HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:33 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by represent View Post
Honestly, I think RDtague is probably right. As long as you are only adjusting the signal that your TX is sending the Naza (via trim), the Naza isn't going to know that is different from a TX that is already centered, if you get what I'm saying.

I think you can use the trim on your TX to center the controls in the assistant, but you don't want to use them to trim flight? Someone probably knows the answer to this...
Well ..my F450 will not do a thing in GPS or ATTI. when trim is applied..I switch to MM and it duplicates exactly what trim I put in. Really!! I'm not lying. I kept wondering why my rig was doing this?? Then I realized I had subtrims induced,
ZACATTACK is offline Find More Posts by ZACATTACK
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:37 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jun 2011
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTague View Post
Has anyone tried 12 x 4.5 full carbon fiber props on a standard wheelbase F450? They'll clear...not by much...but they'll clear. I'm thinking of trying 12's, but not sure on the pitch. 4.5 or 6.0...although I think 6.0 is too steep.

eCalc shows OK with 3S but over motor limit on 4S. However, I'm using the 2216-11 900KV T-motor in eCalc, rather than my SunnySky 2216-11 880KV motors...I believe they're close enough in specs, though!

Any thoughts?
I would think you would want a 3.8 pitch on a 12" prop for that frame.
valk_17 is offline Find More Posts by valk_17
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:39 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valk_17 View Post
I thought 11" was MAX. on the 450 frame?? The stock motors will fry turning 12" props
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:46 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Jun 2011
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZACATTACK View Post
I thought 11" was MAX. on the 450 frame?? The stock motors will fry turning 12" props
I've never used DJI motors, just have the 450 frame. He's not using stock motors either. I just can't imagine adding 2 inches to my 1045 props and keeping the same pitch. Assuming the motors handled it, it just seems like way too much prop unless you've got the heaviest F450 in existence. Hover would be at like 10% throttle otherwise.
valk_17 is offline Find More Posts by valk_17
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:52 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,344 Posts
Quote:
I've never used DJI motors, just have the 450 frame. He's not using stock motors either. I just can't imagine adding 2 inches to my 1045 props and keeping the same pitch. Assuming the motors handled it, it just seems like way too much prop unless you've got the heaviest F450 in existence. Hover would be at like 10% throttle otherwise.
I just measured it and 12" props will fit with a 20mm gap left..They will fit but....not me. Im trying to order longer aluminum arms from RMRC but there's been no stock since they introduced this product. I will end up running 1238's most likely but need more room and less flex with the motors I'm applying.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:57 PM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Zac, I'm not using stock motors. SunnySky 2216-11 880KV II motors.

Valk...I think your right. 3.8's sound better. Before I asked, I went to where I normally get my props and all he had was 4.5 or 6.0's. After you suggested 3.8's, I checked horizon and they have 3.8 APC slow-fly's. I think I'll try them.

I'm just bored, is all. I'm going in Friday for shoulder surgery and I'm trying to get a few things to keep me occupied. Doc says I won't be able to lift a camera (my "real" job), so I don't have any shoots scheduled for a month. Trying new things. $20 here or there is not gonna break the bank. My tele temp will keep me in check with the motor temps. And I'll at least know if they work better, worse or the same than stock 1038's or Gemfan full CF 947's. Too much time on my hands!
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old Sep 09, 2013, 10:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
I just measured it and 12" props will fit with a 20mm gap left..They will fit but....not me. Im trying to order longer aluminum arms from RMRC but there's been no stock since they introduced this product. I will end up running 1238's most likely but need more room and less flex with the motors I'm applying.
I thought about those arms...until I seen the $.
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:03 PM
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
Center to Center on a f450 frame is just over 12.5". So, you can indeed fit a 12" prop. I'm going to be using either a 11x4.7 or a 3-blade 10x6. They are almost identical in lift according to eCalc etc. Im using SunnySky 2216-900Kv

Quote:
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:05 PM
Team WarpSquad
Côte d'Ivoire
Joined Jun 2012
1,332 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone tried 12 x 4.5 full carbon fiber props on a standard wheelbase F450? They'll clear...not by much...but they'll clear. I'm thinking of trying 12's, but not sure on the pitch. 4.5 or 6.0...although I think 6.0 is too steep.
Please do report back on how this goes, RDTague, regardless of what pitch you end up with on those 12" props!

On the F330 I am building now, I plan to test 9047 (SF style) and 9050 (Graupner style) full-carbon props, in addition to the standard 8045 props. If I move up to the F450 at any point in the future, I would expect to go in the same direction and try to spin the largest possible props, i.e. 11" or 12".

Quote:
My intuition matches valk_17's recommendation of reducing pitch to 3.8 when moving up from 10"x4.5 to a 12" prop. Unless, of course, the 1045 prop was too small and low-pitched for your motor/LiPo combination, and your system is screaming for that 4.5 or 6.0 pitch.

Quote:
Now there's a thought! I imagine that hovering at 10% with 1260 props might translate into excellent autonomy. Definitely curious to hear how the 12" props go!
Brainstorm is offline Find More Posts by Brainstorm
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:08 PM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined May 2011
4,344 Posts
Quote:
I thought about those arms...until I seen the $.
I know!! 125$$ for 4 arm??? But if your going to do an X8 or LRS-FPV...these arms aren't that bad really RDT?? I have been looking at frames like ( Sky Hero) & ( Carbon Core) lately...after I seen the prices of those frames ..these arms aren't that bad. I love that Sky Hero Spyder!!
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
I just measured it and 12" props will fit with a 20mm gap left..I just measured my 550 with 10" props and there is only 22mm between them. Same exact arms...1/2 again the AUW.They will fit but....not me. Im trying to order longer aluminum arms from RMRC but there's been no stock since they introduced this product. I will end up running 1238's most likely but need more room and less flex with the motors I'm applying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthCopter View Post
Please do report back on how this goes, RDTague, regardless of what pitch you end up with on those 12" props!

Definitely curious to hear how the 12" props go!
I will. I just ordered 6 (2 spares) from Horizon. There only about 60 miles from me. They should be here by Wednesday or Thursday!?!?
See red above
Old Sep 09, 2013, 11:39 PM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Spektrum/JR (my brand) has taken a good many hits about loss of communication from the Futaba crowd...
And there really have been fewer reports with Futaba.
+1 TJ

@ flboy286... this is also the reason I asked about if you were on Futaba.

I used to be on Futaba when I flew 72mHz but now I am on Spektrum.
I think Futaba and Spektrum are good brands.
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Sep 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:37 AM
Doing stuff since 1902.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,719 Posts
A 12" with a 2216-kind of motor may work (even under 4S) if the AUW is low, but the motors will run ridiculously low in their efficiency curve... my F450 naked is hovering at like 30% throttle with 2216 and 10x5, I cannot even imagine with 12"... worth a try for giggles

Also such big props will push against the frame, and it may do more harm than good.
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:49 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,614 Posts
I keep reading about the Phantom having "Flyaway issues" does anyone know if the F450 suffers the same problems ????
Witterings is offline Find More Posts by Witterings
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 10, 2013, 01:16 AM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined Mar 2012
900 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
I keep reading about the Phantom having "Flyaway issues" does anyone know if the F450 suffers the same problems ????
Neither does.
Wangta is online now Find More Posts by Wangta