Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:56 PM
Montrose, CO
Joined Jul 2003
281 Posts
Closed Build Threads

New Forum Suggestion
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Forum Name: Closed Build Threads

Topic: Built threads that have been completed and closed.

Category: Airplanes - Electric

Description:

This forum would consist entirely of tutorial threads concerning the building of electric airplanes. Each individual thread would concern only one model. Only threads that are complete and have been closed would be located in this forum. Build threads in various forums would be moved to the "Closed Build Threads" forum only after they had been closed.

Justification: Having all these closed threads in a single forum would make it much easier to determine if such a thread existed for any given model. After completing a build thread, the primarily builder could edit any of the early posts (if needed to improve the tutorial value of the thread) prior to it being moved to the "Closed build threads" forum.

Many of these closed build threads have lasting tutorial value, but at present may be hard to find since they are no longer "current". Having a separate forum for them, would be a way of making the information more apparent to interested parties, as one would only need to search a single forum to see if a closed tutorial thread existed for any given model that might be of interest.

Moderator(s): Martin Hunter has done a number of excellent build threads and might be requested to be moderator if he were to support this idea.
Jim13704 is offline Find More Posts by Jim13704
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:28 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Re: Closed Build Threads

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim13704
Moderator(s): Martin Hunter has done a number of excellent build threads and might be requested to be moderator if he were to support this idea.
I'd gladly moderate this if it went through. Most build threads, however, don't get locked down until they grow beyond a certain point.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 11, 2004, 03:50 AM
N. Staffs, UK
Joined Jan 1997
5,654 Posts
Just a thought but there might be a good argument for moving such things out of RCGroups to a separate website somewhere. Lively discussion forums like ours are not the ideal place to try to keep archive data. Every so often the forums may need to be maintained or cleared out and things can get lost. It's happened here in the past and it could happen again.

It seems reasonable to keep such info for posterity but perhaps somewhere other than the forums would be better ?

Steve
steve lewin is offline Find More Posts by steve lewin
Old Jan 11, 2004, 01:00 PM
Montrose, CO
Joined Jul 2003
281 Posts
Here is an example of the type of closed threads I am suggesting for this forum;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...55#post1673055

This thread is a step-by-step tutorial on building an SX2. It was closed from the beginning. It was partnered with another thread, located here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...56#post1673056

This second thread was for discussion and was not closed. By having separate threads, both an uncluttered tutorial and an extensive discusion were achieved.

What I am suggesting is that only the closed thread would be in this new forum, but that it would be linked to the discussion thread. Anyone interested in building an SX2 would then have a convenent way of locating both the tutorial and the discussion threads. The presence of a closed-thread forum might also encourage more builders to have seperate tutorial and discussion threads, which in my opinion, would be a good thing.

Steve, I agree that this might not be "the best" way to archive data for posterity, but it might just be a better way of organizing a portion of the data that is already on RC Groups. Isn't that what the forums and threads do - organize existing data? This organization would not preclude longer-term archiving, e.g., other web sites, print, etc., but thats a separate issue.

Edited to correct links.
Jim13704 is offline Find More Posts by Jim13704
Last edited by Jim13704; Jan 11, 2004 at 01:13 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:13 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
I think this is a great idea. Sort of a 'review' forum. In fact, a it would be a great place to file the review discussion threads..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W