HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

New AirCore Modular Aircraft System

This cool new Flyzone technology was debuted at the Weak Signals Toledo Show at the Hobbico booth!

Splash

Extreme Versatility!

What is AirCore?

AirCore is a revolutionary new concept in R/C flight. On the outside, AirCore airplanes look like typical aircraft. Inside, though, is a BIG difference: the Power Cartridge. It contains a brushless motor, brushless ESC, Tactic SLT receiver and 3 digital ultra-micro servos.

Hereís the fun part. You can remove the Power Cartridge and install it in another AirCore aircraft. Itís easy, too; the Power Cartridge self-aligns and locks into place with magnets Ė no tools necessary.

Best of all, there's a wide variety of AirCore aircraft. Many more are coming soon. The choices - and the possibilities - will be virtually unlimited.

AirCore airplanes will change the way you fly by making it easier to enjoy - and more affordable - than ever before!

Learn more here.

Last edited by Sleepyc; Apr 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM..

Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:27 PM
R/C, FPV, UAVs
Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
112 Posts
This is OLD news.
Sgt_Ric is offline Find More Posts by Sgt_Ric
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:29 PM
R/C, FPV, UAVs
Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
112 Posts
Old news

This is OLD news.
This same power pod system debuted in the '80s, but never really caught on.
The hobby world wasn't ready for coroplast models back then.
Maybe things have changed.(?)

Either way, can't call this power pod system new. At all!
Sgt_Ric is offline Find More Posts by Sgt_Ric
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:29 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,260 Posts
Pretty sure I have a Tower catalog from '07 that lists an "AirCore" cartridge type thing for fuel planes. This ain't a new concept by any means (except maybe for the folks who don't even realize IC power exists).

To me it seems sort of dumb. A power system should be tailored to its own airframe rather than shoehorned into a bunch of different ones. I guess it's no big deal for those who don't care about specialized performance, but personally I'd rather keep some variety in how my planes fly as well as how they look.

... Not to mention how bending a motor shaft on the first landing of the day would render the rest of your hangar unflyable
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:50 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
5,709 Posts
makes me think of http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1873617
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:18 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,308 Posts
Aircore's Power Module system was around in the 1990's for sure. The idea was that you swapped your engine, fuel tank, throttle servo from model to model as you advanced from basic trainer, to intermediate and advanced airframes. The idea might have had some merits when power systems were expensive, but this stuff is so cheap nowadays that it's simple to just leave the gear in the model, if it is still going to be flown.
leccyflyer is online now Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:20 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
http://www.parkscalemodels.com/shop/....aspx?catid=23

Swappable power train.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:51 AM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
yup, I've seen this concept years ago - can't recall if it was glow or electric - nearly sure it was electric...

anyway in principle it's problematic for two basic reasons
1. CoG and flight performance will be dictated by the inflexibility of the cartridge so all the aircraft will fly more or less the same ... not very exciting that!
2. Electric gear is fairly affordable compared with 5 and 10 years ago and very affordable compared with glow... so the small savings made by using one power system are offset by the above mentioned negatives

other that that... yeah its great
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:22 AM
Canada, ON, Paris
Joined Mar 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Ric View Post
This is OLD news.
This same power pod system debuted in the '80s, but never really caught on.
The hobby world wasn't ready for coroplast models back then.
Maybe things have changed.(?)

Either way, can't call this power pod system new. At all!
Its new to the indoor world, and new technologies. Dont knock around other peoples post.
I saw it first hand @ toledo and thought it was very cool, and "new"... and i have been in this hobby for 25 + yrs.... i will definetly buy one.
cpaine is offline Find More Posts by cpaine
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,765 Posts
"My plane is nose heavy. What can I do?"

"Add a brick of counterweight to the tail".
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:51 PM
WMD
Bradford, UK
Joined Jan 2010
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaine View Post
...Dont knock around other peoples post...
I disagree. I strongly feel that that we should all be very much allowed the freedom to knock posts/threads like this - a post that overtly and directly markets and advertises a product. If we are only ever allowed to say that stuff is great... it is going to be very, very dull around here. Plus, if the product is of course genuinely good, it will thrive. That's how the free market works, right?
WMD is online now Find More Posts by WMD
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:34 PM
Canada, ON, Paris
Joined Mar 2007
159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
I disagree. I strongly feel that that we should all be very much allowed the freedom to knock posts/threads like this - a post that overtly and directly markets and advertises a product. If we are only ever allowed to say that stuff is great... it is going to be very, very dull around here. Plus, if the product is of course genuinely good, it will thrive. That's how the free market works, right?
Tru... I would agree with that.... but it came across as "arrogant" almost like the guy who posted it should of know that it wasn't a "new" idea....and I have little tolerance for that. But yes we should be able to argue back and forth (like we are now it is the whole point of forums. Sorry for any confusion as to what I was directing my argument to.
cpaine is offline Find More Posts by cpaine
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:53 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
1,765 Posts
I think we're all in agreement.
1) Old idea
2) stupid idea.

Lock the thread down.
DustBen is online now Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:08 PM
Owatonna MN 55060
Joined Sep 2005
1,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
I think we're all in agreement.
1) Old idea
2) stupid idea.

Lock the thread down.
Good idea! Combine it with the sound system ones first.
Gohmer is offline Find More Posts by Gohmer
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:01 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,675 Posts
Sorry, but when they write "AirCore is a revolutionary new concept in R/C flight.", I expect it to not be a recycled idea from the early 90's.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat