HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 01, 2013, 08:28 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,205 Posts
DJI 450 Compass Configuration

Just need a little help please... I'm reading this Chinglish manual from DJI on the topic of my compass configuration and it is kind of fuzzy. I'm setting up a F450 with GPS and the X, Y & Z coordinates Where the top plate meets the arms are where most of the pilots are putting their GPS Compass, using the center of the Quad as your Center of Gravity and Assuming using -10 as a constant Z value, Would placing the GPS unit in either of these 4 corners using these coordinates be correct? Top right I figure is (1). X=3, Y=3, Z=-10... (2). Top Left X=-3, Y=3, Z=-10... (3). Bottom Right X=3, Y=-3, Z=-10...(4). Bottom Left X=-3, Y=-3, Z=-10...Any help is appreciated...I'm looking at these as points on a Cartesian Plane with 0,0 as my CG!! Thanks!
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWA View Post
Thanks I just placed an order. I will use this on my 450 and the aeroxcraft on my 550.
I do feel a bit concerned buying from a company called "goodluckbuy". Like I will be lucky if I get it, so we wish you good luck.

Dave
Dave, I felt the same exact way. In so fact, I done a ton...A TON of forum searching to see what their rep was. And I'd say 98% had NO problems at all...and the other 2% was slow shipping. However, their orders were in the middle of the Chinese New Year, in which every bodies order was slow.

I paid with Paypal, via a credit card, just in case problems did come up, I had 2 options to file complaints with. As it turns out, I will order from them again. ORder confirmation within 2 hrs...email with tracking # with 15hrs...follow up email 1 1/2 days later telling me to expect delivery within 24hrs. Heck, I can't get that from an Ebay seller 1 state away! I rec'd my order in less time than it takes for UPS or USPS to deliver 100 miles away...and GoodLuckBuy is on the other side of the freaking planet!

I did weigh mine. However, I did not take the 2 axis gimbal and fpv Tx off. The total weight was 395g.
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old May 01, 2013, 09:42 PM
United States, CA, Escondido
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Hello! I have an F550 with DJI motors and ESC's that is only a few weeks old. I've had a problem with it from the very beginning. I've posted a video that shows the issue in flight. It sounds like a motor or ESC problem but I can't tell which one or how to troubleshoot the issue. I'm a pretty proficient solderer so I'm about 99% sure its not a cold solder joint. I've checked all the bullet connectors to see if any are loose as well. I'm using the Naza with GPS so I don't think its a config issue. The ESC's don't need to be calibrated (according to DJI) so I'm not sure what to try next. It could be a bad motor or ESC but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

DJI F550 + Naza GPS and Motor/ESC problem (0 min 0 sec)
gspence is offline Find More Posts by gspence
RCG Plus Member
Old May 01, 2013, 10:46 PM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Suggestions on props and battery for F450/phantom hybrid.

I don't have an exact weight of my rig...but best I can figure from piecing the individual weights (and going a little on the heavy side), she weighs about 1550g with stock 10" 1038's and a 3S 2250 pulse battery(170g) (photos are on the previous page of her all dressed up ready from Prom). With normal flying (no full throttle, tricks or anything) best I can get is 4:30-ish mins. And when the red light starts blinking...it's "get her down right now or BAD things are going to happen!!!")

Should I go with 2 - 3S 2250mah's or 1 - 3S 5500mah or 4S?

Suggestions on props, too, please!

Main use is video and photos.
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old May 02, 2013, 12:23 AM
Joined Apr 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gspence View Post
Hello! I have an F550 with DJI motors and ESC's that is only a few weeks old. I've had a problem with it from the very beginning. I've posted a video that shows the issue in flight. It sounds like a motor or ESC problem but I can't tell which one or how to troubleshoot the issue. I'm a pretty proficient solderer so I'm about 99% sure its not a cold solder joint. I've checked all the bullet connectors to see if any are loose as well. I'm using the Naza with GPS so I don't think its a config issue. The ESC's don't need to be calibrated (according to DJI) so I'm not sure what to try next. It could be a bad motor or ESC but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this.

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkmnqGotmI
Check these settings mine was surging untill i changed these

F550
Basic Gain
Pitch Roll Yaw Vertical
170 170 150 140
Attitude Gain
Pitch Roll
170 170
peter_sd is offline Find More Posts by peter_sd
Old May 02, 2013, 01:10 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Sheesh, electric motors shouldn't sound like that. Are you using the stock propellers? They're pretty awful, maybe vibrations are messing with the flight controller or something. I've only had to fight a quad once and that was due to vibrations.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old May 02, 2013, 01:36 AM
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sd View Post
Check these settings mine was surging untill i changed these

