it on a desk in any position is fine, as long as it's still. Multiwii had the problem where if you moved it while it was powering up gyro offsets would be wrong and then it'd go flipping on you, so when alex took multiwii code for his gimbal base, he copied the same bug over. But they've fixed it since then (if motion is detected, it will keep initializing, until it's still), so that's another disadvantage of closedsore, annoying bugs get fixed upstream and you don't get any improvements
Old May 10, 2013, 08:52 PM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
and the open sauce board is so easy going and program error free in comparison?

if i had to pick one, id pick (and have) the AlexMos board. at least it works reliably, and doesnt have a firmware caniption fits.

theyll both get better in time. we all know that. and its hardly a massive financial outlay should you dump the board in 6 months and upgrade.

and yes the 8k whine is tremendous. not.

either way, the gopro is renowned for god awful audio, so ext mics or dubbed audio are required most of the time regardless.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
firmware caniption fits? if anything I'd blame that on absolutely retarded electrical design / using reject chinese parts/etc. It's pretty hard to fail FTDI > AVR connection, but somehoew these guys have managed it