Old Aug 04, 2013, 06:50 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerman View Post
Light & pidot tube mods:
The pidot tube was made from an old pen inner that I extended to get the right length then ran some wires out the back of it & covered it with heat shrink.

I made the light by making a plug out of balsa. Fiber-glassing over it & then I reamed out all the balsa after it had set so I could run the wiring & L.E.D. inside. I then drilled out an oval shaped hole for the light post & glued in a peace of plastic tube that had been squashed to give it the airfoil shape. I then ran the wiring through the wing to a nav light harness I had sitting in my spare parts box. I even made two lens caps that fit into the light & can be swapped over. One yellow (fog) & one white (clear) out of a pair of old snow ski goggle lenses that I heated & pressed into a mold I made to the shape of the I.D. of the end of the light housing.

PITOT tube ....as typo technically correct !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube

HJ
Hondajet is offline Find More Posts by Hondajet
Last edited by Hondajet; Aug 05, 2013 at 04:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2013, 09:13 PM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,292 Posts
For Justwingit info.....Hi John!

Here is some footage taken yesterday at Derby, about 200km north of Broome where I was for a few hours.

It is surrounded by a large dry Tidal Mud Flat very similar to your "Mo-Har-Vee" !

Our beautiful Kimberley region .......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberl...n_Australia%29......."Wild Fire" you can see in the photos was also causing some gusty wind conditions for me, on the marsh flats.

I was only there flying for 10 minutes as you hear I was "summoned" by my partner to pick her up after a meeting she was attending to give a quick talk while we were there.

I was talking to a family friend member while flying, who was also interested in RC and had never seen my scale aircraft fly.

Also the first time I have shot any high footage with my Storch.... with a quick illegal "Loop" and more scale allowed "stall turn" thrown in........

First Fi STORCH flight at Derby, Western Australia - Durafly high detail 1100mm Balsa scale aircraft (2 min 54 sec)

Louis
Last edited by Hondajet; Aug 04, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 10:22 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
That's fantastic Louis !

Yuppers, kinda looks like the mighty Mojave desert! Wow, that fire looked huge....I hope everybody's okay !

Yes indeed, the Storch looks wonderful just floating by effortlessly about 20 or so feet off the ground...I love it's scale lines...an aviation classic.

Surprising how well she lifts off without flaps; I was actually experimenting a little with flaps on Saturday. Found that with roughly 40-50% flaps deployed, she'll lift off very quickly (5-10 feet) at roughly 75-80% throttle and with the power around 80-90% throttle, she'll settle right into a 45 degree climb out and go until you gently throttle back and let her settle into level flight on her own accord. Bring the flaps up all the way (while gently increasing the throttle of course, to compensate for the loss of lift) and settle into a nice right hand pattern...good times !

I added exhaust stacks (you can see them in my latest photos) and just today added a pitot tube. Nothing like yours in regards to detail, but slowly getting there my friend...next I need to make an oil cooler...

This model is just waaay too much fun

Cheers,
John
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:30 PM
Australia, NSW, Wattle Grove
Joined Jul 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kusunokimasahige View Post
Looking wonderful !!

Also the paintjob is well done !!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinnetti View Post
Fantastic work - you really have an eye for the details...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
+1

Looking very, very nice. These models are like putty in the hands of some of you gracing the pages of this thread....simply amazing !
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLMARK View Post
Zimmerman great job awesome detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondajet View Post
And it should "Fly" perfectly for you as mine does ! ......just the way you have made it look................

Beautiful Zimmerman.....and what Perfection in your Finish! ....even to the more scale like Cowl panel fastener screws. .....I like your painting as well and quite impressed with it....and seeing my "pioneering" detail being taken up by a very professional and astute modeller
Zimmerman is offline Find More Posts by Zimmerman
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:32 PM
Joined Jul 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
You got to work on that prop hub nut now.

Did you fit the Suspension on the main U/C preferably with small expansion springs...?

