HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:14 AM
Flying Fanatic & Lunatic
Sillicon Valley, California, USA
Joined Dec 2003
334 Posts
Triton vs Thunder Power 2100mAh 2cell li-po

What is everyone running their chargers at? A friend of mine has a AstroFlight 109 Lithium Charger, and if our chargers are set at the same rate 2.1A his charges MUCH faster then mine. His takes about 45 minutes, mine takes over an hour and a half!

Were both running Thunder Power 2 cell 2100mAh li-po's and we were both at the same state of drained. 7.0v

Mine took an hour and 35 minutes to charge, his took 51 minutes.

Are there some settings I need to change or??

My Triton has a power supply of 13.8v @ 3.1A regulated! so I dont think its an input problem, although my buddies astro has a regulated supply of 14.1v @ 2.5A.
The Disturbed 1 is offline Find More Posts by The Disturbed 1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:09 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined May 2002
2,524 Posts
Interesting...

I'm interested in an answer here too... I just bought a Triton....

Anybody?... anybody...Bueller...Bueller...

CJS
CactusJackSlade is online now Find More Posts by CactusJackSlade
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:26 AM
Does anyone hear a cat?
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
did both packs take the same # mAh in?
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:32 AM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
I have a TP 2100 and a Triton. I'm charging at 1C (2.1A) and it takes a long time. I understand my pack is larger but was wondering what the deal is. Is the Triton just "more careful" when it comes to charging a Lipoly?
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:52 AM
Hey... watch this...
Herndon, Virginia, United States
Joined Feb 2003
787 Posts
I have found that the Triton does seem to be "more careful" with Liploy batts.

I use Lipoly exclusively in my models and yes the Triton does seem to ramp up slower and ramp down slower then typical chargers.

The truth of the matter is your batts are probably 95% recharged in 50 mins but the last 5% takes another 20-30 mins because the charge ramps down to top them off.

I would check how many MAH each setup is putting in one thing I know for sure is my Triton tops my batts all the way to capacity each time.

If I am in a hurry to fly I do pull them off the charger once I see the amps in drop to .2-.1, thats when the triton has put at least 90% of the charge back in and being as Liploy batts dont suffer from charge "memory" it is very safe to do.

I personally like the fact that the charger is very safe and I cycle 4 lipoly packs constantly when I fly and "knock on wood" have never had a incident with them. I am always careful to make sure I set the correct charge rate each time.

Just FYI you could charge your TP packs safely probably at 2C, I charge my Etec 1200's at 2C (2.4a) at the field and 1C (1.2) at home and the cells dont even get warm in the summer months and I have yet to see any loss of capacity, been running some of these packs for 5-6 months.

Mike
Mmarshall is offline Find More Posts by Mmarshall
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:11 AM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Thanks Mike,

I didn't even notice that the Triton will charge a lipoly at 2C
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:21 PM
Flying Fanatic & Lunatic
Sillicon Valley, California, USA
Joined Dec 2003
334 Posts
That is what I was thinking, but isnt li-po a "Constant Voltage Constant Current" deal? why would a charger ramp? oh well, all I know is it works, but takes forever... Your saying I COULD charge a thunderpower at 2C? What about 1.5C? would that work as well?

as for mAh for charging the 2 packs on different chargers, mine did push a bit more into the pack. I think mine does a much better job of carefully charging, but just not quickly. It's funny though cause now we use the triton to charge at home, and the astro as a field charger.
The Disturbed 1 is offline Find More Posts by The Disturbed 1
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:17 PM
Pasadena, CA
Joined Jun 2003
3,182 Posts
It is not recommended, by any lipo manufacturer, at this time, to charge above 1 C. All the chargers allow you to set the max charge current.

For a near fully drained cell, it should take more than 1 hour, for any charger, since it has to slow down at the end.
derway is offline Find More Posts by derway
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:49 PM
Dallas,TX
Joined Jul 2001
1,656 Posts
i have a triton and when i charge my 2s etec 1200 pack it usually only takes 30 mins or so to do the bulk 1c charge (depends on how low I run the pack down) but I've noticed at the end of the charge, it slows down to 0.1amps. It usually puts about an extra 150ma in at that rate so if I'm in a hurry I just take it off the charger soon as it ramps down to .1amps just as Mike suggested. I also tend to charge my li-poly last since the nimh packs charge faster and I also take some extra safety precautions when charging li-poly.

After a year plus steady use, my triton is working great. Only issue I occasionally have with mine (minor) is the rotary knob not clicking the first time I press it. Oh that and the fact I filled all 10 memory slots and could use about 4 or 5 more memory settings.
mattk17 is offline Find More Posts by mattk17
Last edited by mattk17; Jan 11, 2004 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 04:09 PM
Houston Tx
Joined Jun 2003
93 Posts
Hey Disturbed,
The Triton chargers are VERY sensitive to resistance in the leads. I had the EXACT same problem, it was taking 90 min to charge a 1500 Kokam. I mage up a new set of leads using good wire and made sure my solder joints were good...... not another problem. I have answered 3 other posts to people having the same problem, suggested new leads and it worked for them too. These Tritons are just picky about their leads.

You are charging at a setting of 2.1 but is the charger actually ramping up to the full 2.1 or is it staying around 700mah most of the charge (.7)

Erin
ecrouse is offline Find More Posts by ecrouse
Last edited by ecrouse; Jan 11, 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 05:43 PM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
My leads are long but they are of good silicon heavy guage stuff. They are about 2 and a half fee long. Is that an issue?
Old Jan 11, 2004, 05:52 PM
Houston Tx
Joined Jun 2003
93 Posts
No, shouldn't be. Mine are a 4' set of Radio Shack digital multimeter leads that I chopped the probe end off of and soldered a deans connector. The givaway is the charger will not charge at the full amperage selected. If you select 2.1A the charger starts out at a low number like .1 and builds to the full 2.1A over the first 5 min of the charge. Then it stays at 2.1 until the V of the pack at 2.1A = 8.0V (or so) then it starts to back off the amps and maintains a constant voltage charge until the pack reads 8.4V at .1A. Then it is considered charged.

If after the first 5 min or so, the charger is not charging at 2.1A, it is most likely a problem of resistance in your leads.
ecrouse is offline Find More Posts by ecrouse
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:56 PM
Dale Lindsay
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
OK then I'm peaking out to the max current rating each time so no issue. thanks.