HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Flyzone Micro Tiger Moth Tx-R

Here is a Micro with a full scale look that is a lot of fun to fly!

Splash

Introduction

Flyzone has introduced a RTF Micro plane that is a nice rendition of one of the most popular full scale trainers in Europe before WWII and proved to be worth the time and effort needed to train RAF pilots. The de Havilland DH 82 Tiger Moth is a 1930s biplane designed by Geoffrey de Havilland and was operated by the Royal Air Force (RAF) and others as a primary trainer After the war these were sold as surplus and many are still flying today.

So if you are inclined to slip back into time and fly a plane designed 70+ years ago, here is your chance! VERY inexpensive and fun to fly. The Tx-R combination only requires a compatible transmitter and you are ready to take to the skies.

Product:Flyzone Micro Tiger Moth Tx-R
Retail Price:$79.98
Wing span:15.1 in
Length:12.9" (327mm)
Weight:1.1 oz (33 g)
Motor:7mm brushed
ESC:Integrated with receiver
Servos:Two supplied and mounted
Transmitter:Not supplied but requires 3-ch Tx w/SLT or AnyLink & compatible 3-ch transmitter
Receiver:Supplied
Battery:3.7V 140mAh LiPo
Flight time:10+ minutes on full charge
Manufacturer:http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/
Available From:http://towerhobbies.com/

Kit Contents

The complete kit contents, including battery charger and battery.

Assembly

Once you open the box you are about 90% ready to fly this Micro. All you have to do after taking the plane out of its foam cradle is to charge the supplied LiPo battery in the supplied charger with the supplied dry cell batteries! Canít get much simpler than that can it?

The shipping box was used for transporting the plane to and from the field and this has worked out well for me. In fact I noticed more and more modelers are using the box in this way. At any given day there may be two, three or more Micro planes at the flying field, all transported and stored in their boxes.

Wing

The thin 15" wings have an airfoil molded into them and produce significant lift but are not removable from each other or from the fuselage.

Fuselage

The fuselage houses two servos, receiver, and everything else that makes this bird fly. It is pretty strong, light and colorful. But it is thin enough to see the bind light through the fuselage side.

Tail

The tail feathers are part of the fuselage and are quite sturdy. I found the rudder could have more throw, but with all things considered, is effective.

Radio Installation

Both servos and ESC/Receiver are already positioned for CG purposes and work effectively. Add the battery and your CG is right on! In case you need to adjust either the elevator or rudder pushrod, Flyzone has an 'adjustment' method that is effective. All you have to do is to either extend or reduce the length of the pushrod that is found on the outside of the plane. An explanation to do this can be found in the instruction manual. I found by using the trim on the transmitter very effective in adjusting the elevator so level flight could be obtained at half throttle.

Completion

Flying

Basics

This plane, like most Micro aircraft this size, does not like wind and at 1.1 oz you can imagine why. None the less this bird does like to fly and other than the motor sound, is stable in the air, on final approach and even landings. Touch and goes are very easily done, loops seem to favor more of a corkscrew pattern and the rudder is your only directional control. No damage was done when a couple of times the Tiger Moth flipped over on landing (while flying when it was too windy). I guess that 1.1 oz does have some advantages. ONE major suggestion: Keep the Anylink plugged into the transmitter!!! More on that later.

Taking Off and Landing

A gentle advancement of the throttle will produce a nice slow and very scale take off! Once the Tiger Moth is moving forward a gentle bump of the elevator may be needed to rise off the ground, OR, you can keep adding throttle and the plane will take off by itself. I tried rapidly advancing to full throttle and the plane quickly rose off the ground in a very steep climb.

Landings have been fun because the Tiger Moth really can teach you HOW to land using the proper controls and technique. And just what is that you may ask? When attempting to land your rate of decent is controlled by the throttle NOT the elevator. You may add a bit a elevator to 'flair' just before touchdown, but I have found the Tiger Moth responds so well to the throttle, you can accomplish a two-wheeled landing by adding just a bit MORE throttle just before touching down. What really happens is your rate of decent is reduced almost to zero by the added airspeed. And yes, touch and goes are very possible and are fun to do because the time needed from landing to takeoff can be quite short as you keep the plane close to you, or at least I do (the old eyes aren't what they used to be).

