Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:35 PM
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Mar 2006
438 Posts
Question
Where do you buy your foam?

I don't want to buy it online and I don't have a local hobby shop! Where do you buy your foam?

I have a lowes, dollar tree, hobby lobby, home depot, maybe some other arts and crafts stores..

Any ideas? I want to build a .40 size high wing trainer..
andrewtexas123 is offline Find More Posts by andrewtexas123
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:06 PM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,176 Posts
Well I use Lowes, dollar tree and White Cap for my foam.

Looks like you have a few dollar tree stores near you.

There are a few threads on the 4 sized foam planes. The Beaver and a Cub should fit your needs. They are built out of 1/2 extruded foam, not the stuff from Dollar store. You can get the 1", 2" and they hot wire cut it down to 1/2 inch.

BUzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:10 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,413 Posts
So, like a 42" span BluBaby? If so, then haunt the big box stores and see if they have fanfold in your area (not available all over CA, as I understand, only a few places - misguided green folk running things, i guess) If they don't carry it, then look for building supply stores that handle siding or even local lumber yards. You might even try tile supply stores, as some fff is used as underlay for tile and pergo type floors. If none of them are a success, then Dollar tree stores will have Readiboard (probably) but for a larger plane you will have to do some doubling up to achieve good stiffness.

.... or you can get a box of 16 pure white foam sheets from modelplanefoam.com, but that's online. ah, well.....

So, how big is a .40 size plane anyway? never have figured out how to translate egine displacement into plane dimensions....
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:15 AM
AKA Don
Troy, MI USA
Joined Dec 2002
7,521 Posts
www.modelplanefoam.com is online but we are located in Michigan, members of RCGroups and easy to do business with.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:46 AM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
www.modelplanefoam.com is online but we are located in Michigan, members of RCGroups and easy to do business with.
shameless self promotion Im not bashing, i used to have to do the same thing 8-9 years ago when I was making chassis for the Mini-T

I use Readi-Board, and very little else. The stuff you get from Dollar Tree. For peices larger then the 20"x30" you will need to edge join some sheets. Gorilla Glue or Hotglue will work for this. You tape two sheets together on one side of the foam, flip over aply glue between the sheets and then let rest ON A FLAT SURFACE till the glue dries.

I also live in CA so there are not a lot of places to get lots of foam. you can try trolling around construction sites and see if they have any big scraps but unlikely.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Apr 29, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:05 AM
Southern California
Joined Apr 2007
818 Posts
Random Lowes stores have fff. And random home depot stores have pink foam. I have two of each close to me and neither of em carried fff or pink foam. I had to drive a bit to get my pink foam. Just go to their websites and see which ones in your area carry them. Or Dollar Tree, like has been suggested. All of them carry the 20x30 foam boards.
mckolit is offline Find More Posts by mckolit
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:10 AM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,838 Posts
Michaels' sells Elmers' redi/illustration board, 20" x 30" sheets
A bit more $ than 1$ store stuff but imo of a bit better quality, so you do get something for the extra 1$.
Glidden 'Gripper' (primer Paint) makes for .truly... Excellent.. foam laminating (and other ) adhesive
Really cheap as bonus.
Dow (typically Blue) foam is a construction product and readily available at any real Construction supply business.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:08 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Glidden 'Gripper' (primer Paint) makes for .truly... Excellent.. foam laminating (and other ) adhesive
Not available in CA (dont know why, but every store ive gone to cant get it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
Dow (typically Blue) foam is a construction product and readily available at any real Construction supply business.
Every one ive gone to will only sell you enough to do your entire house.

Some lame CA restricions prevent some products being sold in CA, or make it such a hassle that companies willing to sell it will only do large volumes of it to make the hassle worth it. Fair warning.

You can try and see f there is a ProBuild in your area. They tend to sell higher quality stuff then Home Depot or Lowes, so they may have a higher chance of the beter stuff mentioned.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Last edited by OutcastZeroOne; Apr 29, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 03:33 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,413 Posts
We get Dow HP LF fff here in Mi from Allied building products for something like $50-60/bundle. At least we did before MPF came along.....Allied is a national chain, so if you google them, you can find if they have stores near you.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2013, 04:50 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
Dollar Tree is your best bet. They have stores almost everywhere. $1 per sheet and the paper comes off really easy. I buy it a case at a time, very convienent, comes in 25 sheets per case in its own display box for $25.00, great deal. If they don't have in stock they will get what you need delivered to their store FREE of shipping charges within a week. Read a few post here in this thread, page 76 . A good discussion about how easy the paper comes off of $Tree Foam. --> http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...020909&page=76

I like FFF but it is really hard to find in my area. Although it has to be purchased online and is expensive, I occasionally order small quanities of EPP from RCFOAM.com.

-Buk
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Last edited by 7up; Apr 30, 2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old May 01, 2013, 01:03 AM
Fremont, CA
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jan 2009
1,593 Posts
I believe that Dublin Lowe's has FFF.
djacob7 is online now Find More Posts by djacob7