HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2013, 12:07 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
10,576 Posts
Discussion
DJI Flame Wheel F450 and F550 *******OWNERS******* Thread.

When I was building my F550 and F450 I noticed there was no central thread to read through and find info exclusively on these frames.

So this thread is to discuss the Flame Wheel F450 quad-copter and Flame Wheel F550 hexa-copter.

I put the 2 in one thread because they are very similar (same arms, same esc’s, same motors, and same Naza controller) and some of the accessories like landing gear, gimbals, and GoPro mounts can be used with either.

Here is a video to help you build and set up your DJI F450. I made it as short and to the point (( yet detailed for the beginner)) as I could. It is a little long but it is also like 2 videos in one because I show a full build and then I show how to set up in Naza Assistant. The first 20 minutes is on the build the last 10 is on Naza Assistant software setup. Only about 1 minute is unstable all the rest is from a tripod.
It is for the F450 but the F550 is done the same way.

DJI F 450 with E300 Tuned Propulsion System STEP BY STEP COMPLETE BUILD. (33 min 3 sec)

Here is a link to Freechips thread for Spektrum radios and his SPM files for Spektrum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1789552

Here is a link to my build thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1874915

Here's a link to the Naza-M V1 thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1536553

Here is a link to the Naza-M V2 thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1884389

Here is a link to several good videos for programing Futaba radios.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...81544&page=908

After you build your multi-rotor and download the Nasa Assistant this is the order to follow.

1 Remove props or secure them in some way!!! With the new E300 props this is easy with the old motors and props I use wooden dowels because I do not want to keep taking off my props every time I do an update or connect the hexa to check something in assistant.

2 Open up Naza Assistant on your computer. click Skip ((You only need to click skip in you are following this order. If you already plugged in the battery in your multi-rotor and connected you USB then you do not have to click skip.))

3 Plug in your USB to computer then to your LED module on your multi-rotor

4 Then turn on your Transmitter

5 Then plug in your battery on your multi-rotor

6 You should see a steady green light on your LED module and a green light and a blinking blue light at bottom left of Naza Assistant window.

Now you can do your TX calibration and set up your GPS xyz, mixer type, receiver type, gains, motor idle speed, cut off type, failsafe, IOC, and voltage 1st and 2nd level.

After you update do a basic and advance calibration even if after you hit [Check IMU Status] and it says you do not need to still do it.
Then go outside and do compass calibration.

Side note:
For Spektrum radio binding with DJI Naza. I use Spektrum so that is why I go into more detail on Spektrum. I am thinking about getting a Futaba also. It seems to work well with Naza.

Spektrum.
To set Preset Failsafe on the receiver. Power on the receiver with bind plug inserted, once the receiver is blinking removed the bind plug. Place your programmed Failsafe switch (Mix/Hold) switch to Pos.1 (in other words PUT FAILSAFE SWITCH IN FAILSAFE POSITION) and Power on the radio in bind mode. Wait until the lights on receivers stop flashing and wait till your transmitter finishes binding.

This will set PRESET failsafe, recommended receiver failsafe type for use with Naza Controller.

In order to get this to work you require a receiver with PRESET Failsafe, not all receivers have this.

To bind with Telemetry unit TM 1000.

The telemetry module is plugged into data/bind spot on the receiver, so to bind the receiver in failsafe mode use a Y harness, connected to the receiver Bind/Date port. One end of the Y harness connect the TM1000 Data Cable, the other end the Bind Plug. Follow the same steps mentioned above.

Test to make sure that the Naza Assistant software shows the Flight Mode going to Failsafe position.

