Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:47 PM
Just Keep Swimming ju....
Phoenix Arizona! Wanna fly? All year round is guoooud.
Joined Oct 2003
258 Posts
Multiplex Cockpit MM... need your advise and help

Hey

Well about a year ago i got into rc planes and wanted the cheepest stuff i could get away with. But now after getting much better and flying more than one plane i need a better radio. I have an oportunity to buy a used Multiplex Cockpit MM and want to nkow some info on it.

First it was baught in 2000 and was used by someone who seems to take care of there equipment so i just want to know if it will last much longer and still be safe.

Second. Can i send it somewere to have it servised in the US and have them fix it if something broke.

third. how often should it be sent in for servising?

And fourth. is the multiplex compatable with my gws recievers (hitec)

Thanks for all your help!

ALex
tripxrcer is offline Find More Posts by tripxrcer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:13 PM
iva
Vancouver Harbour Sp, Canada
Joined Jan 2001
539 Posts
The only weak spot of the Cockpit I could think of is the original 600mAh battery which is easy to replace. If it has been purchased in year 2000 it could be software version 1. I do not know the difference compared to software version two. Currently, Multiplex is distributed and serviced by Hitec. In its original version it is not compatible with negative shift receivers (Futaba, Hitec..) however Hitec (or someone else, I don't remember who was doing that originally) may be able to add a negative shift option. Try speaking to the Hitec directly.
I am more than happy with mine.

Zoran
iva is offline Find More Posts by iva
Old Jan 12, 2004, 01:55 AM
GO!!!
Eastern edge of the pond
Joined Mar 2003
283 Posts
I have had a Cockpit radio for two years now and I am very pleased with it. I like the ease of programming, the preset mixes which abound and its light weight and general feel. It has nine memories which should see you right for a good while for nothing is more frustrating imho than running out of memories.
Compatibility? I have used it with Hitec Futaba and Webra rxs.
Backup? The Multiplex website gives product data and the phone number of the service organisation.
http://www.multiplexusa.com/default.htm

Go on, spoil yourself and buy it!
Garvey is offline Find More Posts by Garvey
Old Jan 12, 2004, 01:57 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
I have two of them - one purchased used here on the Ezone a few weeks ago (and a Royal EVO 9 ).

I expect them to work well for many, many years.

Currently service is being transfered to HiTec in California (they checked out the used one and updated it to current software V2.2 - for free!).

Ernie Pritchard, who did Multiplex service before HiTec bought them out used to do a shift select modification for $40, putting a switch inside the transmitter. I don't know if he is still doing this or not. But it would be necessary for a Cockpit to work with your negative shift (Futaba/HiTec) receivers.

I suppose the thing to do is email service@hitecrcd.com and ask them.....

I love how the Cockpit feels in the hand and the uncluttered look and arrangement - so much nicer than an oriental transmitter in that regard.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Jan 12, 2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 02:09 AM
Turbines suck ;-)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2000
1,636 Posts
It is a really excellent set. If you send it in for a service get the version 2 software upgrade - it only cost $20 or $30 but adds some nice features (eg timer starts/stops when you open/close the throttle which, is very useful on electrics).
rorywquin is offline Find More Posts by rorywquin
Old Jan 12, 2004, 11:56 AM
Flt 76..N.bound..feet dry
Baltic CT, USA
Joined Dec 2000
263 Posts
Multiplex service

Ernie Pritchard is still doing the service for Multiplex/Hitec

He can be reached at erpritchard@cybertrails.com
AllenS is offline Find More Posts by AllenS
Old Jan 12, 2004, 12:17 PM
Vancouver Intl, Canada
Joined Dec 1996
294 Posts
I've had a Multiplex Cockpit since 2000(!). Love it. Immediately sold every other trasnmitter I owned. I dealt with servicing (Ernie fellow) when I left it on the roof of my car and drove away only to see it fly off as I took a corner outta the parking lot. $40 replaced me some seriously broken gimbals.
Aviron is offline Find More Posts by Aviron