HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:33 AM
Budapest
Joined Jul 2003
2,569 Posts
I disassembled a Nokia vibramotor (5mm diameter, 0.8g).
The good: seems that the bearings (bushings) are located in the magnet, so easy to convert it to outrunner.
The bad: it has a 5 segments collector
My plan to use such a motor as a 3 phase stepper, so 5 segments obviously unusable (using 5 phases to control it is a waste of components, 2 more controller pins, 4 more fets...)
All of the similar motors have 5 segments, or are there 3 segments types too?
mmormota is offline Find More Posts by mmormota
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:00 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Mmormota,
I'll check the ones I have taken apart, which is only a few out of all the many diffferent pagers I have. But I think you are correct.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jan 14, 2004, 07:56 AM
It's a spiderweb of knit lines
Souderton Pa. USA
Joined Mar 2002
2,638 Posts
mmormota,
There are 3 pole windings in most of the cheaper 6mm pagers. The radio shack variety is 5 pole but most of the bit clone motors I've taken apart are 3 pole.
You could definatly use these as a stepper motor but you may need to change the winding.
Mike
mcross is offline Find More Posts by mcross
Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:34 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,428 Posts
Thanks Mike. You've obviously taken apart more of them than I have.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Jul 03, 2006, 04:05 PM
Elmwood Park,NJ, United States
Joined Nov 2004
970 Posts
Hey Guys, a few days ago, I made my first attempt of taking the casing off of a 4mm motor, and making another, lighter one for it. This step turned out okay. I made a nice mount out of 1/64" aircraft plywood, and shaved off .2 grams from the entire motor. The ONLY problem that I had was putting the communicator back in between the brushes without destroying them. The brushes are so close together, that i really cant squeeze the communicator in without spacing the brushes too far apart, or crushing them. this is a strange question, but what do you guys do to get the communicator back in between the brushes without destroying them?
jonathan8388 is offline Find More Posts by jonathan8388
Old Jul 03, 2006, 05:27 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,923 Posts
<Off topic:>
Hey, Tim!
Have you started posting again on MicroRCcenter again? I'd like to see an improved hovercraft!
</off topic.>

Sweet mod. If only I actually knew how to fly a plane to put it in.
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead