HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Help!
Fatshark Attitude problems...please assist..

hey guys....i had a problem yesterday and i really hope someone can give me some insight as to what may be wrong....i don't have enough equipment to rule anything out except the camera and the cable...let me start at the beginning as it may help determine the problem i suppose...so far i have used this fpv system (the fatshark attitude set) twice with my super cub...both times everything worked very well and i had no problems...yesterday evening i decided to install the system on my quad....i removed the Vtx from the plane and hooked everything up beside my quad before i mounted everything up to confirm that it still worked...on this install i used a different camera and a different harness than i had previously used with my plane...i left those on the plane and only removed the Vtx....when i turned everything on i could only see black through the goggles...after a minute i found if i brightened up the video on the goggles i was actually getting lines of static and snow....what you would expect to see if you didn't have the Vtx turned on.......
here is what i have tried so far...
first i tried to use the other camera that had worked previously on my plane and got the same results....lines and snow...
then i made completely new harness for the camera and got the same results...lines and snow..
then i used the camera on the plane and the harness on the plane and got the same results....lines and snow....
everything worked perfectly fine the weekend before....
at this point i believe the Vtx may be the problem...but i don't have another receiver or transmitter to test so im not sure...
also another thing possibly worth noting...as i scan through the channels on the goggles i notice all of them are showing up with lines and snow except one, and it is just a black screen....
really need some opinions here guys.....what should i do....
pugs2300 is offline Find More Posts by pugs2300
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:04 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
This might sound stupid, but it has happened to me. Did you accidently flip the switch on the bottom of the goggles that switches it from the internal antenna to the external plug? I spent hours doing the same thing you have done and found out I somehow had hit the switch.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:23 AM
Don't leave it Stock
USA, IL, Round Lake
Joined Feb 2004
2,512 Posts
Or cap left on camera, been there done that LOL
mrfliboy is offline Find More Posts by mrfliboy
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
well i thought about that actually....when i switch it the other direction i get a black screen on every channel i try so i think that is the external side....this thing has me pulling my hair out...lol....
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
lol....yea the cap was off of both cameras i tried...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:40 AM
Too many numbers
United States, IL, Lake in the Hills
Joined Oct 2010
1,836 Posts
Is your quad made of carbon fiber?
c131frdave is offline Find More Posts by c131frdave
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:43 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
no but i didn't have the system installed when i mocked it up anyhow...it was laying beside the quad....also i reinstalled it on the plane i had used the weekend before and it didn't work either...starting to think the only reasonable answer is that my Vtx is dead....weird though it worked fine a few days before and then it doesn't work at all....
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:45 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Is your wiring good. Like the connections that go to the vtx. Are they in the correct order? meaning, video goes in pin 1, ground pin 2, etc. Do they have a solid connection?.....Same for cam
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
well as far as the wiring i tried three different cables...the one that worked on my plane last weekend, the one i had made up for my quad and another i made up just to make sure the other two weren't bad....as far as the pin order i looked at the markings on the Vtx to figure that out and the harness i had for my quad used the original pigtail that came with the Vtx so i know it was correct.......any other ideas guys..........thanks for the input so far...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:52 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Post pics of your setup if you can.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
ok i can but it will probably be late tonight or tomorrow evening....
but i can describe it pretty well....as its a very simple setup....
the Vtx is plugged into the balance port on my flight pack (a 3s 2200mah) via the adapter provided with it....
the camera is powered directly from the main leads on the flight pack since it is a 12v cam...
and the camera output is running to the white/yellow wire coming from the video in on the Vtx....i am 99.99 percent sure everything is just as it was when i used the system before and everything worked perfectly......i will however post pictures as soon as i can...

edit: also the Vtx has a red light that comes on when it is powered up....im pretty sure this was on before, when it was working fine, but i am not 100% sure that it was....didn't mention it before because i assume it was just a power on light...
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:09 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs2300 View Post
and the camera output is running to the white/yellow wire coming from the video in on the Vtx....i am 99.99 percent sure everything is just as it was when i used the system before and everything worked perfectly......i will however post pictures as soon as i can...

edit: also the Vtx has a red light that comes on when it is powered up....im pretty sure this was on before, when it was working fine, but i am not 100% sure that it was....didn't mention it before because i assume it was just a power on light...
What about the ground wire....you need that coming from cam to vtx.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:27 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
well.......hmmmm.....as far as i can remember (im not around it) i didn't have a ground going from the cam to the Vtx on the plane i used it on and it worked.........i am 99.99% sure about that....just ran power and ground from my cam to my battery.....plugged in the Vtx to the balance plug on my battery....and ran the signal wire from my cam to my Vtx....now that i think about it i am almost positive that is how i did it on the plane and it worked fine.......
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:29 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs2300 View Post
well.......hmmmm.....as far as i can remember (im not around it) i didn't have a ground going from the cam to the Vtx on the plane i used it on and it worked.........i am 99.99% sure about that....just ran power and ground from my cam to my battery.....plugged in the Vtx to the balance plug on my battery....and ran the signal wire from my cam to my Vtx....now that i think about it i am almost positive that is how i did it on the plane and it worked fine.......
Ok, maybe I am wrong. I have always wired mine where a ground goes from cam to vtx. Not saying that your wrong, but I have always done it like that.

I hate it when something works great, and you move the location and all of a sudden it wont work. When you get home/time post those pics if you dont mind. It would help simplify things.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrice4 View Post
Ok, maybe I am wrong. I have always wired mine where a ground goes from cam to vtx. Not saying that your wrong, but I have always done it like that.

I hate it when something works great, and you move the location and all of a sudden it wont work. When you get home/time post those pics if you dont mind. It would help simplify things.
lol...yea tell me about it....really annoying part is i put it back where it was and it didn't work there anymore either....its really going to upset me if i have to replace the Vtx (which im starting to think i will) since its only been used twice....and i will get back with those pics as soon as i can....itll probably be tomorrow evening...

and thanks again to everyone for the quick replies........anyone got any other ideas....