HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Top Gun 2013!

FlyingGiants.com was on the scene at the Top Gun Scale Competition in Lakeland, FL, read all about it here!

Splash

This just in from FlyingGiants.com...

Stephen Cinch - Well, that wraps up the 25th edition of the world famous Top Gun. Guys, I can honestly say this will not be my last. It was AWESOME. I'd like to say a big thanks to Frank Tiano and his whole staff. Everyone did an amazing job from parking cars, checking passes, and making sure everything went smoothly. Not once did I see a volunteer doing anything but smiling. A huge shout out to all the pilots. From amazing highs and horrible explosive lows, no one complained, no one showed anything but amazing sportsmanship. This contest truly lives up to its reputation of being the best of the best.

Today the sun was in full glory, but the winds were up. This did not effect the jets or the larger prop planes, but the cubs WWI planes and other lighter planes had their work cut out for them. Most handled the conditions with professional piloting! The final rounds went off with just a few mishaps, but nothing completely detrimental, which makes everyone's day a little brighter.

I shot a ton of video today hence the lesser amount of pictures and I'm starting to import all the video now, so hopefully in the next few days I'll have a nice recap video up. With some elbow grease I'll get it up before I pack up to head out to Joe Nall! (WOW that's next weekend! Holy Cow!!)

Ok, enjoy the pics, video coming in the next few days and the final scores coming later tonight. I apologize for not having them now, but the sun got to me and I had to leave to go lay down. My Ohio butt forgot about how draining some high powered southern sun can be.

Again, thanks to everyone involved with Top Gun it is seriously an awesome competition, the best planes in the world are there and like the Leading Edge picture says, Frank wants to see you next year!

Saturday Top Gun Coverage

Top Gun Sunday Coverage

Discussion

Old May 07, 2013, 05:14 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Boy i wish i could have bin there. a couple of guys from the club went and brought back tales and pictures to share at the club meeting last night. They described it much like you have. thanks for sharing the pics and im looking forward to the videos.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old May 08, 2013, 04:47 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,676 Posts
Sunday pics no worky?

Who won Mr. Top Gun?
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old May 10, 2013, 05:48 AM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
4 Posts
me,hahha
Ketty is offline Find More Posts by Ketty
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 13, 2013, 08:06 PM
Deadstick
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
same guys that always win. The ones with the most$$$$$ and biggest companys to build with.
JeffEE is offline Find More Posts by JeffEE
Old May 14, 2013, 09:31 PM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffEE View Post
same guys that always win. The ones with the most$$$$$ and biggest companys to build with.
Not the case at all.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old May 15, 2013, 01:13 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffEE View Post
I hardly think this is an accurate description of Dave Wigley.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old May 15, 2013, 02:19 PM
Deadstick
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
I really did not mean that as a slam against the top gun guys at all. I think that its a great event that I would love to go to and learn at. But who won last year?
Old May 15, 2013, 09:53 PM
Elizabeth City NC
Joined Dec 2009
64 Posts
JeffEE; Dave Wigley is a rare individual, he can design, he can build, and he can fly the #%&* out of a model. It took him 5 years to build his new Beaufighter from scratch, have you ever designed, built and then flown a scale model in a contest of that caliber? It's not just putting $$$$ into a model, it takes a special talent that few modelers have.
Larry B
larry b is offline Find More Posts by larry b
Old May 16, 2013, 12:03 AM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
Jeff, I think you all too easily dismiss the hundreds of hours of research and build time and flying that gets put into each one of these masterpieces. In this class, these are the best of the best in the world.

IMO if you or I possessed a fraction the talent as these guys have, we too would likely attract a sponsor/endorsement; sadly most of us simply do not have the skill on the bench or in the air to compete at an international level with the top pilots from around the world.
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks
Old May 16, 2013, 06:57 PM
Deadstick
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
I agree with the amount of talent and time and effort and investment it takes to go from nothing to world class finish. I have desinged, blue printed, cut my own parts, and built planes. I am doing that right now on another. I will never have the cash or manpower (or talent) to do it as well as the masters do. But then most of us never will. I still would like to get to top gun some day and drool. Perhaps I should withdraw my coment. It was sort of off the cuff. Again I never ment it as an insult.
Old May 16, 2013, 09:29 PM
Elizabeth City NC
Joined Dec 2009
64 Posts
JeffEE, are you designing and building scale stuff? You don't have to enter a "super model" in Top Gun, a lot of the models are the same caliber that you see at the Warbird events around the country. Granted you will more than likley not win first place but look at Jeff Foley's 109E, it's an 80" span model, built with standard methods and he almost took first place from Dave. You have to build an accurate model, well documented, and fly it consistant and smooth, if you do that I'll bet you will place in the top 5. Give it a try!
Larry B
larry b is offline Find More Posts by larry b
Old May 16, 2013, 09:59 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
...look at Jeff Foley's 109E, it's an 80" span model, built with standard methods and he almost took first place from Dave. You have to build an accurate model, well documented, and fly it consistant and smooth, if you do that I'll bet you will place in the top 5. Give it a try!
As a matter of fact Jeff did win the whole shootin' match with his first 109E a few years back.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old May 17, 2013, 11:50 AM
Deadstick
Joined Nov 2004
79 Posts
I have been granted permission to build a scale rc version of the 1941 Aetna-Timm Aerocraft.
The owners of the plane have it at a museum in Iowa. They sent me a disc with over 200 pictures of the aircraft. I have most of the planes done, all except the landing gear. But I think I will donate it to the museum rather than compete.
Old May 17, 2013, 12:02 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,479 Posts
That is a special project and quite the undertaking, I hope to one day be at the level I can try building something from scratch and on my own.

Dont let my previous post discourage you or withdraw your comment above I love posts that open up the discourse and allow different arguments; that is what the internet is about

Documentation is a huge part of the project, you could do very well with your 1941 at an event like Top Gun. I would keep that in mind throughout the build
bsbauman is offline Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snuggles Speaks