SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
Hi everyone I've been hiding behind the scene for a bit trying to learn what I can.

My V222 finally arrived a couple days ago and I got to fly it for the first time yesterday. Man do I like it! I was able to fly it in an average sized field with only a couple DO. I've had very little experience flying but this quad makes it look easy.

I do have one question though. Is there a way to switch channel 4(rudder left stick) and channel 1(aileron right stick)? I can understand why it's setup this way for airplanes but from my computer gaming experience strafe is on my keyboard left hand while turning would be done with the mouse (right hand)

I'm looking into getting a fpv system later on and that kind of layout would make more sense to me.

In any case I'm loving this quad and I can't wait till my replacement transmitter comes in so I can really try to get a bit more distance with it.
Syldain is offline Find More Posts by Syldain
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:39 AM
1 man standing in a field
United Kingdom, Royal Leamington Spa
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syldain View Post
Hi everyone I've been hiding behind the scene for a bit trying to learn what I can.

My V222 finally arrived a couple days ago and I got to fly it for the first time yesterday. Man do I like it! I was able to fly it in an average sized field with only a couple DO. I've had very little experience flying but this quad makes it look easy.

I do have one question though. Is there a way to switch channel 4(rudder left stick) and channel 1(aileron right stick)? I can understand why it's setup this way for airplanes but from my computer gaming experience strafe is on my keyboard left hand while turning would be done with the mouse (right hand)

I'm looking into getting a fpv system later on and that kind of layout would make more sense to me.

In any case I'm loving this quad and I can't wait till my replacement transmitter comes in so I can really try to get a bit more distance with it.
I think you need a programmable TX for that.
the_bunker is offline Find More Posts by the_bunker
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:44 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,612 Posts
Quote:
Is there a way to switch channel 4(rudder left stick) and channel 1(aileron right stick)? I can understand why it's setup this way for airplanes but from my computer gaming experience strafe is on my keyboard left hand while turning would be done with the mouse (right hand)
Welcome to RCG. If I understood your question correctly, you basically want to swap the Rud and Ail controls, turning a Mode 2 into a Mode 4 radio.

The ultimate answer is to get a programmable radio that gives you the best option, control, and everything. But it also tends to be more expensive and requires more work.

For the purpose of controlling the V222 and get what you want, the easiest and cheapest solution is to get this Switchable Tx for the V222.

Otherwise, you could open up the stock Tx, perform some trace cutting and wire jumping to swap the 2 channels.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:16 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Bakhchysarai
Joined Mar 2012
1,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn7 View Post
Tried the same yesterday and sent my now perfectly functioning V222 to Davy Jones locker. Hopefully a sacrifice to Poseidon and Aeolus will keep this from happening again. An upper level wind was more than the V222 could power through.
Adios!

p.s. Banggood is backordered on v222 w/ stock transmitter (bug fixed) so I went ahead and ordered one with the switchable Tx hoping I'd get it quicker. We'll see.
sorry to hear about your marine quad. it's terribly windy on the beach, I was about to wash mine too. that's why we don't see many beach videos from any kind of quads. I think there are 2-3 days a year when you can actually film see from the quad, you must keep your bird and batteries ready for that day. I don't have much time so don't even hope.
asanovrus is offline Find More Posts by asanovrus
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
For the purpose of controlling the V222 and get what you want, the easiest and cheapest solution is to get this Switchable Tx for the V222.

The BangGood description says switch between Mode 1 & 2 - so wouldn't be suitable for Mode 4 ? - CORRECTION - a reviewer says you can switch between all 4 modes.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Mar 2012
1,546 Posts
I advise to learn to use Mod 2 unless you fly other way for decades. mod 2 is kind of standard and you have more freedom with it. or look for mod1 for the rest of your life
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:19 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,546 Posts
here's my beach adventure with y3000 camera onboard:
Квадрокоптер в Каче, Крым, Украина 2013-08-20 (3 min 29 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:10 PM
United States, ID, Meridian
Joined Jul 2013
24 Posts
Quote:

The switchable transmitter actually has 4 modes, strafe on left stick is possible with mode 4. See below:

Mode 1 is (commonly found everywhere outside of USA apparently, throttle on right stick):
My Quadcopter terms:
left stick: pitch forward/backward = move stick up/down
turn left/right = move stick left/right
right stick: raise/lower = move stick up/down
strafe left/right = move stick left/right

Airplane terms:
left stick: elevator up/down, rudder left/right
right stick: throttle up/down, aileron left/right

Mode 2 is (commonly found in USA, throttle on left stick):
Quadcopter terms:
left stick: raise/lower = move stick up/down
right stick: pitch forward/backward = move stick up/down

Airplane:
left stick = throttle up/down, rudder left/right
right stick = elevator up/down, aileron left/right

Mode 3 (like mode 1 where throttle is on the right stick) is:
Quadcopter terms:
left stick: pitch forward/backward = move stick up/down
right stick: raise/lower = move stick up/down

Mode 4 (like mode 2 where throttle is on the left stick, turning & strafing swapped) is:
Quadcopter terms:
left stick: raise/lower = move stick up/down
right stick: pitch forward/backward = move stick up/down

Switching modes: Use the switch above the power switch to choose between throttle on left (down position of switch chooses modes 1/3) or throttle on right (up position of the switch). Then choose between 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 by pressing the "Model button" - the button at the 9 o'clock position of the 4 buttons that form a circle in the bottom right part of the transmitter to the right of the LCD screen.

So you want your switch above the power switch in the down position and then a click of the "model" button, should get you to mode 4.

It's all just muscle memory, when I switch between playstation/Xbox 360/PC, I have to take a sec and reprogram my brain As you progress and "step up" in this hobby to fpv, you'll be buying much better programmable transmitters/receivers - long distance tx/rx like dragonlink or EzUhf. So, no worries, this stuff is all changeable especially when you get more expensive equipment, get your feet wet with the v222, have fun and post some videos!
KopterKen is offline Find More Posts by KopterKen
Last edited by KopterKen; Aug 20, 2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:16 PM
Eye to the sky!
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Dec 2012
1,373 Posts
Quote:

I also recommend you try and get used to it. I also play PC games and it never gave me problems. Using 2 sticks is quite different than a keyboard & mouse.

It just takes time for the muscle memory to develop.

Otherwise it'll be like having a right-hand drive car (stick-shift) in the US. No one else will be able to drive it competently, and if that's all you're used to you won't be able to drive anyone else's car very well either.

You may be able to get Mode 4 working if you buy the switchable Tx, but what about the next quad?
jason4207 is offline Find More Posts by jason4207
Old Aug 20, 2013, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2013
22 Posts
There's alot of good points here so I guess I'll stick with mode 2. Today was my second day flying and I'm feeling alot more confident in flying the v222. Tried to make a couple videos but unfortunately I had a DO while filming and I think it corrupted the flash card.

I tried night flying for the first time and it was a blast! I removed the front and rear headlights because they were falling off the canopy but I had no problems orienting myself with the underside LEDs. I heard a couple "Look at that firefly!" from a couple houses down and my next door neighbour even came out and is asking me to look into ordering one for himself.

The next thing on my mind is updating the controller. Has anyone here compared the stock and switchable tx side by side? I'm looking for more finer control and maybe get some more range sans dropouts. If there isn't much of a difference I'd have to look into getting a devo but my soldering skills are horrible. I'd have to try and find a place where they sell a modded tx.

In any case hopefully I'll get more time to play tomorrow.
Syldain is offline Find More Posts by Syldain
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:04 AM
Noob
Joined Feb 2013
171 Posts
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but I received the 'free' replacement transmitter for the V222 from Banggood this week.

The dropout issue is completely resolved and I am finally able to put the V222 through it's paces and compare it to the 959. Simply much better in every way except for the flip button which seems a bit hit and miss.

I cant believe I've had to wait so long to actually fly it but does fly really well, even inside my small house, I even managed to fight a fairly strong wind with it today. It seems more responsive and easier to control the 959, so all in all I'm a pretty happy bunny.
martybabe is offline Find More Posts by martybabe
Old Aug 22, 2013, 04:56 AM
Joined Nov 2005
14 Posts
Question on best way to fly....

Hi everyone. I'm new to quads, and have been having a lot of fun flying my v212 indoors. When we get some nice calm weather I want to let it loose outside, as from the videos posted it should be a blast.

But I'm wondering what's the best way to fly this thing about... let me explain. In the house I've mostly been keeping the quad in a fixed orientation, as yaw control seems pretty slow compared to the other controls.

With just right stick I can move about pretty quickly (mostly on 40% rates), and avoid imminent collisions with house obstacles when they get too close.

But what's the approach for faster flying outdoors? Adjust speed with forward cyclic, direction with yaw and height with throttle? Is there any comparison that can be done to fixed wing flying (I have a bit of experience here) or is a quad always going to be totally different?
markbr is offline Find More Posts by markbr
Old Aug 22, 2013, 05:37 AM
Joined Sep 2012
153 Posts
Hi Mark - welcome to the forum.

The best advice is to get out there & practice !

In terms of using yaw - I try & fly like plane or helicopter - so I always orientate to the direction I'm heading.
You don't have to do that with a quad though - and some recent quads will even auto orientate according to the direction you point the stick.

Outside it's better to move up to 60% & once you gain confidence 100% - it turns much faster then !

Enjoy flying - and it's worth reading posts on this forum for tips & ideas.

PS: I found changing props to GW/EP5443 (& making holes in the canopy) I can fly in pretty strong winds.
Last edited by the_bunker; Aug 22, 2013 at 08:44 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined May 2006
8,108 Posts
I tried to buy a charger lead to be able to charge multiple of the V222 batteries at once on an Accucel 6 charger, but I bought the wrong board. Can anyone tell me which board or lead has the correct end on it?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rge_Leads.html
Socomon is offline Find More Posts by Socomon
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:26 AM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,420 Posts
You'll need something like this:
http://www.rcmodelscout.com/Batterie...parallel/40511

Unfortunately HK doesn't carry it anymore.
http://www.hobbyking-watch.com/produ...s-in-parallel/

Look for similar at ebay.

maybe you can make one from this:
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-3_...e-p-67575.html
and 4mm banana plugs
-mike-.
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mikefromgermany; Aug 22, 2013 at 11:33 AM.