SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:18 PM
United States, FL, Lady Lake
Joined Oct 2013
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
My F450 took off about 250 times in GPS mode, maybe half was without a proper GPS lock, quite often not leveled at all, and never had any issue.
Same here...

But I did have a tip over with Phantom early on, with a gimbal. Since then I learned to take off more aggressively.
Modglock20 is offline Find More Posts by Modglock20
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:22 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVSloper View Post
What would be the "ideal" setup for flying a F550 FPV for 20-30 flight times? This would include a Zenmuse w/ GP; IOSD; Naza V2 and running on 4s lipo.
The best way to get 30 minutes out of a F550 is to land at 15 minutes and change the battery, then finish your 30 minute flight.

Seriously the only way to do this is to change out the motors and esc for a 6s system. Even then you wont be able to carry anything but a huge battery.

DJI is promising 20+ flight times with their new E600 tuned prop/motor/esc combos. Once they actually ship you will have lots of people posting about the flight times they get with it.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:31 PM
Joined Oct 2013
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
Sounds like the motors/props were not setup correctly. Use the motor test feature in the assistant and verify the direction of rotation before first flight with a new config. Make sure that each prop is spinning in the proper direction and you have the correct prop on each motor. Motors 1 & 3 turn counter clock wise, motors 2 & 4 turn clock wise. Never take off in GPS. Start in ATTI and switch to GPS after you are in the air.
It would have flipped over immediately if motor direction was a problem. Spinning comes from getting less rotational compensation from adjacent motors.

So you'd have to find out why that is occurring.

Have motors on idle and check rpm. Which motor brand are you using? A bad motor, I suspect. Assuming you've done all the basic compass dance and IMU calibration, magnetic declination adjustment.

Also inadequate gain value for yaw can also cause it, but it would be a lazy spin.
Last edited by Modglock20; Jan 12, 2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:32 PM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukkenfutz View Post
Is there some reasoning behind this?
It's just one more thing that can go wrong. If for example the GPS is not adjusted corectly and the craft has "Toilet Bowl Effect" it can start moving in one direction shortly after take off. Especially when troubleshooting a new aircraft with problems, it is better to take the GPS out of the problem.

I have taken off many times with smaller craft in GPS mode with no problems. With my larger S800 I am more careful and always launch in Atti, and switch over after I am up verified I have control.
CG Photo is online now Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:42 PM
Australia, VIC, Hallam
Joined Dec 2013
909 Posts
I am currently seeking help from a mathematician in locating a lost/fly away aircraft if you have your home GPS location coordinates + distance and Azimuth angle inputs. The new firmware for DJI IOSD mark 2 introduced the Azimuth angle which can help all users using this OSD + FPV recorder to find there craft or reach closer to the lost location. Work in Progress.

The OSD for my Blixer 2 plane from HK have GPS coords display in the FPV screen/goggles. There is almost none reliable OSD which shows co-ordinates and if there is, they miss certain features or compatibility issue with the DJI components.
GoProAirRecon is offline Find More Posts by GoProAirRecon
Old Jan 12, 2014, 08:57 PM
Joined Oct 2013
619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoProAirRecon View Post
I am currently seeking help from a mathematician in locating a lost/fly away aircraft if you have your home GPS location coordinates + distance and Azimuth angle inputs. The new firmware for DJI IOSD mark 2 introduced the Azimuth angle which can help all users using this OSD + FPV recorder to find there craft or reach closer to the lost location. Work in Progress.

The OSD for my Blixer 2 plane from HK have GPS coords display in the FPV screen/goggles. There is almost none reliable OSD which shows co-ordinates and if there is, they miss certain features or compatibility issue with the DJI components.
If only it can carry an iPhone.... iPhone doesn't work underwater, though.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:12 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG Photo View Post
The best way to get 30 minutes out of a F550 is to land at 15 minutes and change the battery, then finish your 30 minute flight.

Seriously the only way to do this is to change out the motors and esc for a 6s system. Even then you wont be able to carry anything but a huge battery.

DJI is promising 20+ flight times with their new E600 tuned prop/motor/esc combos. Once they actually ship you will have lots of people posting about the flight times they get with it.
Ok, haha; what would be the maximum flight time for a F550 running 700kv on 4s and 5000mah? Also, is the 550 limited to 10 in. props? I am thinking about building a custom 550 for a friend and I am trying to get an idea what would be the best setup. I have a flip fpv 6s with 470 kv motors and only get 13-15 min. at 1800g AUW.
LVSloper is offline Find More Posts by LVSloper
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:21 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoProAirRecon View Post

Check out this Locator...http://www.theplanelocator.com/rcplane/index.html Meow!!!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:23 PM
Joined Dec 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modglock20 View Post
It would have flipped over immediately if motor direction was a problem. Spinning comes from getting less rotational compensation from adjacent motors.

So you'd have to find out why that is occurring.

Have motors on idle and check rpm. Which motor brand are you using? A bad motor, I suspect. Assuming you've done all the basic compass dance and IMU calibration, magnetic declination adjustment.

Also inadequate gain value for yaw can also cause it, but it would be a lazy spin.

Thanks for the info, but my motors were not rotating correctly. I thought i had them right, newb mistake! I'm running sunnysky 2212-980kv motors. I wish i could test it again, but its dark out and not enough space in my yard, if something was to go wrong again.
PB617 is offline Find More Posts by PB617
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:23 PM
Oy Vey...
United States, OH, Cleveland
Joined Dec 2012
694 Posts
EVERYONE DROP WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND GO POST PICS!

I need something pretty to look at...

F330/450/550 Gallery
Spread the word, joy comes to those that post.
M3Roc is online now Find More Posts by M3Roc
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:24 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStriker View Post
Or an APM/Pixhawk and you can tune just about everything to your heart's delight
Once you have got up the rather steep learning curve and figured out how to prevent the 3.3V regulator from blowing.
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:25 PM
USA, IL, Huntley
Joined Feb 2006
1,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB617 View Post
My maiden flight didn't go too well. My f450 went up and started spinning doing 360's and flying to the right. I tried to control it but it went down..thankfully only an arm broke and everything else is fine.

What would cause it to go up and just spin out of control?? I was also in GPS mode. I had all blinking green lights.
I don't know if it relates but one of my test flights that I posted earlier almost the same thing happened except for the 360's. I was in Attitude mode.
It came up fast and quickly to the right and crashed (no damage).
Further investigation found that the Naza had come loose and was at a 45 degree left angle so it was compensating and doing what it should in trying to right itself.
I don't know if this could be your problem or not but might be worth a check.
I wont trust that included double sided tape anymore.

EDIT: Never mind I see you solved the problem while I was typing.

Ed
race58 is offline Find More Posts by race58
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:31 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Nov 2011
1,320 Posts
The weather was nice today and I got a chance to test the 550 and the H3-2D. It flew real well and I was pleased with the H2-2D

10 Mile Park (11 min 20 sec)
FloridaFlyBob is online now Find More Posts by FloridaFlyBob
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:36 PM
It got away...
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2013
1,421 Posts
Well rcgroups fix your site. Why do I have a minimum word count for replys? Never had this trouble before and it is stopping me from posting how I want to. How annoying...
Number2 is online now Find More Posts by Number2
Old Jan 12, 2014, 09:44 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number2 View Post
Well rcgroups fix your site. Why do I have a minimum word count for replys? Never had this trouble before and it is stopping me from posting how I want to. How annoying...
You have the AimDroix Extended Arms ordered Number 2?
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK