SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:28 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
Finally finished my RV-4!!!

Finally finished it, this is the second time i have covered a model with film. The first one was 12 years ago, a trainer and i quit the hobby shortly after... Mostly cause the plane was so ugly ... Ok i couldnt fly it either . I really enjoyed the build and after reading Dreamer (Martin's) posts on covering it was a cinch to do.
The baby powder really works!!!!! The pull/pull system was hard for me to setup cause im a bit hamfisted but it is surely an elegant way of running the controls.

Specs:

GWS 300 (untimed)
etec 1200 2s pack
full house (using one servo for each aileron)
RTF 13oz (cheapy kitchen scale)

I am thinking bout a Himax brushless with 3s in the future. The real bummer is i cant maiden it till spring *sniff*

Here are some pics

Cass is offline Find More Posts by Cass
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:34 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Great looking scheme. Good job! I just finished framing a Park CAP and have to get it covered now too.

Did you paint or cover the wheel pants?
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:36 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Cass,

That sure is a nice looking covering job! You'll have to let us know how she maidens. I think the RV-4 will be my next Balsa plane, still need to complete my G-Ride, so probably around summer time. She looks great!

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:45 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
CC, thx. I laboured over weather to add something to the tale or not... Still not sure, was gonna use a positive/negative maple leaf but i cant decide. On the wheel pants i used WBPU and baby powder mixed and applied 3 coats, lightly sanding between them then i painted them.

Slowrider. I love the way the RV-4 looks and it really builds easily i cant wait to maiden her but i thought i would best get some pics of her first .

I'd like to thank Chris Parent too, without his advice im sure i would have screwed up the canopy and paint match. Thx Chris!
Old Jan 12, 2004, 10:59 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
Looks great Cass! Nice scheme very well executed!

-Bill
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:07 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Info, Info, Info, Info.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Cass
Still not sure, was gonna use a positive/negative maple leaf but i cant decide.
Not a maple leaf guy myself but go for it. Show some "country" pride! It will look great on there!

Quote:
On the wheel pants i used WBPU and baby powder mixed and applied 3 coats, lightly sanding between them then i painted them.
What is WBPU? Why do you mix it with Baby Powder? What kind of ratio? I have two sets of wheel pants to finish for my Park Cap and GRide and need all of the help I can get. How does this help the paint?

Quote:
I'd like to thank Chris Parent too, without his advice im sure i would have screwed up the canopy and paint match. Thx Chris!
Chris Parent's RV-4 looks unbelievable but please share on the paint match and canopy help. Info, Info, Info, Info....

I'm covering using the Oracover from Hobby-Lobby so any help you can give on finding the best color match would be great.

Again, looks great.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:29 PM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Sudbury, Ont. Canada
Joined Feb 2002
1,253 Posts
WBPU -> Water Based PolyUrethane. you can buy it at any home improvement store. Its supposed to work good with glass cloth. I wanted to fill in the gaps in the wood so i used it with baby powder. As far as consistancy goes, i just used the old TLAR technique . Just pour some in a container and then start adding BP a bit at a time till it looks milky and is thicker. I would HIGHLY recommend a good sanding with fine sand paper before you start with the WBPU. I didnt and i wish i had, it would give a much smoother finish. Im sure you can get a glass like finish if you sand properly first. Mine came out ok but i could have done better..... hind sight....

Quote:
Chris Parent's RV-4 looks unbelievable but please share on the paint match and canopy help. Info, Info, Info, Info
He helped me match the red solite with a timaya paint and advised me to paint the painted areas on the canopy white first before the red, as the red wouldnt be opaque if i didnt. Also he said to use electrical tape to mask over the prepainted areas of the canopy. This worked very well and didnt pull the white off the plastic.

Quote:
I'm covering using the Oracover from Hobby-Lobby so any help you can give on finding the best color match would be great.
Sorry cant help you there . This was my first go with Solite and the last covering i used was for slimmers and i have no idea what type it was now, way too long ago. Im sure some here can give you a good match for your colors though.

Cass
Old Feb 06, 2004, 10:07 AM
Joined Dec 2002
427 Posts
Looks terrific

Hiya Cass,

Sorry been off e-zone for a bit.

The RV looks terrific. Yeah, waiting is hard, but it is a really great flying design and you'll love it in the spring.

Your AUW weight is extremely light in my opinion. Why not a timed motor?

This ship should be a real floater, so I would maiden on a dead-calm day to get the feel for landings which I think will be very slow to get your helium ship to sink.

Badly worded above as this plane just will love to be FLOWN right down until the wheels touch. No dropping it onto the ground.

Thanks for posting the pics - again looks great.

CP
ctparent is offline Find More Posts by ctparent
Old Feb 06, 2004, 10:42 AM
A Clinger
Butte, MT
Joined Sep 2001
7,075 Posts
Looks great!

Add your pic here :

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...98#post1797198
rclark is offline Find More Posts by rclark
Old Feb 06, 2004, 11:00 AM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,503 Posts
Cass,

It looks wonderful! Congrats on some fine work.

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Feb 06, 2004, 10:17 PM
Jefferson, GA
Joined Jul 2002
1,220 Posts
Very nice indeed. Good luck on the maiden.

David J.
DavidJ is offline Find More Posts by DavidJ
Old Feb 07, 2004, 12:53 AM
United States, NC, Kernersville
Joined Sep 2003
59 Posts
Nice job with the rv4, I'm considering one of these myself but I'm torn between the Stevens Aero version and the upcoming Greatplanes version....ahhh choices

Again smashing effort....are we to expect video in the spring following the maiden???
checkprop is offline Find More Posts by checkprop
Old Feb 07, 2004, 08:20 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by checkprop
Nice job with the rv4, I'm considering one of these myself but I'm torn between the Stevens Aero version and the upcoming Greatplanes version....ahhh choices
Since the price is the same, the only question is, do you prefer an already built and covered ARF, or do you prefer to put it together yourself (very, very quickly - 2 nights), and then cover it in whatever scheme your imaginations lets you come up with. I would urge you to consider Stevens Aero over Great Planes for the following reasons:
1. The SA RV4 is a great quality, easy to build and cover plane, that is well proven to fly great.

2. It's available now!

3. The price is the same (SA is a bit cheaper actually)

4. Support Bill Stevens - he is the underdog here. He does great work on all his kits, and does not make much money from the planes he sells. Great Planes is a money-sucking monster. Let the glow guys buy their heavy planes from them.

5. The SA RV-4 is lighter (mine is 13oz with 3S Etec 1200, and 15.5oz with 3S TP2100, whereas the GP Rv4 is advertized to be in the 18-22oz range)

6. Have you heard the other name that GP goes by - "Great Pains"!

Anyway, just thought I'd toss in my 2 cents.
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e