HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2013, 03:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined May 2013
154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadamson View Post
No. Even in atti mode it will self level to a level position, so it will slow down over time. Your definition would be how manual behaves
Correct, ATTI stands for attitude and the craft will correct its attitude but the only thing that will slow it down is air resistance. If there is any wind, the craft will drift and not stop. Manual mode does not correct the attitude to upright but rather holds the attitude at the current stick input.
Empire Support 1 is offline Find More Posts by Empire Support 1
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2013, 03:54 PM
Joined Sep 2013
400 Posts
Which could be some good ESCs to match those sunnysky motors? Whats a good place to get the motors in the US, cheap and fast shipping.

Also what's the difference between ver. I and ver. II of the 2216 800kv
juanej is offline Find More Posts by juanej
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:24 PM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
428 Posts
Building up an F550 can you give me opinions on motors?
Please rate motors for quality in your opinion. I am trying to find a balance between quality and price.
Looking for heavy llifting rather than acrobatics. Thanks. Feel free to nominate a different brand. I want to stick with 3s to not loose my investment in batteries

Hacker A20-30M

Sunnysky X2216-12 800KV
Sunnysky V2216-12 800kv

T-Motors 2216-12 800kv

Rc Hobbies

Emax MT2216 810KV

RCTimer Hp2212 880KV

DJI 2212 920KV
=====================
MTB Guide I am not sure that just checking motors right out of the box is an absolute test of quality. It seems any of these inexpensive motors sometimes do come balanced and sometimes not from the factory. So I am not sure the video is valid because in any batch which ones are balanced from the factory and which are not could change from one order to the next. It would be more valid for someone to post that they have bought 20 motors, at diferent times, and they all came balanced from factory perfectly everytime. Also altho balanced motors should last longer it doesn't mean that the overall quality is better in the long run just because they ccome balanced from the factory.
mike_kelly is offline Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mike_kelly; Nov 17, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
It got away...
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Feb 2013
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTB guide View Post
Is that just out of the box new? Or balanced after purchase?
Number2 is offline Find More Posts by Number2
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
Portugal, Faro District
Joined May 2013
475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_kelly View Post
=====================
MTB Guide I am not sure that just checking motors right out of the box is an absolute test of quality. It seems any of these inexpensive motors sometimes do come balanced and sometimes not from the factory. So I am not sure the video is valid because in any batch which ones are balanced from the factory and which are not could change from one order to the next. It would be more valid for someone to post that they have bought 20 motors, at diferent times, and they all came balanced from factory perfectly everytime. Also altho balanced motors should last longer it doesn't mean that the overall quality is better in the long run just because they ccome balanced from the factory.
Like I said i can only comment on the ones I have, I have got 12 SS motors and I have checked them all. They were all consistent for balance, very good and I have only been running them for a couple of months for around four 10 minutes flights a day, no problems so far.
MTB guide is offline Find More Posts by MTB guide
Old Nov 17, 2013, 04:58 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Barry
Joined Mar 2012
298 Posts
DJI F450 over the South Wales Coastline

Cracking flight over Southerndown Beach on the rugged South Wales coastline.

There was very little breeze, it's just a shame it was overcast. The onboard altimeter told me those clouds I almost got lost in were at 570ft!

I've got a new 2 axis gimbal on order:

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/dji-phant...otography.html

Anybody using one?

DJI F450 flight over Southerndown Beach (2 min 57 sec)
tonyh0905 is offline Find More Posts by tonyh0905
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Sep 2013
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirlink View Post
Thank you eirlink that's exactly what I'm trying to say.
dg8one is offline Find More Posts by dg8one
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Sep 2013
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Support 1 View Post
Correct

Master ATTI as soon as you can as it is closer to non FC adjusted flight. Then move to mastering Manual mode
I will try flying on atti mode more often now to get used to it. Still get confuse when i can't tell the front of the craft. I tried to fly heli before after a week sold it.
dg8one is offline Find More Posts by dg8one
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:22 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,532 Posts
Quote:
Please rate motors for quality in your opinion. I am trying to find a balance between quality and price.
Looking for heavy llifting rather than acrobatics. Thanks. Feel free to nominate a different brand. I want to stick with 3s to not loose my investment in batteries

Hacker A20-30M

Sunnysky X2216-12 800KV
Sunnysky V2216-12 800kv

T-Motors 2216-12 800kv

Rc Hobbies

Emax MT2216 810KV

RCTimer Hp2212 880KV

DJI 2212 920KV ...
Let me help you by the process of elimination. RCTimer motors are the bottom of the barrel in my experience. Primarily because the bearings they use are marginal at best. Of the half a dozen motors I have purchased from them, the best were noisy and the worst got the bearings replaced. about a 50-50 split.

T-Motors seem to be the highest quality if you are talking about the MT series with top notch bearings. This is the top end of the price/quality spectrum.

Sunny Sky seems to be the winner here with the V series their highest quality and the X series very close behind. My vote is for the Sunny Sky when it comes to quality and value.

Currently using the stock DJI motors on my 550 without any issues. Although am building a custom carbon quad with Sunny Sky.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:26 PM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
Which could be some good ESCs to match those sunnysky motors? Whats a good place to get the motors in the US, cheap and fast shipping.

Also what's the difference between ver. I and ver. II of the 2216 800kv
Why not use stock dji 30a opto esc's? I'm running 2216 880 Sunnysky with dji 30a optos. They run great.

Version I has a collet style prop mount. Whereas version II, uses a single prop nut mount.
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:32 PM
Klaatu barada nikto
Australia, NSW, Randwick
Joined Apr 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintakax View Post
I take it you mean cut off the male bullet and solder the motor wire into the female bullet of the ESC ?
Yes, this.

Have only needed to do this on DJI motors but now it's a habit.
nukkenfutz is offline Find More Posts by nukkenfutz
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2013
400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTague View Post
Why not use stock dji 30a opto esc's? I'm running 2216 880 Sunnysky with dji 30a optos. They run great.

Version I has a collet style prop mount. Whereas version II, uses a single prop nut mount.
The high pitch noise they produce is so annoying
juanej is offline Find More Posts by juanej
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:46 PM
Wisconsin
United States, WI, Hayward
Joined Jan 2012
428 Posts
MTB Guide and Ken thanks for your feedback it really helps! What ESC's do you guys use?
mike_kelly is offline Find More Posts by mike_kelly
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Hacker A20-30M

Sunnysky X2216-12 800KV
Sunnysky V2216-12 800kv

T-Motors 2216-12 800kv

Rc Hobbies

Emax MT2216 810KV

RCTimer Hp2212 880KV

DJI 2212 920KV
=====================
my thoughts:

1. "heavy lift" & 3S is an oxymoron. IMO

Regarding the motors:

Hacker- Too small of motor

SunnySky's - Good choice.
The "V" series uses better/higher quality components.

T-motor- Same as SunnySky X motors, but twice the price.

emax- light weight motor. although, 240 grams LESS thrust than sunnysky X motors you listed.

RCTimer-rebranded motors...from whom? Who knows.Even less thrust compared to emax or SS.

DJI's- Cheap motor used in "kits." Rebranded, and the motor data is, apparently, "Top Secret", which throws up red flags, to me.

Just my .02
Old Nov 17, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanej View Post
The high pitch noise they produce is so annoying
Fly higher!