HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:37 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Build Log
Flyzone Calypso by rip

My 5 y/o son wanted to fly. I cannot let him fly my Kadet. So I had to get "him" this Calypso.
Kadet out of commission,Spirit Glider still in the bench, Civil Air Patrol activity in our club requiring training aircraft.

ALES Glider 1

My Other Planes
ripacheco is online now Find More Posts by ripacheco
Last edited by ripacheco; Jun 24, 2013 at 12:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
No Flaps

Because I forgot to order the $3.00 flap linkage kit and lack of a small-enough servos, I will assemble this glider without the optional flaps.
I'll program the radio with flap/ailerons . Hopefully that will be enough to slow it down for easy landings until I get the parts to put real ailerons.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:37 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Broke down and got a "generic" LIPO :

https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...9&pid=F3293878

It will be part of the 3-battery rotation set that I will use on the Calypso right next to the ThunderPower batteries.

In a few months we will know exactly how it holds up as I log every cycle on my LIPOs
Old Apr 26, 2013, 12:36 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Had to put the ESC/Battery/Receiver all the way to the front to balance the model on the "recomended' CG Spot.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 05:40 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Maiden flight and more

Maidened my calypso
Awesome.
Warning: NOT A BEGINNER plane.
The recommended throws are too much for a beginner.
Needed significant trim up with the motor off.
13 min flights using 50% of battery without even trying hard.
Hard to handle on 12+ MPH wind
Lots of fun for INTERMEDIATE pilot.
I'm glad I got this.
Spent weekend training beginners none could handle plane without a lot of help.
On the other hand the ones on the Bixler had less issues.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:49 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
I think i'm going to forgo installing ailerons on this bird. The flaperons work very well.
One thing about flaperons is that you get less and less flap authority the more ailerons you deploy. I use the rudder to steer near the ground.
Old May 05, 2013, 04:45 PM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
Love my Calypso. Tracks well under power with full throws as a fun warmliner but needs a bit of up elevator when gliding. Found my first thermal with it last week and am having a lot of fun with it.
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Old May 05, 2013, 04:55 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlee1 View Post
Love my Calypso. Tracks well under power with full throws as a fun warmliner but needs a bit of up elevator when gliding. Found my first thermal with it last week and am having a lot of fun with it.
Yes it does need a good deal of trim on the glide. There has been some suggestions to change the incidences of the horiz stab to correct this.
Old May 06, 2013, 12:42 AM
Greensboro Pa USA
Joined Apr 2008
432 Posts
The guys from the big brown truck that delivers toys to good girls and boys is supposed to bring my calypso today. What exactly do you mean by shimming the tail and how? And i am not a builder so dummy it down for me.

Thanks
Hemicuda
HEMICUDA is offline Find More Posts by HEMICUDA
Old May 06, 2013, 02:18 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMICUDA View Post
The guys from the big brown truck that delivers toys to good girls and boys is supposed to bring my calypso today. What exactly do you mean by shimming the tail and how? And i am not a builder so dummy it down for me.
Thanks
Hemicuda
When you cut the power, some Calypsos will need a lot of trim up to keep a gentle glide angle. Otherwise it will have an excessive nose down attitude.
You can certainly correct this with trim it will not crash the airplane.
You can afterwards turn the elevator clevis so that the elevator is slightly up while your trim is back to neutral. That is the easy solution.

Some people would argue that having the elevator trimmed up like that is "bad".
So it's been suggested that when you install the elevator you put something (little ice of cardboard) on the BACK part of elevator fitting ( where it meets the fuselage). The idea is to have the BACK of the elevator to be 1/8 " higher than the back. This will accomplish the same as having the trim up.

WARNING: there is a version 2 of the calypso fuselage that is supposed to fix this issue.
My suggestion is to first fly the plane and make sure it needs this fix.

Also when you put the tail together, make sure that long screw is tight. Make sure that the tail fits correctly with the horizontal stab.

Here there are pictures of the V2. U need to accomplish the same:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=711

I rather just trim it up and then neutralize the trim by turning the clevis a few turns.

This is the full thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1678070
Last edited by ripacheco; May 06, 2013 at 02:29 AM.
Old May 07, 2013, 05:45 AM
United States, GA, Woodstock
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
I don't disagree with your suggestion but would consider setting it up according to the manual first before trying any elevator compensation.

The reason I suggest this is that while the plane (mine at least) requires a fair amount of up elevator for gliding, it tracks straight as an arrow when under throttle. I think perhaps this might be part of the design. My plan is to create a throttle to elevator mix in my radio that gives neutral elevator under full throttle and some up elevator with no throttle.

I think either method would work, but I personally haven't seen the need to make the shim adjustment, though I'm sure that it would work well.
justinlee1 is offline Find More Posts by justinlee1
Old May 07, 2013, 06:29 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinlee1 View Post
The reason I suggest this is that while the plane (mine at least) requires a fair amount of up elevator for gliding, it tracks straight as an arrow when under throttle. I think perhaps this might be part of the design. My plan is to create a throttle to elevator mix in my radio that gives neutral elevator under full throttle and some up elevator with no throttle.
Correct. I believe there was a compromise there. If you are going to fly under power constantly. The default setting will work fine.

Now. That said. After trimming the aircraft for a gentle glide. When you apply full power the glider will pitch up a lot. However this sucker will climb at 50-70 degrees! Which is excellent for me! My flying style consists of full power climbs then glide.
Old May 09, 2013, 02:08 AM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
Calypso Version 2

Tower Hobbies is now distributing the V2 version of the Calypso

this fixes the problems with the "dive when gliding"

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=744
Old Jun 24, 2013, 02:39 PM
rip
Joined Jan 2013
1,537 Posts
My Calypso is loosing its Scorpion ESC...
... the stock ESC will have to do the honors

Grrr....