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

By only using the elevator and rudder many aerobatic maneuvers cannot be accomplished but they sure are fun to try. At first loops were not accomplished because the plane would always roll out of the loop at the top and fall away to the right side. Perhaps it was too much speed as I would put the plane into a dive to build up airspeed. So the dive was shallower and going over the top, left rudder was added and pretty soon you could recognize the maneuver as a loop:). I never could get the plane to do a roll (add a lot of rudder as you approach the top of the loop), but a couple of times a gust of wind would bump the plane just right and it almost looked like a roll.

I had some trouble at first with the Anylink: at one time it worked, another second it wouldn't. I was about ready to ship the whole think back when by accident I noticed the Anylink plug wasn't fully seated in the unit on the back of the transmitter. I guess when handling the transmitter the cable worked its way lose, so I gently pushed it back into the Anylink module (the connection into the transmitter was solid). After that I never had any trouble loosing connection UNTIL one day I passed the transmitter over to George (an accomplished F-16 pilot -full scale- as well as a Master R/C pilot).

The Tiger Moth was doing O.K. in George's capable hands when the wind started gusting to 3-4 MPH and the plane decided to start flying downwind....and continued to fly downwind....and George was complaining how the plane wasn't responding! We all watched as the Tiger Moth got smaller and smaller as it was nearly 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile downwind when I noticed the Anylink plug was dangling along the side of the transmitter! I quickly pushed the plug in and the Tiger Moth responded immediately but was so low and so far away all we saw was a turn and it disappeared behind a wall:(.

To make a long story short, we found the plane about 10 minutes later - undamaged and sitting so pretty in a dirt field. And what caused our lack of communication with the Anylink - the plug on the transmitter wasn't pushed in ALL THE WAY.

Moral of the story is simple: the cable that plugs into the Anylink unit may appear pushed in, but when pushed in harder, it makes a solid connection and will STAY connected. All my problems with the Anylink was when the connector was partially pushed in and would lose connection as I was handling the transmitter! That my friends is a Rookie Mistake, so now I have added one more item on my "Pre-flight" checklist - visually and physically verify the Anylink connectors are secure!

Is This For a Beginner?

Could a rank beginner use this as their 'Trainer'? They could, but I wouldn't advise it because like all Micro planes this one can get out of control by over-controlling very easily. Once trimmed (remember I had to adjust the elevator to keep from diving on the first flight) the plane flies great but would a rank novice know to do this?

Flight Video/Photo Gallery

Flight video can be seen at:

Tiger Moth Ytube (1 min 21 sec)

The Tiger Moth can do a lot of touch and goes with ease.

!Conclusion I really do like this bird and for the price, it is a good deal. Of course it will immediately inform you if there is any gusts of wind as it flies best when calm. Hand launching is a viable option if a hard surface isn't available and shooting touch and goes off a hard surface is fun. With one charge your flight time can exceed 12 minutes if you fly at 1/2 throttle. All in all, good call Flyzone!

Last edited by tailskid2; Jun 15, 2013 at 11:40 PM..

Discussion

Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:03 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,238 Posts
Good review!

I have one of these Moths, which I've flown indoors. Of the four micro Flyzone airplanes I've flown, I like the Tiger Moth best. With the supplied transmitter it's a smooth, well-behaved flyer.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Last edited by JRuggiero; Jun 25, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:07 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,238 Posts
Double post. Sorry
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Last edited by JRuggiero; Jun 25, 2013 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old Jun 29, 2013, 11:15 AM
Lost in space
Jupiter FL.
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Can I use parkzone or turnigy 1s 130 and 160 mha batterys in this plane ? Or are the connectors different .
jupiter1 is offline Find More Posts by jupiter1
Old Jun 29, 2013, 02:48 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,434 Posts
Battery

I'm not familiar with the battery you mentioned, but here is a shot of the battery that was supplied with the plane.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:08 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter1 View Post
Can I use parkzone or turnigy 1s 130 and 160 mha batterys in this plane ? Or are the connectors different .
Those batteries will plug right in. Connectors are the same.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jun 30, 2013, 09:37 AM
Lost in space
Jupiter FL.
Joined Sep 2006
374 Posts
Thank you UNGN.
jupiter1 is offline Find More Posts by jupiter1
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:38 PM
Edgewood, KY (Cincinnati)
Joined Jan 2004
192 Posts
I see this pretty bird is available. Anyone have one yet? Flight reports?
Bruno Stachel is online now Find More Posts by Bruno Stachel
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:50 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,434 Posts
It will fly is slight winds as well as indoor.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member