HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 03:19 AM
China, Henan, Zhengzhou
Joined Sep 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
The popular DLG glider

could you suggest some popular DLG glider to us ?thanks!
i love flying is online now Find More Posts by i love flying
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 06:11 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,191 Posts
if I was going to manufacture and copy a hand launched glider, I think I would go with the Fling.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old May 04, 2013, 11:25 AM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
if I was going to manufacture and copy a hand launched glider, I think I would go with the Fling.
Plus 1000 The fling is sold by a large manufacturer How could you go wrong ?
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old May 04, 2013, 02:51 PM
Denver CO
Joined Mar 2009
609 Posts
Yep! The fling is what I would fly. If I could afford it!
1900 Driver is offline Find More Posts by 1900 Driver
Old May 05, 2013, 10:11 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2011
750 Posts
nice work smart guys - whats the harm in having another manufacturer - if that is what they want to do here?

there are a lot of "popular" dlgs - Stobel, freak, blaster 3, neos, neo, sal peter....... there are so many to choose from
gtrbaby is online now Find More Posts by gtrbaby
Old May 05, 2013, 10:25 PM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,685 Posts
If they are so popular why are they so illusive?
Old May 05, 2013, 10:27 PM
Joined Jul 2011
750 Posts
popular does not mean "readily available"
Old May 06, 2013, 07:40 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,191 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrbaby View Post
nice work smart guys - whats the harm in having another manufacturer - if that is what they want to do here?
here's a question for you...
what's wrong with stealing other people's designs, and making a profit off of it?
Old May 06, 2013, 08:40 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp View Post
here's a question for you...
what's wrong with stealing other people's designs, and making a profit off of it?
+1. A significant portion of the cost of manufacturing a DLG is R&D. I'd be pretty upset if somebody in China stole my design I spent months or years developing and sold it for half the price because they didn't have to pay for R&D and labor is cheaper. I don't know if that's what the OP is going for, but I think it should be clear that copying somebody else's design for profit is absolutely stealing.

My 2c,

B
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old May 06, 2013, 10:09 AM
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,685 Posts
I have to wonder how many people bought the Fling, Threw it, Broke it in half and where sworn off DLG flying.

Many designs are copies of others but some do more harm than good for the sport.
Old May 06, 2013, 10:14 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,191 Posts
you can still have plenty of fun with the Fling...even if it's just spinning.
Old May 06, 2013, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
I stand with gtrbaby on this one, if I understand him correctly. You guys jumped the gun with your assumptions and sarcastic replies. A small amount of research reveals 'i love flying' represents a Chinese original equipment manufacturer of many models that are retailed by US and European companies under different names.

Anyway, regardless of OP's intentions there are win, win options available without resorting to futile isolationist strategies.

For instance a win, win might be to do as guitar manufacturers have done. They license a model or non critical parts of a model to be built in Asia in greater quantities but with lower quality standards and retail it at lower cost than the same model built in the US at a slower pace with individual attention to detail. The US version is sold as the premium version. People will still regard the premium version as the more desirable and simultaneously more people will be able to afford a DLG. Moreover the original designer is still credited in everyone's minds for the R&D work put into the project.

This is how almost every manufacturing process is expanded to meet market demand these days. The number of inquisitive questions about why DLGs cost what they do indicates the market demand, and the very fact that your own US junior cannot afford his own models begs the question: Why are you resisting?

Well, that's just another way of looking at things and is, in my view, far more constructive. Remember that, minor design differences in models aside, Mark Drela, Gerald Taylor and the original balsa hand launch designers from way back in the early 80s are owed huge debts of gratitude by all of us. They handed their designs to all of us for free and do not appear to regret doing so!
ThermalSniffer is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer
Last edited by ThermalSniffer; May 06, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old May 06, 2013, 10:49 AM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,191 Posts
then go ahead and recommend one to the OP.
I have already done so, and the Fling is very popular...especially if you go by total sales.
Old May 06, 2013, 11:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Wiltshire
Joined Apr 2011
239 Posts
Well Kenny, ingoring the seemingly disingenuous nature of your response, I don't know which to suggest but I'll try reason my way through some suggestions. I can only point to forum interest as an indicator of popularity and sorted by replies and view count the top 3 model threads on this board are the Gambler, Topsky and Mimi. They are not very high performance designs, but the common denominator is they are at the cheaper end of the scale. One is free and two are built by owner! See my previous post to this thread regarding possible win, win strategies to see how that situation could be changed for the better.

So how do you know the sales volume of the Fling DLG, Kenny? Are you a great planes sales employee or one of their executives?

EDIT: Post got reported for accusing Kenny of lying about knowing the sales volume of the Fling DLG, so have asked him how he knows the sales volume instead.
ThermalSniffer is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSniffer
Last edited by ThermalSniffer; May 06, 2013 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Edited on moderator request
Old May 06, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Jul 2011
750 Posts
where does it say in the original post " what DLG can I copy " they asked what is popular.

I guess (not being American) I dont always see the 'worst case scenario" in every situation.

more gliders will kill the hobby..... remember that.