After programing transmitter, then binding receiver to transmitter turn on transmitter then turn on (quad or hexa) then open up Naza assistant on your computer. Then plug in the mini usb to your computer usb. Now go through all your settings with Naza assistant and test all switches and functions. One thing you will most likely find is that when you try your FMode switch for your flight control of Manual, Attitude, GPS the boxes will not light up blue when flipping in between flight modes. They should! I show this in the video. To fix this go to Servo Setup and sub-trim your gear channel with the FMode switch in the middle on the Atti box in the Nasa assistant. If this one is set then the other 2 (manual,gps) will usually be set also. If they are not use the regular trim to fix them. Now all 3 should light blue when you flip your FMode switch.
Make sure you setup your Failsafe and IOC in the Naza assistant also. And put a watt meter in-between your battery and your (quad or hexa) and then calibrate your Naza battery voltage to match your watt meter reading. Then set your low battery setting as you want, so you protect your lipos from over discharge.

After you have set up your new radio settings do not forget to set up your altimeter if you have one.
To do this turn on your transmitter while holding down the scroll wheel. then go to Telemetry, then scroll down to an empty spot. I used #4. Then select Alt. Then set the hight you want your alarm to sound. and if you want Tone Vibrate or both. Then just hit Back 2 times and you are done. If you want to change something in Telemetry you need to select it (i.e.: Volts) then hit the scroll wheel 2 times then you get into it’s settings.

People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care.
Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DWA; Mar 23, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
flippmode is offline Find More Posts by flippmode
Old Apr 28, 2013, 02:42 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
890 Posts
dji is awful
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:16 AM
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Lysekil
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
New

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad007 View Post
dji is awful

Hello. I am a 55-year old man who recently returned to rc model flying. Thought the quadcopter seemed fun and started with this hobby.
First a Blade indoors, then a Gaui 330 and now a Dji F450. Tests also Fpv. The flight is pretty good but I have a little problem. The Quad seems a bit unstable and I can not find the problem. I have a Futaba R2008SB receivers and Futaba T8J transmitter. The Quad nods to periodically when flying. Here is a link to a little piece of film.
orolig quad (2 min 14 sec)

Forgive my bad English, but I'm old, Swedish and takes the help of Goggle translation
The Quadder is offline Find More Posts by The Quadder
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:16 AM
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Feb 2013
1,767 Posts
Well my contribution would be that I delivered the wedding ring with a F550

Alamo Square- Wedding Proposal (4 min 5 sec)

A few weeks back I reconfigured my F550 to a Y6-550
CG Photo is offline Find More Posts by CG Photo
Old Apr 28, 2013, 04:22 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quadder View Post
Hello. I am a 55-year old man who recently returned to rc model flying. Thought the quadcopter seemed fun and started with this hobby.
First a Blade indoors, then a Gaui 330 and now a Dji F450. Tests also Fpv. The flight is pretty good but I have a little problem. The Quad seems a bit unstable and I can not find the problem. I have a Futaba R2008SB receivers and Futaba T8J transmitter. The Quad nods to periodically when flying. Here is a link to a little piece of film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIUIlywWmY
Forgive my bad English, but I'm old, Swedish and takes the help of Goggle translation
Köpte du ett F450 kit med DJI motorer, ESCs och Naza? Kontrollera alla 3.5mm kontakter på motorsidan, de kommer ibland med taskigt lödda kontakter vilket gör att motorerna ibland stannar till periodvis och antingen orsakar plötslig krasch eller ryckningar.

Also, all the people that just spam in here, if you have nothing to contribute you should just get out. We're just here to fly and have fun. Or do we not have a common interest?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:45 AM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
Jag har kontrollerat så gott det går. Kan inte hitta några glappkontakter. Det är ju lite svårt utan att skrapa bort all krympslang.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:47 AM
DOLLA DOLLA BILL YALL
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Oct 2012
890 Posts
Quote:
First a Blade indoors, then a Gaui 330 and now a Dji F450. Tests also Fpv. The flight is pretty good but I have a little problem. The Quad seems a bit unstable and I can not find the problem. I have a Futaba R2008SB receivers and Futaba T8J transmitter. The Quad nods to periodically when flying. Here is a link to a little piece of film. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grIUIlywWmY
Tell me more about your DJI NAZA (4 min 35 sec)
quad007 is offline Find More Posts by quad007
Old Apr 28, 2013, 06:00 AM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
It is with Dji motors, esc, nasa with GPS.Quanum battery telemetry. Fatshark 250mW transmitter 5.8 ghz and a small Sony camera for fpv. There is also a GPS tracker. Everything weighs 1300 grams with battery
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:08 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Are you quite finished?

