Old May 01, 2013, 12:52 PM
aerialskycam
Joined Feb 2011
149 Posts
Rant
Recent bad AP publicity

http://www.zanesvilletimesrecorder.c...s-Lady-Justice

Quote:
Yager did say there could be a violation with the Federal Aviation Administration.

“I don’t know if there’s some FAA violations or not,” he said. “That would be federal.”

A question and answer section from the FAA’s website explains speculations on usage for model aircraft.

“FAA guidance says that model aircraft flights should be kept below 400 feet above ground level, should be flown a sufficient distance from populated areas and full scale aircraft, and are not for business purposes,” the website detailed.
AerialSkyCam is offline Find More Posts by AerialSkyCam
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, VA, Culpeper
Joined Dec 2012
234 Posts
Wow, that statue looks so much better now!

In all seriousness though, obviously he was flying too close to the statue.
live2rc is offline Find More Posts by live2rc
Old May 01, 2013, 01:39 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,336 Posts
More bad publicity possibly ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881947

Read the first post and ....... well..... be lost for words ...............
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old May 01, 2013, 03:21 PM
olivier
Dinan ,Brittany ,France
Joined Jun 2007
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
More bad publicity possibly ?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881947

Read the first post and ....... well..... be lost for words ...............
Waoh quite upsetting indeed!!!
olivdudu is offline Find More Posts by olivdudu
Old May 01, 2013, 11:41 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,894 Posts
7lb 9in remote control helocopter. The news being completely inaccurate again.

And it's not a freakin drone, drones kill people.

I hate this crap.

They should obviously use another quad to get it down. It's been done before.
antslake is online now Find More Posts by antslake
Old May 01, 2013, 11:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Not all drones kill. Some are used for spying and some for rescue work.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...olumn/2124979/
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Old May 01, 2013, 11:55 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Jet Mech View Post
Not all drones kill. Some are used for spying and some for rescue work.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinio...olumn/2124979/
No kidding sherlock. If the liberals can change the meaning of words to suit their agenda, then so can I. The word drone implies bad things. Aerial photography much more represents our hobby.
Old May 02, 2013, 03:00 AM
Marcus Franco
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Jul 2004
2,887 Posts
I think they outha leave the statue the way it is
Looks good with the phantom on the arms of Justice...
Guga is offline Find More Posts by Guga
Old May 02, 2013, 06:45 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
If the liberals can change the meaning of words to suit their agenda, then so can I.
I hate to tell you this Matlock but the ones crying the loudest about drones are Republicans. The word "drone" has been around since Eisenhower. Drones were part of "Star Wars" funding and developed to their killing potential during the Reagan years. We can all pretend it's a model plane or quadcopter but if it carries a camera and has gps for semi autonomous flight, it is correctly classified as a "drone". I can use a pistol as a hammer but it's still a pistol no matter what I use it for.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/37...ibuster/493933
Navy Jet Mech is offline Find More Posts by Navy Jet Mech
Last edited by Navy Jet Mech; May 02, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
Old May 02, 2013, 06:47 AM
bat
cincinnati
Joined Jun 2003
1,459 Posts
The simple solution barring local political positioning would be for the pilot to pay the expense for the rental of a boom lift and operator to get the quad down. Might set him back the cost of his rc aircraft but mistakes are costly. Doing AP around public property is always risky.
bat is offline Find More Posts by bat
Old May 02, 2013, 07:04 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Jet Mech View Post
I hate to tell you this Matlock but the ones crying the loudest about drones are Republicans. The word "drone" has been around since Eisenhower. Drones were part of "Star Wars" funding and developed to their killing potential during the Reagan years. We can all pretend it's a model plane or quadcopter but if it carries a camera and has gps for semi autonomous flight, it is correctly classified as a "drone". I can use a pistol as a hammer but it's still a pistol no matter what I use it for.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/37...ibuster/493933
WOW, you must be liberal? That article has NOTHING to do with us flying R/C planes with cameras on them. Or does even come close to saying Republican(s) love drones the most. Please.....

I am fed up with the liberal biased media (and the conservative ones too) in this country. Freedom of speech was created to give all of us an equal voice, and that's not what it is happening. The people with the most money have the loudest voice. To me that is the very thing that this country was trying to escape from when being founded.

To the average person in America (your local scientifically illiterate idiot) when he/she hears the word "drone" on TV freaks out thinking that an average guy like you or me has that technology available to them over the counter.

Your military style drone is far different than the ones we use for pleasure, and I don't like it being lumped into the same category because it just all adds up to bad press. The media can't even get a single story correct, wth do they know.

I think our models should not be called drones anymore. The liberals change words all the time to shift the image that the word produces when said. Let's do it too. It's Aerial Photography, which is a hobby.
Old May 02, 2013, 07:05 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guga View Post
I think they outha leave the statue the way it is
Looks good with the phantom on the arms of Justice...
You know, this is a great point. To me, it's a sign from God that we as Americans should be embracing AP.
Old May 02, 2013, 11:47 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,894 Posts
Oh, to navy jet tech, I apologize for calling you sherlock. Mis-placed anger over a topic I am passionate about.
Old May 02, 2013, 01:28 PM
Stuart
UK, Cardiff
Joined Dec 2008
3,336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
I think our models should not be called drones anymore. The liberals change words all the time to shift the image that the word produces when said. Let's do it too. It's Aerial Photography, which is a hobby.
I would agree.

However is a FPV model flown from a remote location where the pilot cannot see the plane, behaving like a 'drone' or just doing AP ?
srnet is offline Find More Posts by srnet
Old May 02, 2013, 01:40 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by srnet View Post
I would agree.

However is a FPV model flown from a remote location where the pilot cannot see the plane, behaving like a 'drone' or just doing AP ?
While everyone in here is not governed by the ama, current ama regulations say there must be an observer operating the primary tx, and the fpv person gets the buddy box. Doing fpv any other way is breaking current fcc rules regarding rc.
Closed Thread