SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 03, 2013, 04:40 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,627 Posts
Since DJI ESCs are Optos with no BECs, you leave it all plugged, no need to remove the V+.
Olivier_C is online now Find More Posts by Olivier_C
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2013, 02:55 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,768 Posts
Some amazing aerial videos here.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/showcase/

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 08:10 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspence View Post
Hello! I have an F550 with DJI motors and ESC's that is only a few weeks old. I've had a problem with it from the very beginning. I've posted a video that shows the issue in flight. It sounds like a motor or ESC problem but I can't tell which one or how to troubleshoot the issue. I'm a pretty proficient solderer so I'm about 99% sure its not a cold solder joint. I've checked all the bullet connectors to see if any are loose as well. I'm using the Naza with GPS so I don't think its a config issue. The ESC's don't need to be calibrated (according to DJI) so I'm not sure what to try next. It could be a bad motor or ESC but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkmnqGotmI
That sounds like a broken arm, or a bad motor to me. The noise you hear could be from a vibrating crack in an arm, or a couple motors fighting each other and causing rpm differential noise. Flex your arms a little and look for cracks. Take the motor, and try to wiggle the outer casing separate from the inner and see if there is any play. Double check all your screws. That vibration you are hearing is driving the FC mad.

I had a bad motor from DJI, when I grabbed the outer part of the motor and wiggled it, it would make a clicking sound. Putting replacement bearings in did not help. I had to swap the motor, then my quad flew 100 times better.
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old May 05, 2013, 11:06 PM
United States, CA, Escondido
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antslake View Post
That sounds like a broken arm, or a bad motor to me. The noise you hear could be from a vibrating crack in an arm, or a couple motors fighting each other and causing rpm differential noise. Flex your arms a little and look for cracks. Take the motor, and try to wiggle the outer casing separate from the inner and see if there is any play. Double check all your screws. That vibration you are hearing is driving the FC mad.

I had a bad motor from DJI, when I grabbed the outer part of the motor and wiggled it, it would make a clicking sound. Putting replacement bearings in did not help. I had to swap the motor, then my quad flew 100 times better.
I think you may have pinpointed the problem. The arms are brand new and I've never had a hard landing or crash, so I'm about 99% sure its not a cracked arm. However, when you mentioned a clicking sound from a motor when you wiggled it, that jogged something in my brain that I remembered that happening. So I went back and wiggled all my motors and found one that had a small click to it like the outer case moved a bit when wiggling. The other 5 motors had no play in them at all. So perhaps this tiny thing is whats causing it.

I talked to the store today where I bought it and they said they'd be happy to look at it and help me troubleshoot it if I can come in on Tuesday when their 'quad guy' is there.

Hopefully this will resolve it because I really want to get this thing flying!
gspence is offline Find More Posts by gspence
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 11:10 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,734 Posts
What did you remember? LOL.

If you have a watt meter, you can disconnect all the motors by unplugging them from the ECS, and test one at a time with a prop and see what amps it is drawing. If the one making the clicking sound is significantly higher than the others, that would be it. Even still, that motor could have magnets rubbing inside causing interference.
Old May 05, 2013, 11:46 PM
Joined Apr 2013
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspence View Post
Yes, these are the stock DJI 10" props and I'm running a 3S battery as they suggested for that prop size.
The props could be out of balance. Even if new. You can get a balancer for $25
And use tape on the under side of the prop. Mine where all out of wack and fixed the problem.
scsurfer is offline Find More Posts by scsurfer
Old May 06, 2013, 12:16 AM
United States, CA, Escondido
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Quote:
What did you remember? LOL..
I remembered a few days back when I was messing with the motors that one of them had a slight little click when I wiggled it. At the time I didn't think that would be a big enough deal to cause the problem.
gspence is offline Find More Posts by gspence
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2013, 02:35 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
112 Posts
I know this is an owners thread, and hopefully I'll be an owner of one as well but...
What is the cheapest price that one can find a legit dji flamewheel? I stumbled upon this when I was on my phone, but hate making mobile payments and by the time I was home they were all sold. Are prices like this common, or should I just settle for one in the 350-400$ price range?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151034607530?...ht_2246wt_1393
Ombra is offline Find More Posts by Ombra
Old May 06, 2013, 04:25 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ombra View Post
I know this is an owners thread, and hopefully I'll be an owner of one as well but...
What is the cheapest price that one can find a legit dji flamewheel? I stumbled upon this when I was on my phone, but hate making mobile payments and by the time I was home they were all sold. Are prices like this common, or should I just settle for one in the 350-400$ price range?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/151034607530?...ht_2246wt_1393
$238 for the full kit. That is a low price. I payed $322 at my LHS.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2013, 05:05 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA View Post
$238 for the full kit. That is a low price. I payed $322 at my LHS.
So I shouldn't hold my breath to find another one that low?
Old May 06, 2013, 10:37 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,768 Posts
I would say no, I wouldn't. I would even be a little nervous buying it from someone at that low of a price, wondering if it is legitimate.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2013, 12:00 AM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,734 Posts
Did you call the guys I sent you a pm about? Not sure what the 550 goes for but I paid $170 in store for my 450. Power hobby. One arm more cant cost that much.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:45 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Apr 2013
112 Posts
Quote:
Did you call the guys I sent you a pm about? Not sure what the 550 goes for but I paid $170 in store for my 450. Power hobby. One arm more cant cost that much.
Checking their website it looks like they only sell the frame for the f550, though I may have to just settle for a f450 to begin with and splurge on a better tx or other accessories that I save by getting a cheaper frame. I'll give them a call in the morning and see what they have to say.
Old May 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
DWA
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,768 Posts
I have a 450 and a 550 and I think the 450 is more fun to fly. The 550 can lift more weight though. It is more of a work horse for me. However I have seen videos of guys flying a 550 like a acrobat in manual mode.
I think you would be happy with either.

Dave
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2013, 02:16 PM
Joined Mar 2008
108 Posts
i just tried to balance my 10x38 props (DJI) with durbo balancer…. but there is a problem!
The holes in dji props (10x45 and 8x45 also) are not circular on both sides…. so its not a perfect match in the durbo stick… so how can anyone balance dji props ?
toxotis70 is offline Find More Posts by toxotis70