HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 07:07 PM
Official Stupid Question Asker
United States, TX, San Juan
Joined Mar 2013
3,771 Posts
Rant
This hobby is driving me insane!

Why? Because everything involves waiting. I hate waiting.

I have to wait for a decent day to fly.
I have to wait for any part that breaks or is defective to arrive.
I have to wait because the parts always arrive on a day with 30+ mph winds
I have to wait to figure out how to actually do something with the parts once the get here.

I am SO hooked on this stuff that I imagine the waiting is like a heroine addict being out of his or her drugs and going through withdrawals.

Yes I am jonesing on not being able to fly. And it will not get any better until at least Saturday. The PAIN!

I bought myself a F550 hexa and yes I sucked at flying it at first so I broke a
a few props and had to wait for the replacements, now I have a dozen on hand and haven't broken one since. Then I had a few ahem, hard landings and broke a leg...or 3.. Had to wait for the replacements. I bought a full extra set just incase but haven't broke one since.
Then usb port fell off the FC [a MWC clone] and then the board went toast a week later. Had to send it back and the replacement is not here yet.

Bought a MW Pro with GPS and the GPS module died, had to send it back and the replacement is not here yet.

Now I am waiting for one of the replacement boards or one of the new boards I ordered to have on hand and the weather is AWESOME and I can't fly.

Yes this hobby is crack and the dealers all live in China

/RANT
TheQuestor is online now Find More Posts by TheQuestor
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: QTipToo.8 Part 5
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, VA, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
Why? Because everything involves waiting. I hate waiting.

I have to wait for a decent day to fly.
I have to wait for any part that breaks or is defective to arrive.
I have to wait because the parts always arrive on a day with 30+ mph winds
I have to wait to figure out how to actually do something with the parts once the get here.

I am SO hooked on this stuff that I imagine the waiting is like a heroine addict being out of his or her drugs and going through withdrawals.

Yes I am jonesing on not being able to fly. And it will not get any better until at least Saturday. The PAIN!

I bought myself a F550 hexa and yes I sucked at flying it at first so I broke a
a few props and had to wait for the replacements, now I have a dozen on hand and haven't broken one since. Then I had a few ahem, hard landings and broke a leg...or 3.. Had to wait for the replacements. I bought a full extra set just incase but haven't broke one since.
Then usb port fell off the FC [a MWC clone] and then the board went toast a week later. Had to send it back and the replacement is not here yet.

Bought a MW Pro with GPS and the GPS module died, had to send it back and the replacement is not here yet.

Now I am waiting for one of the replacement boards or one of the new boards I ordered to have on hand and the weather is AWESOME and I can't fly.

Yes this hobby is crack and the dealers all live in China

/RANT

I feel your pain buddy... but i think i kinda enjoy the fixing part of the hobby. If I get a few days in a row of flying and not having to fix something i kinda get bored. Don't get me wrong, I love to fly, but i also love having a project. The waiting part does really really suck though. We need some more distributers in the US.
dizzyjw is offline Find More Posts by dizzyjw
Old May 01, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, MI, Dansville
Joined Oct 2012
493 Posts
hahahahahaha sounds like me. i stopped building a custom rock crawler and a 5th scale losi5ive. to build my spyder upgraded 450. and im hooked. although i did buyextra armas and such knowing i would break them but i soon went through them in about a week. now i had to order more parts from a shop in the U.S. just to keep the fix coming while i waited for the cheap ones from china also. but i have will soon have extras of arms and props so i wont have to worry. but the bad part is that im flying it and i thenk im getting better andi haveng broken anything in a week or so.but now that i just jynxed myself i will break everything hahahahahaha.
dybbob is offline Find More Posts by dybbob
Old May 01, 2013, 07:24 PM
United States, IN, Jeff
Joined Dec 2012
358 Posts
I've been waiting on props for a week that shipped two states away. Seems quads have all the rave right now. Heck I just got into them.
offtopic is offline Find More Posts by offtopic
Old May 01, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Dec 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by offtopic View Post
I've been waiting on props for a week that shipped two states away. Seems quads have all the rave right now. Heck I just got into them.

Me too... Seems like i got into this right when everything is out of stock... haha immersion stuff, graupner props, fatshark, etc.... It's hard to find this stuff
Old May 01, 2013, 07:36 PM
Waterville, Maine
Joined Oct 2006
405 Posts
I use to be the same way when I was into my Tmaxx. It got to a point that I had a spare for everything and sometimes even more than I would ever need. I find myself doing that with my Quad. Just looking at it sitting there,drives me nuts. Parts are not easy to come by so like you I wait and wait. But Im starting to accumulate a good stash of spares. But not enough...ITS NEVER ENOUGH!!! Your not alone bro
KillerOfDolts is online now Find More Posts by KillerOfDolts
Old May 01, 2013, 07:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3,771 Posts
I bought a dozen DJI 1038's and they have been rock solid. Fairly well balanced though I still went through each one to make sure and only took a few days to get here. http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=127

I really like them.

I do agree having some time off to actually work on the stuff is good, but when you don't have the stuff to actually work ON blows.

All this extra time does for me is make me spend more money on stuff for it and then have to wait for them to get here or makes me find all this other stuff I want to buy for it but have to wait to get paid so I can actually buy it and then wait for it to get here.

Also it seems that each time I buy for it I get better stuff which costs more money so not only is there a wait issue, now it is an expensive hobby as well lol.

But at least that unlike a drug addiction I at least have something to show for all this cash lol. The withdrawals suck though.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 07:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts

this is all you ever need in this hobby
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 01, 2013, 08:11 PM
Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
772 Posts
LMAO! I'm with you except my wife wants to kick my ass for spending money and not spending time with her.
Fastgixxerlv is offline Find More Posts by Fastgixxerlv
Old May 01, 2013, 09:13 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,005 Posts
I never let little things like wind or less than perfect weather stop me from flying...

Lovely New England weather (5 min 35 sec)

RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old May 01, 2013, 09:18 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,722 Posts
There is a saying we have in one of my clubs, one plane is not enough, and two is too much. In other words it's good to have extras, but then you have to maintain them too.
antslake is online now Find More Posts by antslake
Old May 01, 2013, 09:26 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
612 Posts
It is truly amazing that some folks in the USA don't get together, invest a couple million and do it right......

They are gonna let China have this boom 100%. Not only the manufacturing, which is fine, but the entire retail chain from soup to nuts.

It's like a wet dream for them! They get to sell things and not have to stand behind them, worry about stuff like insurance, etc......

I already had careers in retail and importing......and still involved in too many things...or I'd I'd I'd put together an investor group to do it right.....
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 09:28 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestor View Post
But at least that unlike a drug addiction I at least have something to show for all this cash lol. The withdrawals suck though.
I don't think I've ever seen an "asset" that depreciates as quickly as many quads do.......

Not like tools and other stuff what often sell for as much or more than you paid originally. These often sell in pieces....
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 09:53 PM
Joined Mar 2013
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I don't think I've ever seen an "asset" that depreciates as quickly as many quads do.......

Not like tools and other stuff what often sell for as much or more than you paid originally. These often sell in pieces....
Even worse for my hexa, more legs = more parts sigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTRyder View Post
I never let little things like wind or less than perfect weather stop me from flying...

Me either really hence the broken legs and props and and and :P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 12:20 AM
Joined Dec 2012
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop View Post

this is all you ever need in this hobby

No.... That's no fun. I enjoy the build, the research involved, the begging for help on the forums, the trial and error... That's what makes this hobby so addicting i think. I would never get a Phantom...