HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2013, 11:36 PM
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
Discussion
Excessive video vibration - Hubsan FPV

Hi folks,

Newbie here. I've been very much enjoying my Hubsan Lynx 101D FPV. Since I've never flown a helicopter before it's been a bit of learning curve, but I've *really* enjoyed the FPV aspect.

Unfortunately there's been a few minor accidents. Nothing I couldn't correct. But just recently I began having major vibration on the video when airborne. Not clear if it was a result of one of my crashes (assuming it was) or one of my repairs. Here's what I've repaired in my brief flying experience...

1. Had the replace the flybar. When I ordered the flybar I also ordered a set of screws. They did not, unfortunately, include the right set of screws for mounting the flybar to the rotor assembly, so I had to use a smaller set that has some play. I'm guessing this could be a source of vibration.

2. Could have been a crash that impacted the camera. Thoughts? The camera definitely has play in it but I'm assuming it should have some.

Even with the crappy video and numerous crash disasters this has been a blast. Any thoughts are much appreciated - definitely enjoying learning the details of this thing.

mromansea
mromansea is offline Find More Posts by mromansea
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2013, 12:12 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,730 Posts
Hi, I almost bought one of those...neat little thing with camera and monitor built right into the remote !!

I'm still a newbie, but from my experience...however little it is, here's my story.

I have Copterx 450 Black Angel flybarless heli. Very sophisticated piece of machinery.

Anyways, my heli spooled up one time and blades cought my arm...

I had to replace a main shaft, main gear and a flybarless head..it seems like a soft object that my blades hit, but it did some damage. I would wait a little until professionals arrive here and let you know for sure though.

Happy flying !!
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old May 09, 2013, 12:49 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,688 Posts
If you damaged flybar and screws did not fit ??? Why did you not use screws that were in it ? anyway did you check feathering shaft, bet its bent. Also check main shaft. No magic if something is bent guess what ? You get vibrations.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old May 09, 2013, 03:04 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
+1 for what dankar04 said. In addition, you should mount the camera with vibration damping tape; don't let it rattle around.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 27, 2013, 12:07 PM
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
So at this point I figured out a quick solution that removes most of the vibration (but not all).

The camera "floats" in it's housing. This appears to be intentional, but my guess is that with the other dings and scratchs I've added to the unit the vibration is causing the camera to shift rapidly back in forth in the housing.

So I stuffed the camera housing with tissue. Yeah I know - supper sophisticated. That said, it eliminated almost all of the vibration although there is still a noticeable "jello" effect on the edges of the imagery.

I'll have to wait to rebuild the unit to see if that one goes away - based on what I've seen on the forum it looks like that's here to stay until I make big upgrade.

When
Old May 27, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined May 2013
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
If you damaged flybar and screws did not fit ??? Why did you not use screws that were in it ? anyway did you check feathering shaft, bet its bent. Also check main shaft. No magic if something is bent guess what ? You get vibrations.
Dankar the screws that held the flybar in place disappeared after one of the crashes. The female receptacle busted out and the screw was gone. So I ordered both a new flybar and the screw set, but the screw set does not appear to be correct. I tried all of them and ended up using the one that gave me the best fit.

For the time being I'm just going to live with the vibration, until I lose the entire rotator head assembly then I'll upgrade it to the metal head assembly. My crash rate is getting lower and lower so as long as I keep making progress I can justify dropping $50 for an upgraded rotor head etc.

But thanks for the comments - I'm learning quickly!
Old May 27, 2013, 08:43 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mromansea View Post
But thanks for the comments - I'm learning quickly!
that's the spirit, buddy !!!!! i live by that everyday i grab a transmitter in my hands...
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher