HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

LayerLens GoPro Lens Protection

A naked GoPro is a much lighter and less bulky option for capturing your FPV flights in HD. LayerLens protects your naked asset!

Splash

Ditch the stock heavy case and fly naked!

A naked GoPro is a much lighter and less bulky option for capturing your FPV flights in HD. But the downside is the increased risk of scratching the lens during landing or a crash. This is where fpvmanuals.com steps in with a lens protection system specifically designed for GoPro2 and GoPro3 units. The LayerLens attaches to the GoPro with a hook and loop strap, effectively shielding the lens from virtually anything your dumb thumbs can throw at it. Replacement lenses are available and are easily switched out.

The LayerLens is around $25, depending on model.

More info is available at fpvmanual's website.

Discussion

Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:36 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,725 Posts
I thought that was a great idea and got all excited until I saw the price of $24 does NOT include the lens. So you have to buy this accessory for $24 and a $15 lens replacement kit brings the grand total to $40. Ouch... that's a lot of money for a Velcro strap, some foam, and a small piece of glass.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:00 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
You can just pull the lens cover off the original case. So your total investment is $24.
And even if you scratch the original protective cover, buying another for $15 is still cheaper overall that buying a new lens if you scratch it. And its not easy to remove the lens and get it focused again. Ask me how I know

FYI, for those with a GoPro3, the LayerLens kit comes with a lens cover.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 05:23 AM
www.allthatido.com
India, Maharashtra, Mumbai
Joined May 2006
113 Posts
Or you can make a diy version

Testing DIY lens protection for GoPro Hero 3 (1 min 17 sec)

More pics at :

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/te...lens-protector
ankurkaul17 is offline Find More Posts by ankurkaul17
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:01 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2012
327 Posts
When will these be back in stock?
Jdmagoo is online now Find More Posts by Jdmagoo
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:14 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
buying another for $15 is still cheaper overall that buying a new lens if you scratch it.
Huh? I got 2 new lenses from gopro directly for the hero2 case for $6.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Aug 18, 2013, 08:16 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,002 Posts
I meant for the GP3. sorry.
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RMRC FPV Fest 2014 Wrap-up
Old Feb 22, 2014, 06:38 PM
SAR
United States, FL, St Cloud
Joined Aug 2013
99 Posts
GoPro original Protective Lens + Covers kit

We were searching for a lens filter to protect a naked GoPro. Discovered the LayerLens and saw this GoPro Protective Lens + Covers kit recently. GoPro's version runs about $19 or less, includes glass Protective Lens, lens covers for camera and standard housing, plus replace battery door and side door. You can also just get two glass Protective Lens without the rest of the replacements for about the same price.

GoPro 3+ Black, Protective Lens on a 2-Axis Brushless Camera Gimbal (6 min 5 sec)
tvdrone is online now Find More Posts by tvdrone