HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:12 PM
United States, MN, South St Paul
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Discussion
FPV goggles

hello, i'm thinking of getting some goggles for my fpv, for now i have been using a homemade head mounted display and a LCD on my GS.

First is it possible to just connect the goggles to my 1.2 rx video out?

second if i were to purchase some that come with the 5.8 system can i simply run the Vout from my 1.2rx to the Vin on the 5.8tx and then get the video signal in the goggles form my 1.2 system that way? cord free basically?

finally what is a good setup with 640x480 minimum around 300.00 or less?

thanks!
Saqueeb is offline Find More Posts by Saqueeb
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:14 PM
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Mar 2008
249 Posts
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...ex&cPath=11_22
Qnzkrew is offline Find More Posts by Qnzkrew
Old Apr 29, 2013, 02:42 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCoen View Post
hello, i'm thinking of getting some goggles for my fpv, for now i have been using a homemade head mounted display and a LCD on my GS.

First is it possible to just connect the goggles to my 1.2 rx video out? Yes

second if i were to purchase some that come with the 5.8 system can i simply run the Vout from my 1.2rx to the Vin on the 5.8tx and then get the video signal in the goggles form my 1.2 system that way? cord free basically? Yes, and this is what I do.

finally what is a good setup with 640x480 minimum around 300.00 or less?
For <$300 the Fat Shark Predator V2 is a all around good starter set, thats just my opinion.

thanks!
Hope this helps
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
thank you that does help!!

now one more question.

is the 5.8 system worth it to get the predators, or am i better offjust wiring in and using the dominators?

it sounds like the dominators have a much better picture.

thanks
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:26 PM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
thank you that does help!!

now one more question.

is the 5.8 system worth it to get the predators, or am i better offjust wiring in and using the dominators?

it sounds like the dominators have a much better picture.

thanks
The dominators have the best picture out of all the Fat Shark goggles. I chose the Attitudes instead because they have a slightly less picture quality, but have a 35 degree FOV, adjustable IP, and have headtracking built in. Althought i have never used the heatracking, it is still an option if I ever want to.

I started out on 5.8. Loved it. The only reason I moved to 1.3 is because of penetration. When I got my quad I flew low and so I needed a stronger signal for behind objects. So I fly 1.3 and use my 5.8 as a relay to wirelessly send my signal back to my goggles.

5.8 is a great system to start on or for people that have been fpv-ing for 10 years. Nothing wrong with 5.8. It has the best picture out of all the freq, and can still go longer range with the right setup. Just make sure that you have a clear line of sight between the vtx and vrx.

Check out fat sharks website for a chart that has all of the goggles on them and a comparason.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:10 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,790 Posts
The Boscam goggles have 5.8 and 2.4 built in. Plus head tracking. Video in and out. I like mine, but they are the only pair of goggles I've ever had, so...
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:16 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,386 Posts
Just keep in mind the band restrictions. Fat shark w buit in Rx only receive from ImmersionRC and airwave type vTx. Boscam/fox tech goggles w built in Rx receive from a much wider range of vTx. I have old fatshark base goggs which suck, and the Boscam AIO goggles which rock.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:53 AM
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Just keep in mind the band restrictions. Fat shark w buit in Rx only receive from ImmersionRC and airwave type vTx. Boscam/fox tech goggles w built in Rx receive from a much wider range of vTx. I have old fatshark base goggs which suck, and the Boscam AIO goggles which rock.
Well, not really a fair comparison as the BASE goggles were in production before Boscam and most of the world even knew what FPV was. Lets at least acknowledge that the goggles you are using as a bench mark for Fat Shark quality are out of production and been replaced by newer models. Sure, in retrospect the BASE goggles could've been designed better, but at the time there were no other products for me to reference. The Attitudes have proven to be a very popular goggle.
Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:34 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
The Attitudes have proven to be a very popular goggle.
Fat Shark
I love my attitudes. Wouldn't trade them for anything.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:40 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
Well, not really a fair comparison as the BASE goggles were in production before Boscam and most of the world even knew what FPV was. Lets at least acknowledge that the goggles you are using as a bench mark for Fat Shark quality are out of production and been replaced by newer models. Sure, in retrospect the BASE goggles could've been designed better, but at the time there were no other products for me to reference. The Attitudes have proven to be a very popular goggle.
Fat Shark
So the current Base SD goggles sold at hobbyking still uses the same optics as the first gen? I would have thought they've upgraded the LCD and lenses Am planning on getting an LCD monitor initially and eventually upgrading to a baseSD.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
so the boscams look like they are 370.00+ that is a good amount of $$ for just the goggles, where as the altitudes are 360.00 and that comes with the 5.8 system included.

now it seems that the boscams may have a better picture, but is it ~100.00 better??

i ask because if it is, then i dont have an issue spending the extra $$. for those who have used them how would you rate in order of best to worst image quality:
boscam, dominator, altitude.

thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:50 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,386 Posts
Boscam only come with both 5.8 and 2.4 rx built in. Also head tracker is std.

It is true the newer top model Fats harks have great image quality, similar to the Boscams. Ideally try them all as there are FOV differences. Iirc the attitude have wider FOV which some prefer and others do not prefer.

I had to rewire my Boscams due to weak connectivity. I do not know what FS wiring is like these days

Ideally some day maybe someone will offer a gogg with multi band vrx, unlike today.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Apr 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:34 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,393 Posts
The only thing I dislike about my FatShark Dominators are the colors are grayish. I prefer vivid colors. Other than that, I can't say a single bad thing about them.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2013, 01:49 PM
Too many numbers
United States, OH, Troy
Joined Oct 2010
1,790 Posts
Quote:
so the boscams look like they are 370.00+ that is a good amount of $$ for just the goggles, where as the altitudes are 360.00 and that comes with the 5.8 system included.

now it seems that the boscams may have a better picture, but is it ~100.00 better??

i ask because if it is, then i dont have an issue spending the extra $$. for those who have used them how would you rate in order of best to worst image quality:
boscam, dominator, altitude.

thanks!
This isn't correct. They come with BOTH 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz receivers, and head tracking. And if you go to Hobbyking and click on them- and wait for a few minutes for the "one time offer" window to pop up, they are $348.
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:15 PM
Joined Dec 2011
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
This isn't correct. They come with BOTH 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz receivers, and head tracking. And if you go to Hobbyking and click on them- and wait for a few minutes for the "one time offer" window to pop up, they are $348.
but i still need a Vtx.... i am running 1.3ghz....so i would need a 5.8 or 2.4 vtx also....

i'd have to say at this point i'm leaning toward the dominators, + a 5.8 system to put in them. (but no one has them in stock) or the Attitudes that come with everything.....but sound to have worse image quality??? i just have a hard time spending ~500.00 on a wireless goggle solution.

and i do not plan on using the head tracker.