SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:58 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
A few test shots from my GWS350-D / ugly test

I got a brand new GWS350C/D motor with some of my xmas moolah. I wanted to test the setup that can lift my 25+ oz slowstick on my sub-18 oz ugly5.

Conditions were fair, -5 F and 5 mph winds but clear and sunny.

This was a test of height acheivement--full throttle till I decide to stop. I stopped when the plane started to get hard to see. The test went great but I had some trouble later in the day. At this point I'm not sure if the first flights were lucky, something has become faulty or it just got too cold for my lipolys. When we are back in the + double digits I'll do some more testing.

First shot is the self portrait. I'm in front of the car at the bottom. My daughter's school in the background.

Check the length of those shadows!
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:01 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Looking northwest.

Those clouds on the upper left look kind of close to me.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:03 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Just about north.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:04 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
North east
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:05 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Mostly east. Maybe a bit to the south.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:10 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
When I was done I decided to give the new wing a little test too. This is from the ugly on the dive from altitude. The guide wires held the wing on beautifully. The prop spins up as if the plane is at full throttle when I do this though. Will that hurt anything?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:23 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
That cloud *is* lower than me. It is obscuring objects on the ground. I think I need higher visability wings now so I can go higher!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:03 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by fdisk
That cloud *is* lower than me.
I saw that in your second image and thought it was a smoke (vapor) plume in the cold air. Is there anything like a power plant or mill in that direction?

Have you posted pics of your plane anywhere? I know you call it ugly but don't be bashful. Anything that delivers great functionality is beautiful by design, even if it doesn't go with the wife's drapes...
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:12 AM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Yea, now that you point that out it could be a mill or something but I can't guess what it is. I'll have to drive that direction and look for steam. I think it is 6-8 miles away.

I've been working on documentation of the ugly5. It only just occurred to me that I didn't have any pics so I started a workup. I started gathering material for the ugly6 so I guess that is what really kicked it off. I warn you, make sure the children and people with weak constitutions are out of the room. This thing is ugly enough to offend people with even modest taste in planes. People usually show up while it is in the air doing a darn good job even for a decent plane and when I bring it in and they get a good look they just can't accept what they just saw with their own eyes.

http://www.fdisk.com/rcaddict/pics/ugly5/

EDIT: fixed url.
Last edited by fdisk; Jan 11, 2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:38 AM
Did You Hear That?
Tucson, Arizona
Joined Aug 2003
2,206 Posts
Looks like altitude achievement turned into an overachiever!... Great shots... The pic link didn't work when I tried it for a look at the "ugly"... Could it be so "ugly" that it broke its own link?...

Kevin
wattnoise is online now Find More Posts by wattnoise
Old Jan 11, 2004, 11:52 AM
North East
Joined Nov 2001
1,198 Posts
ugly is

OMG, Did you HAVE to post that here?????????????????
People in this forum have some decent moral values and you corrupt them. Please have some consideration :

BTW, was that Camel's bump I saw or Mt. Mans?
HIGHFLYER99 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHFLYER99
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:12 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
I warned you. Every part of the ugly5 is either for survivability or effectiveness. The flags were added for luck and reflectivity rather than look.

I don't see camels hump any where. MM could be it. I failed geography at all levels though.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:14 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Fuse looks like it was modeled after the profile of a Dutch wooden shoe.
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:25 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
That is very true. Each version has become more and more like the shoe. The ugly6 prototype fuse I am playing with looks even more like one.

I want to build the next one slightly bigger, but end up either lighter or the same weight including a brushless motor. It will be taller to accept a larger prop and allow larger cameras to be embedded in the middle.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 06:35 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
The - Uh, ! Plain ?

fdisk,

I am glad you have begun to let us see what you have been flying to get those super pictures with. I'm also glad you are beginning to keep some pics of it. I like to keep a full documentation of all of my builds.

I am surprised that that wing has been carrying your camera so high. You are knocking hard on the large # of squares to get a camera in the air. (You know what happens when you go against convention!)

Is this function over form or form over function??

BTW, what is just in front of the wing? That black round thing?

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger