HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 08:01 PM
cheapskate extroardinairé
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Discussion
world's cheapest dlg!

Hey guys, any of you want to get into dlg, but just can't afford the hundreds of dollars that dlgs cost these days?
Here's my new dlg, and guess how much the airframe cost?
UNDER $5!!!!
I used $tree foam for the wings, pod and tail (2.5 sheets used total), a piece of a 1/2" aluminium tube to make the dihedral brace (whole tube was $1 at the local harware store, and I only used 1/10 of it to make the brace), some scrap balsa to make the boom (you could just as easily use carbon, but that would bring the price up), a few sticks of hot glue, and some wire for pushrods.
total cost: $4.80
AUW is about 300 grams. (is nose-heavy, could probably be reduced to 250 grams by using a lighter battery without making it too tail-heavy).
and yes, the tail boom is attached to the pod about 1/2" left of the centerline. I had to do it that way, otherwise it would have been flimsy. bench demonstration video is uploading right now, will post as soon as it finishes. Will try to get flight footage tomorrow if weather permits.
pics:
baconflyer is offline Find More Posts by baconflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 08:14 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,955 Posts

Go easy on the launch, or you may see you pod &/or boom departing sideways.

You can get carbon arrow shafts for $2-3 at WalMart....good low-budget booms.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old May 04, 2013, 08:20 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT View Post

Go easy on the launch, or you may see you pod &/or boom departing sideways.

You can get carbon arrow shafts for $2-3 at WalMart....good low-budget booms.
nearest WalMart is over 50 miles away. I'll replace the boom with carbon eventually (probably when the balsa one breaks) but I just did some test spins (didn't let go, but swung it pretty hard) and it seemed to work fine. tiny bit of flexing in the tail, but only a few degrees.
Old May 04, 2013, 08:38 PM
Envies his own avatar
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Apr 2008
572 Posts
You have to give him credit, the title is certainly accurate!
rockyabq is online now Find More Posts by rockyabq
RCG Plus Member
Old May 04, 2013, 08:49 PM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyabq View Post
You have to give him credit, the title is certainly accurate!
Old May 05, 2013, 12:48 AM
Slope-a-Dope
United States, UT, Draper
Joined Dec 2012
2,048 Posts
Hey, if this flies....I'M IN!
Steve 0 is online now Find More Posts by Steve 0
Old May 05, 2013, 01:43 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0 View Post
Hey, if this flies....I'M IN!
gonna do some launches and light air sloping with it tomorrow, hopefully it flies well.
Old May 05, 2013, 03:05 AM
Joined Aug 2011
220 Posts
Looks good! It reminds me of my build and thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868005 . Both threads focusing on a cheaper alternative to high-end DLGs.
xardinen is online now Find More Posts by xardinen
Old May 05, 2013, 10:19 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xardinen View Post
Looks good! It reminds me of my build and thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868005 . Both threads focusing on a cheaper alternative to high-end DLGs.
thanks, I hadn't seen that. my design is the same idea, make dlgs cheaper!
hopefully my design will be a bit more accessible to beginners due to not needing a hotwire...
Old May 05, 2013, 05:01 PM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,048 Posts
Hard to tell from the pics....is the wing an Armin? KF? Undercambered? Scored and folded? Sanded edges at all to get more of an airfoil shape? Just wondering. Thx.
Old May 06, 2013, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
Hard to tell from the pics....is the wing an Armin? KF? Undercambered? Scored and folded? Sanded edges at all to get more of an airfoil shape? Just wondering. Thx.
the wings are sort of like the method flitetest use to make their aerofoils, but without making the "creases" in the surface that create the ridged aerofoil. I started with a 12.5" sheet of foam, then scored the top surface of the paper to create a 6" section and a 6.5" section. (the 6.5" section is the bottom section, and the .5" extra chord combined with the curve in the top sheet allows me to have a 1" control surface. I then removed the paper from the 6" section on one side so that it could be curved more easily. I folded the sheet over at the line of the score-cut, so that I could cut a 45" bevel in the inside of the leading edges of each side so I can get a sharper LE. (they are still connected on one side by the paper) I then made a 1/2" tall foamboard spar, made from two pieces of foamboard. I do the spar with the paper/foam layers running vertically, as opposed to horizontally (armin wing uses horizontal layers) I then bend the 6" section over with the peeled face on the inside, and glue it on top of the spar. I then glue it down at the trailing edge.
hope that makes sense, it's pretty similar to the aerofoil flitetest use on the baby blender but instead of making a series of creases in the upper surface I just remove the inner paper so it can have a fluid curve.
Old May 06, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
did a few flights with it today (before you ask, NO, I did not manage to get any video.) and it flew ok. however, I would say that it does need a carbon boom, as the balsa one snapped off after a few rough landings. I have mixed 30% rudder in with the ailerons, as it had a bit of adverse yaw. I also set it up so I can control the elevator trim with the throttle stick so I can have up-trim for launch and then flick it to neutral trim for level flight. it flew pretty well over all, despite the wiggly tailboom and high winds I was able to get 100ft+ launches... not bad for a $5 foamboard glider. didn't have a chance to test it in thermals, as there were none.
overall, I'd say this: it's NOT a high-performance glider, but that's not what it was designed to be. it's designed to be a quick&dirty, simple dlg that is fun to just chuck around. and I have to say, I have a lot more fun flying this than I do with my (rich) friend's fireworks dlg. this is just much less... scary.
stay tuned! version 2 (with carbon boom), flight footage, and maybe a build tutorial are coming soon.
Old May 06, 2013, 05:08 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,955 Posts
Cool. I'll bet this will be a fun light wind slope flier too. This is what my SAL-40 design was meant to be, a quick and inexpensive way into a DLGs. But my OCD building techniques turned it into a rather complicated project. Still inexpensive though

If you're getting 100' launches that's excellent....I don't get much more than that on my best launches.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old May 06, 2013, 09:32 AM
Slope-a-Dope
Joined Dec 2012
2,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconflyer View Post
the wings are sort of like the method flitetest use to make their aerofoils,. ...hope that makes sense, it's pretty similar to the aerofoil flitetest use on the baby blender but instead of making a series of creases in the upper surface I just remove the inner paper so it can have a fluid curve.
Yep, makes perfect sense. I've used the same technique. It was just hard to see in the pics with the wing already complete and installed. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm guessing your wings are plenty rigid without a need for carbon or bamboo stiffeners.

Glad to hear your test flights went well despite the boom failure. I believe I'll pick up some carbon arrow shafts and rig one up. I may even do a drink bottle shrink pod for grins unless I build it too heavy.
Old May 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
United States, CA, Marin
Joined Jul 2011
1,074 Posts
Quote:
unless I build it too heavy.
I don't think that'll be a problem, I need to build a lighter pod (or find a smaller battery) anyway, as the cg at the moment is at about 15% back from the LE. hopefully a carbon boom will help weigh down the tail a bit.