HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:43 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Discussion
Montgomery Hill - suitable for RC gliders?

Has anyone flown RC gliders from Montgomery Hill in the East San Jose (Evergreen area?) open space area?

Last week at the "Quest for Flight" on John Montgomery book review and signing event, I met Gary Fogel (book co-author, full size and RC sail plane pilot). As part of Gary's research, he flew an RC glider from this peak, the same peak Montgomery used over a century ago.

Can we get some feed back on the suitability of this site as a possible candidate for club flying? Has anyone been there? What's the access like? From the Google map it appears to not be in San Jose. I found it on a Google map by searching for "Montgomery Hill".

Noel
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 01:33 AM
∞ Boundary Layer
Joined May 2004
382 Posts
Located behind the Evergreen College campus. Bruce & I used to fly electric gliders off of the hill on Sunday mornings, about 9 years ago. The climb to the top is a bit brisk. We parked in the campus parking lot. There are usually other Sunday flyers, on the other side of the campus (3 D guys).
Rich
rduder is offline Find More Posts by rduder
Old May 01, 2013, 02:41 AM
Competition & Safety Mgr. SBSS
Gilroy, CA
Joined Apr 2003
179 Posts
Flat areas?

Are there any flat areas?
wizzzer is offline Find More Posts by wizzzer
Old May 01, 2013, 09:48 AM
Sean Worthington
Campbell, CA
Joined Sep 2004
248 Posts
I did about 35 years ago with an Aquila and then again about 7-8 years back. Everything seems to get smaller with time.

There are no real flat spots. There is a small, tight North facing bowl that I have sloped TD ships on. Not really big enough for a fast, heavy ship.

Very nostalgic though!,

Sean
S-1-11B is online now Find More Posts by S-1-11B
Old May 02, 2013, 02:00 AM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,168 Posts
Yep, it's less than 5 minutes from the house. Tried many times, all differant wind directions, like Sean said, only suitable for very light air ships, sometimes. I think we flew Alulas and Weasels up there with limited success.
The overflow dirt parking lot is good for flying, and you could set up a winch, but you have to land on dirt. Have flown electric sport planes there a lot, and there is a small group out there every weekend.
Now, if you follow the road out behind the school, and go back about a mile there are several big fields that would be flyable, if we could get permission from the land owners.

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01
Old May 05, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cupertino, CA
Joined Dec 2008
280 Posts
Bruce,
Can you give me best directions for getting to this site? I suspect it may be from the school parking lot which I'm not familiar with. From the Google map it looks like the field is behind the Villages or some other condo/apartment community.

Noel
Noel Eberhardt is offline Find More Posts by Noel Eberhardt
Old May 06, 2013, 10:32 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,168 Posts
Which site Noel? Montgomery Hill is directly behind Evergreen College - Google maps shows Montgomery Hill Observatory at the school and there is a plaque at the top of the hill to the NE - about a 5 minute hike from the back parking lots.

Bruce
blewis01 is online now Find More Posts by blewis01