Even though it is not visible .... I consider it was the best inclusion of ALL my mods as it simply turns this Durafly model into a real STORCH in the way it handles its STOL landings without "Bending" the otherwise rigid U/C design.

HJ
Yeah, that prop hub nut is ordinary & really detracts from the look we are after. I'll have to sort something there.

& yes I did your suspension mod but with 2M bolts & nuts through the frame & covered the springs with black heat shrink to hide them a bit better . I was looking at making legit scale suspension up & modifying the legs to accommodate them & went as fare as drawing up plans & sourcing the materials. But I ended up taking the easier option & went with your tried, tested & proven innovation instead

Quote:
PITOT tube ....as typo techincally correct !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot_tube
Ha, sorry my illiterate spell checker failed me there... I stand corrected... & will correct
Last edited by Zimmerman; Aug 05, 2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:34 PM
Joined Jul 2013
53 Posts
Quote:
Flew the ol' gal yesterday down at the dry lake...just a wonderful model...always puts a smile on your face !

John
Great "in air" pics John... looks very cool
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:36 PM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilatus mike View Post
What a plane! will it be available in the UK? Would very much like to fly this one, time to start fashioning a foam set of Captain Gerlach, Mussolini and Skorzeny.
Came across this story of the rescue of Mussolini on top of the mountain. http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/sasso.htm "Mount Sasso" An Amazing Modern-Day Australian Connection to Mussolini's Rescue from Gran Sasso in September 1943. - Some Unique Photos Uncovered. Interesting read along with photos. That Pilot was Amazing being able to land on that mountain, then taking off... nearly crashed as the plane plummeted down the mountain cliffs. That is the real picture of the plane on the mountain about to take off.

I cross referenced the tail number SJ+LL with the info in the picture as well as from the website provided earlier by kusunokimasahige. By changing the planes starting letter to S in the link.
dutchumb is offline Find More Posts by dutchumb
Last edited by dutchumb; Aug 05, 2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2013, 11:38 PM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Great photos John !!

I found the original staffel of which the KF-XL was part :

KF+XL Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5167 5.(H)/41 B0007 B0341 M0002/17/7 M0002/8/22

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/stam-k.html

SJ+LL = Plane that rescued Mussolini
SJ+LL Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.1268 WNr.1268 used on the liberation of Mussolini some sources has the wrong number as SU+LL

http://www.luftwaffe-experten.org/stam-s.html
Old Aug 05, 2013, 12:52 AM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
There were over a thousand storches on the website, but here are the ones that had an interesting note

