Old May 01, 2013, 03:50 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Contest
BBCC 2 - Easybuilt's Pitcairn Fleeting - pburress

--NOTE-- Final Pics are on Post #29 on Page 2

My entry in this contest is Easy Built Model’s Pitcairn Fleetwing at 16” span. I ordered the model from http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/ca04.htm and entered the contest with literally minutes to spare before the entry deadline.

The Fleetwing was built in 1925, for use as a trainer and passenger carrier. In 1929 a Fleetwing C3261 took 20th place in the National Air Races. Apparent this airplane is still flying, though it crashed in 2012 and needs repairs.

One interesting note I found while researching is that the first Fleetwing prototype crashed on it’s maiden flight, due to control cables being reversed. Sound familiar to any modelers out there?

I will keep this as close to it’s free flight design as possible and will try to keep it modestly powered with the goal of low weight. I have a brick from a Parkzone Vapor. Not sure what motor I’ll use at this point, but the final weight will be a consideration there. According to Easybuiit’s site, the (free flight) prototype of the model weighed 18.1 grams.

This project is next in my build queue so I won’t be starting immediately. Currently I am working on a 12” Farman Sport Parasol over in the Scale Electric Planes forum, and will finish that before I dive into the Fleetwing.
pburress is online now Find More Posts by pburress
Last edited by pburress; Sep 09, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 06:24 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Welcome to the fray. I chuckled a bit to see your last-minute, bid-sniper-style entry into the contest.

I just wanted to mention... I could be wrong, but I believe the Vapor bricks have a lower current limit than the bricks in the higher performance micros, and won't be able to run anything but a Vapor motor. You might want to check into this.

Cheers,
Dave
BrundleFlyBy is online now Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old May 01, 2013, 06:35 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
Phil,
You should be able to come in at around 30-35 grams with that one and a Vapor brick and 7 mm motor unit should be fine. I run the 7 mm unit, and 5x3 GWS prop on the old Vapor bricks I have without problems. Since even the Mini Vapor brick can handle them (I've read) I can think of no reason the bigger brick won't.
I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. It's my sort of plane and I like that you're sticking with the original build style.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 01, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
663 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing this one fly. It looks great
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Old May 02, 2013, 12:31 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Thanks guys. This will be fun. I subscribed to the contest thread a couple of weeks ago and hemmed and hawed. I will double check the specs on my brick. Specifically it's from a night vapor. I will start updating when I start building, but it may be a while on that as I have one to finish first and family visiting next week to put a kabosh on the build time!
Last edited by pburress; May 02, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
Old May 27, 2013, 09:31 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
So Pete, can you point me to one of these 7mm motor units that will plug into the night vapor brick?
Old May 28, 2013, 03:10 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
HK list one, but it comes without a plug. If I can solder one on, anybody can. If you don't like soldering, and don't mind a heavier, faster model, go with a P-51 or Champ motor unit.

Pete
Old May 28, 2013, 10:13 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
I guess I'm a dummy because I don't see that on Hobbyking.com... what should I search for?
Old May 29, 2013, 03:27 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,754 Posts
Here you go mate. It's under motors, on gearboxes and parts.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...box_GPS_7.html

Pete
Old May 29, 2013, 10:44 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Ah, thanks Pete. I searched their site twice and even tried their CS chat with no luck. I picked up the motor and gearbox for the Parkzone P51 but at 8.5mm it seems overkill for this airplane. I will order the HK 7mm and save the P51 motor for a future project.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:13 AM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
My name is Phil, and I am a pin-aholic.

This stabilizer is not going anywhere!
Old May 29, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined May 2009
600 Posts
Yep, I'd say she's "stuck".
cd_webb is offline Find More Posts by cd_webb
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:24 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
I've been busy

I finished my other build of Peter Rake's 12" Farman Parasol and it was a great success, so I am stoked to finish this Pitcairn. The rudder was framed (yes I used lots of pins), then hinge points for the sewn hinges as well as a plate to hold the control horn were added. The tail feathers were lightly sanded and covered in the kit supplied tissue.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:35 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
Next came the fuselage, built in a standard manner. I thought that it might be tricky due to the roughly triangular cross section up front, but it came together very well, and very straight!

Since I will just attach the motor with epoxy, I decided to add a little depron to the firewall, to give it some depth to hold the motor securely using less glue.

I also, on a whim, added some cardstock to the inside of the nose. I was thinking this would be helpful to attach the brick and battery tray. This remains to be seen and I may end up removing some of this later on.
Last edited by pburress; Aug 30, 2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 05:39 PM
Kansas is windy.
Wichita, KS
Joined Jun 2003
1,554 Posts
I like the plans, but I'm surprised that no CG is given!