F550
Basic Gain
Pitch Roll Yaw Vertical
170 170 150 140
Attitude Gain
Pitch Roll
170 170
I'll give those settings a try and see if it makes any difference.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 01:37 AM
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Sheesh, electric motors shouldn't sound like that. Are you using the stock propellers? They're pretty awful, maybe vibrations are messing with the flight controller or something. I've only had to fight a quad once and that was due to vibrations.
Yes, these are the stock DJI 10" props and I'm running a 3S battery as they suggested for that prop size.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 08:27 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
Just need a little help please... I'm reading this Chinglish manual from DJI on the topic of my compass configuration and it is kind of fuzzy. I'm setting up a F450 with GPS and the X, Y & Z coordinates Where the top plate meets the arms are where most of the pilots are putting their GPS Compass, using the center of the Quad as your Center of Gravity and Assuming using -10 as a constant Z value, Would placing the GPS unit in either of these 4 corners using these coordinates be correct? Top right I figure is (1). X=3, Y=3, Z=-10... (2). Top Left X=-3, Y=3, Z=-10... (3). Bottom Right X=3, Y=-3, Z=-10...(4). Bottom Left X=-3, Y=-3, Z=-10...Any help is appreciated...I'm looking at these as points on a Cartesian Plane with 0,0 as my CG!! Thanks!
Yep thats correct, X>0 is front, Y>0 is right side, and Z<0 is above.
But don't be too picky about the exact values, its not that critical, I made tests once with wrong values and it didn't change much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspence View Post

Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkmnqGotmI
Quite unstable for sure, I'd go with WiseDuck and would suspect a bad case of vibration.
If the NAZA firmly dual-taped to the frame ?
Are all props free of defects, visually ?
Is it flying the same without the GPS ?
Or if you doubt a motor or ESC, to troubleshoot on a x6 you can make it fly as a quad, you can unplug the right and left ESCs+motors (or front and rear if its a +6 layout), and it will fly just fine, and thus you can isolate a bad motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTague View Post
Suggestions on props and battery for F450/phantom hybrid.

I don't have an exact weight of my rig...but best I can figure from piecing the individual weights (and going a little on the heavy side), she weighs about 1550g with stock 10" 1038's and a 3S 2250 pulse battery(170g) (photos are on the previous page of her all dressed up ready from Prom). With normal flying (no full throttle, tricks or anything) best I can get is 4:30-ish mins. And when the red light starts blinking...it's "get her down right now or BAD things are going to happen!!!")

Should I go with 2 - 3S 2250mah's or 1 - 3S 5500mah or 4S?
I'd go for 3S-4000mAh, up to 5000mAh, or 4S-3000mAh (the new DJI props 10x3.8 + DJI motor can fly under 4S).
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; May 02, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
Old May 02, 2013, 11:25 AM
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
Quite unstable for sure, I'd go with WiseDuck and would suspect a bad case of vibration.
If the NAZA firmly dual-taped to the frame ?
Are all props free of defects, visually ?
Is it flying the same without the GPS ?
Or if you doubt a motor or ESC, to troubleshoot on a x6 you can make it fly as a quad, you can unplug the right and left ESCs+motors (or front and rear if its a +6 layout), and it will fly just fine, and thus you can isolate a bad motor.
Yes the Naza is mounted securely and the props seem fine. In Attitude mode it did the same thing.

That's a great suggestion to fly it like a quad to try to isolate the motor. I'll have to try that this evening.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 12:30 PM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,628 Posts
By the way, do not forget to set it as a X4 quad, and for gains : 140/140/100/120 - 100/100
The current gains for a x6 are way too high.
And you'll have to reverse 2 motors, on a quad the opposite motors are spinning the same way.
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old May 02, 2013, 01:56 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,769 Posts
I just put my GPS compass on a copper plate. I have seen a couple of guys with DJI s800 doing this. It helps with RF noise.

Mine is very thin actually. It looks thick because it is an end cap for a pipe so you are just seeing the sides not the thickness.
DWA is online now Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; May 31, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old May 02, 2013, 02:31 PM
Spain, Community of Madrid, San Sebastián de los Reyes
Joined Dec 2012
179 Posts
you can also use a copper cage to cover your electronics

http://www.twpinc.com/control/produc...6X016C0110W72T

it will absorb rf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_shielding

also note that in the case of the NAZA where the compass and the gps are toguether do not cover the gps antenna.
lacion is online now Find More Posts by lacion
Old May 02, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivier_C View Post
By the way, do not forget to set it as a X4 quad, and for gains : 140/140/100/120 - 100/100
The current gains for a x6 are way too high.
And you'll have to reverse 2 motors, on a quad the opposite motors are spinning the same way.
Thanks for the reminders! I'll post a video of the tests.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 03, 2013, 04:00 AM
Joined Mar 2013
219 Posts
I just thought of something that might be causing the issue, but I'm not sure.

I remember reading something about disconnecting the read V+ wires from the motor outputs to the ESC's. I can't remember if that was related to my CC3D FC or the Naza, but I know I haven't done that. Apparently the LED module with the Naza acts as a switching BEC so its not necessary to use the BEC's build into the ESCs. But since all this hardware is DJI, I'd assume it would work without any special modifications.
RCG Plus Member