CB+TL Fieseler Fi156 C Rommels personal plane in Afrika
CE+GV Fieseler Fi156 C-3 test flight from Flugbuch of Karl Gick, Motorenprüfer
CE+GX Fieseler Fi156 C-3 source B0341 as C-1  General's pennant on tail
CK+BN Fieseler Fi156 C personal transport for General Henrici
CQ+QE Fieseler Fi156 D WNr.4438 WNr.4438 Evaluated as a "U-Boot-Zerstorer", in Summer, 1942 operated as a Sanitatsflugzeug in South Russia. 
DJ+UU Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5540 WNr.5540 1946  RNoAF  as  N-31   on picture under the wing is visible DP  with Norway I.D. roundel between perhaps this stkz is wrong
DO+NJ Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.1482 WNr.1482 to Sweden 
DH+MX Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5136 WNr.5136 skis
GA+WL Fieseler Fi156 SS-Div. Leibstandard Adolf Hitler
GB+XT Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5700 WNr.5700 source B0349 as D-1/Trop with bicycle landing gear
GG+MX Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5388 WNr.5388 english reg.VN267  No. 2 Group Comm.Squadron RAF.
KA+OS Fieseler Fi156 C-5/Trop in RAF markings
KN+ON Fieseler Fi156 D-1/Trop Sanitatsflugzeug, North Africa, Tunis
KP+KP Fieseler Fi156 C-7 WNr.1665 WNr.1665 later RAF serial VM294  83 Group Communication Squadron
KR+QV Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5501 Zubringerflüge " Robinson" - Distributorflights
KR+QW Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5502 Werkstattflug
KR+QX Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5503 WNr.5503 to Sweden as 3822 vkz FV-3822 sweden  OA-ADT peru
NB+YE Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5328 WNr.5328 vkz P2+..      collided with Bf110E-3 WNr.2339 vkz 8H+HK
NB+YN Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5337 WNr.5337 personal aircraft of General von Richtofen  in source B0349 as WNr.5837
ND+XY Fieseler Fi156 on tail white 12 took part in operation NIWI 
NL+UU Fieseler Fi156 C-3/trop WNr.1043 WNr.1043 to sweden  3821
NM+ZS Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5620 WNr.5620 in RAF markings?
NN+JK Fieseler Fi156 Haaken Werkstattflug
NN+MP Fieseler Fi156 Flug Haaken 
OM+DK Fieseler Fi156 P  (Polizei)   Eastern Front, Fall 1942. Used for anti-partisan operations 
PE+DI Fieseler Fi156 überführungskennzeichen for Peschke Flugzeugreparaturwerkstatten Minden Westfalen
PP+QA  Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5440 WNr.5440 in sweden RSwAF S 14B  as 3825
PP+QD Fieseler Fi156 F-1 WNr.5443 WNr.5443 vkz  9Q+AD
PP+QH Fieseler Fi156 WNr.5447 strange unit is mentioned 3 times in source D0077
PV+ZI Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5306 WNr.5306 test flight from Flugbuch of Karl Gick, Motorenprüfer
PV+ZJ Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5307 WNr.5307 Eastern Front, Fall 1941 long range fuel tank Generalfeldmarschall von Kluge's personal aircraft. 
PV+ZT Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5317 WNr.5317 used by the Hungarians
PE+DI Fieseler Fi156 überführungskennzeichen for Peschke Flugzeugreparaturwerkstatten Minden Westfalen
RJ+AM Fieseler Fi156 Zubringerflüge Robinson
RR+KE Fieseler Fi156 C-7 WNr.475081 WNr.475081 later britisch reg. AM101 VP546 other source as C-1
RT+ZX Fieseler Fi156 C-7 WNr.1751 WNr.1751 other sources as RT+AX              to Sweden
SB+UQ Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5573 WNr.5573 surrendered at Bardufoss
SJ+LL Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.1268 WNr.1268 used on the liberation of Mussolini    source B0001 has this wrong as SU+LL
SJ+LP Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.1272 used by Rommel
SN+KK Fieseler Fi156 C-3 fitted with skis 
TI+VR Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.1144 WNr.1144 Sold to Switzerland and became A-98 
TI+VX Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.1150 WNr.1150 surrendered at Bardufoss
VD+TD Fieseler Fi156 C-7 WNr.475099 WNr.475099 later britisch reg. AM99
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:27 AM
Tally Ho!
The Netherlands
Joined Apr 2006
4,133 Posts
Great list !

Personally would be interested in a Storch attached to the LuftGau Holland, any fighter or other organization, but hardly any images remain. Almost all German fighter groups were at one time engaged in the Netherlands. Some for a longer period, like the NJG 1 and the JG1, others for shorter hops like JG27.

So since I will not at this time do a full repaint the Storch will get its original Eastern Front emblem. Depending on how it flies and how I manage it there might be another one coming one day. I have trouble dividing my time between the things I must do and the things I should not be doing, like facebook and internet etcetera. ADHD, sooo nice... Hey a bird !

Anyway, HJ, great footage. The fire in the background made me think of the Russian steppes and Iwan attacking in the distance...

KM
kusunokimasahige is offline Find More Posts by kusunokimasahige
Old Aug 05, 2013, 08:10 AM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,638 Posts
Quote:
Great list !

Personally would be interested in a Storch attached to the LuftGau Holland, any fighter or other organization, but hardly any images remain. Almost all German fighter groups were at one time engaged in the Netherlands. Some for a longer period, like the NJG 1 and the JG1, others for shorter hops like JG27.