Seriously, are you and TC the same person or something? Is it even possible to talk about any DJI product without rampant fanboyism rearing its ugly head on this forum? This is Apple -vs- Android all over again, except that the Android fans are the loud, obnoxious ones now. Just like the "other side" on this forum. Sadly, people always teeter on the line of what's OK and what isn't, so mods never do anything to clean up topics.

Until the post below me, Naza wasn't even mentioned.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:12 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Quote:
Jag har kontrollerat så gott det går. Kan inte hitta några glappkontakter. Det är ju lite svårt utan att skrapa bort all krympslang.
Du måste ta bort krympslangen, det finns en del skräckexempel på forumet där man ser klart och tydligt hur kass lödningen är. Jag har kraschat två gånger p.g.a. att den tappat kontakt med en pol och motorn lagt av helt. Ta bort krympslangen, inspektera lödningen, ryck på kabeln ganska så hårt för att vara säker på att det är OK. Lödningen ska helst vara solid, gärna med en slät skinande yta. Krympslang går att sätta på igen om du har extra, annars funkar eltejp för stunden.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:47 AM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Du måste ta bort krympslangen, det finns en del skräckexempel på forumet där man ser klart och tydligt hur kass lödningen är. Jag har kraschat två gånger p.g.a. att den tappat kontakt med en pol och motorn lagt av helt. Ta bort krympslangen, inspektera lödningen, ryck på kabeln ganska så hårt för att vara säker på att det är OK. Lödningen ska helst vara solid, gärna med en slät skinande yta. Krympslang går att sätta på igen om du har extra, annars funkar eltejp för stunden.
Nu är alla lödningar kontrollerade. Skar bort all krympslang, alla lödningar blanka och släta. Ryckte ganska hårt men inga problem. Krympte på ny slang.
Kollade även alla övriga lödningar och kontakter men inget oroväckande.
Lite för mycket blåst idag annars hade en provtur för kontroll varit nästa steg.
Funderar på att binda fast quaden i nåt eller hålla den ovanför huvudet och köra på halvfart för att ev. kunna lura ut vad som händer.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:58 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Antar att Naza sitter fast med den inkluderade tejpen. Du har då gjort rätt på alla andra punkter. Skruvar som biter fast i propellrarna, Graupners som i regel är välbalanserade etc. Antar att du kör på 3S?
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:50 AM
Joined Apr 2013
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
Antar att Naza sitter fast med den inkluderade tejpen. Du har då gjort rätt på alla andra punkter. Skruvar som biter fast i propellrarna, Graupners som i regel är välbalanserade etc. Antar att du kör på 3S?
Så rätt så, 3s för närvarande 4000mah. Taggbrickor med nylockmutter och Graupner efter alla skrämselinlägg om Dji:s dåliga propellrar.
Jag har egentligen inget att klaga på förutom den sporadiska ryckigheten.
Har testat både attitude och gps läge, ingen skillnad. Flyger ännu inte mer än ett batteri men får kanske prova med flera i följd och se om det blir någon skillnad ifall grejorna blir lite varmare. Har i alla fall rätt kul än så länge. Det har hänt mycket sedan mitt tidigare modellengagemang på tidigt -70 tal
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:25 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
Jo, det har hänt en hel del. Speciellt på de senaste 2 åren faktiskt. Hursomhelst, kan ju vara för att du har för hög gain helt enkelt, prova att sänka ATTI gain samt pitch, roll och yaw något. Den verkar sitta och ändra motorhastighet lite hela tiden, vilket betyder att gains är något för höga. Vet inte varför den rycker till lite då och då, däremot... Jag tror min F550 gjorde så en gång då en propeller började att lossna, men sedan jag bytte till taggbrickor har jag aldrig sett det problemet igen.