Old Apr 18, 2013, 12:28 PM
Canada, ON, Timmins
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
Discussion
Changing Tracks

Hi Guys

New here and have couple of questions.

1. I live in Canada and would like to know where I can buy a battery recharger for my Heng Long Tanks. Current charger that came with tanks takes way to long. Any suggestions or brands to buy. Don't want to break the bank.

2. How do I replace the plastic treads with the metal treads. I can't see any place on plastic tread that is detachable Also how do you change sprockets.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Oneshot99
Oneshot99 is offline Find More Posts by Oneshot99
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:13 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,015 Posts
Oneshot99,

What tank do you have?

Any brand of aftermarket charger that will be set up for your batteries will be better than the wall wort. I don't live in Canada, so I can't give a store recommendation.

To replace the tracks, remove the center hub cover from the sprockets and undo the screw or allen head bolt holding it on. Pull it off the axle and you can change the tracks and sprocket quite easily.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:27 PM
Canada, ON, Timmins
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
Thanks

When looking on web sites can't seem to tell if they are good for my batteries. Just would like one that recharges in 20 mins or so.

Tiger 1 and the Snow Leopard

1 for me and 1 for my grandson.

Great name by the way, same as my dads.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 05:51 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
At the same time it would be best to upgrade the batteries to some longer running times and get out of the Ni-Cads.

JMHO

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:27 PM
Canada, ON, Timmins
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
OK

Current batteries (NI-MH SC2000mAh 7.2 V) run approx. 25 to 30 mins.
What would you suggest for batteries.

Sorry but I am totally ignorant on this subject.

Oneshot99
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:47 PM
Semper Fi
Joined Jun 2008
1,015 Posts
At the present time I am running 5000mAh Li-Po batteries. They do have certain risks involved in charging and storing them and I would not recommend them for children. The Ni-MH are OK also, as are the LIFE, but you may want to up grade to a larger capacity for longer run times. Onyx chargers have multiple battery type charging options as do some Hyperion chargers. When ordering make sure you specify the type of battery you will be charging to make sure it will be compatible.

I was named after both grandfathers.

Herman
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:04 AM
Canada, ON, Timmins
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
Could you please let me know what the risks are with this larger battery type.

What is Li-Po battery? Is that the type that doesn't have memory? Can be charged without letting it run down to zero?

Oneshot99
Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:34 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Jun 2008
1,015 Posts
Li-Po batteries are the ones that if they are mistreated can burst into flame. They must be charged inside a flame proof container and not left unattended while charging. They do not have memory, but cannot be discharged below 3mAh level at any time. They are lighter in weight and electrical output is more consistent across the charge. Life batteries do not have these flame problems, but do cost a bit more. Battery size has no or very little bearing on the risk, only the type of battery.

Herman
Old Apr 19, 2013, 01:43 PM
United States
Joined Oct 2008
588 Posts
Ni-Cads develop a memory if they are not not "fully" discharged (and not just by operating the vehicle) so that is the edge against those batteries.

Getting into some Ni-Mh batteries are safer than Lipo's and the important thing is, you can charge them up at anytime. A good battery charger will let you know how they are charging. Run times depend on how much you spend too.

Much safer for you and your children.

~ Jeff
Panther F is offline Find More Posts by Panther F
Old May 12, 2013, 12:06 PM
Canada, ON, Timmins
Joined Apr 2013
11 Posts
Thanks for the help.
I finally put on my metal treads and sprockets, for both my Tiger I and M26 snow leopard.

They drive around the yard great.
Will post a video and pics when I get the opportunity.

Unfortunately there is 6" of snow this morning in Timmins.

Happy Mothers Day eh. lol