So since I will not at this time do a full repaint the Storch will get its original Eastern Front emblem. Depending on how it flies and how I manage it there might be another one coming one day. I have trouble dividing my time between the things I must do and the things I should not be doing, like facebook and internet etcetera. ADHD, sooo nice... Hey a bird !

Anyway, HJ, great footage. The fire in the background made me think of the Russian steppes and Iwan attacking in the distance...

KM
Hah !

Don't we all...

And you're right, that fire in the background certainly looks like a fierce battle off in the distance...
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2013, 08:44 AM
" Plain Crazy! "
Australia, WA, Broome
Joined Oct 2008
2,292 Posts
Quote:
Hah !

Don't we all...

And you're right, that fire in the background certainly looks like a fierce battle off in the distance...
Yes it was....... I drove back to Broome later at 7 pm and it was still burning to the edge of the road in low scrub........ luckily not much wind so bush was just lit up like Christmas decorations as we drove past one section.....otherwise road was still open...... the main hazard was stray cattle and kangaroos as usual to watch out for.
Old Aug 05, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Here is some footage taken yesterday at Derby, about 200km north of Broome where I was for a few hours.
HJ (Louis)

Just curious as to your video setup. Are you using a gopro camera?. What software are you using to be able to add text to your video's.?

Thanks,
Dutch
Old Aug 05, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Nov 2012
137 Posts
Quote:
Great list !

KM
Your in luck.. (I had only put planes that had a special note). There were plenty of planes that had a location of LuftGau. ((((Storches Included)))) Since I was doing it.. I went ahead and put all planes that was located there, to save you the trouble on your future purchases or on a plane you already own.

Also I had searched the English word Holland and got no results on any page (probably you need to search the German word for holland to find it on that list).

CH+DH Dornier Do17 Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost
DA+TO Heinkel He111 H-6 Owner - Luftgaukommando XIV assigned to Weather flight operations Luftgaukommando XIV
DK+TE Dornier Do17 Z WNr.3253 WNr.3253 Flugbereitschaft X.Fl.Korps  Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost  16./Fl.Verb.G.2
GA+TV Fieseler Fi156 C-3/Trop WNr.5242 WNr.5242 or SF+RD ?   in source M0002/20 false  WNr.5575 to WNr.5587  Flugbereitschaft Luftgau Finland  Fl.Kp./Ln.Rgt.5 
KF+QT Junkers Ju52 /3m Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost 16./Fl.Verb.G. 2
NA+KC Fieseler Fi156 C-2 WNr.4408 WNr.4408 3./K.Gr.z.b.V.108   Flugber./Luftgau-Kdo.Norwegen
NC+OR Junkers Ju52 /3m Flugbereitschaft of Luftgaukommando Moskau
NE+KY Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5207 WNr.5207 On source W0003 member Tony Jones as WNr.5201 Flugbereitschaft X.Fl.Korps Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost  16./Fl.Verb.G.2
NN+DH Heinkel He111 H-3 WNr.3192 WNr.3192 Flugber.Lg.Kdo.     Flugbereitschaft Luftgau Finland
NT+NV Dornier Do17 Z WNr.1210 WNr.1210 Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost 16./Fl.Verb.G.2
PP+QT Fieseler Fi156 C-3 WNr.5459 WNr.5459 Flugbereitschaft Luftgau zbV 1
RU+NY Messerschmitt Bf108 Flugbereitschaft Luftgaukommando 4
SB+CS Dornier Do17 P Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost 16./Fl.Verb.G.2
SG+BS Dornier Do17 Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost
VE+LK Messerschmitt Bf108 B-1 WNr.3061 WNr.3061 source W0003 and M0023/7 as Bf108D-1 Flugbereitschaft luftgau kommando Sudost 16./Fl.Verb.G.2
Old Aug 05, 2013, 01:42 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,171 Posts
Maiden, today, a nonevent. No trim changes, power on three point landings. Now, I gotta get this flap situation fixed!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift