HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 17, 2013, 07:22 AM
Griffith, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
Discussion
70" Graham Dorschell Avro Vulcan

Hi everyone.

A couple of months ago i decided to attempt my first scratch build.
Anyway I really love delta wings and stumbled across the Avro Vulcan on Youtube, the thing has such a great presence in the air and seems so floaty, I thought would be a great challenge to build one.
I searched the net for some plans and found Grahams Dorschell's kit which is sold by Traplet. I bought the wood kit and plans, so not really a scratch build but there is some mods that i wished to do to make it more like the original.

The mods i wanted to do was convert it to EDF rather than pusher configuration.
Change the elevators to the full scale design and build a scale like undercarriage with gear doors. So now that I had thrown myself in the deep end and the kit was on its way, I had to make a decision on a power system and retracts.
I ended up purchasing 4 Mercury alloy 64mm 4700kv fans. I choose these because of the sound they produce and their good thrust numbers. While it wont reproduce the Vulcans awesome sound, at least 4 of these should do it justice in this small scale.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=20142

I also purchased a set of RC lander bogie retracts.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=29293
I had the intent of changing the rear gear to match the full size Vulcan as best i could.

Depending how this one turns out, I would love to build it bigger with 4x 90mm fans.
Anyway here's the start of my build with more pics to come.
jonesy291 is offline Find More Posts by jonesy291
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2013, 08:00 AM
Griffith, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
Wing construction

After starting on the wing construction I realised that it was going to be quite tricky to get the wing to the correct shape. Since the design didnt have any tabs at the bottom of the ribs, so that it could be aligned properly. After reading some stuff from graham it turns out that the rear of the ribs needed to be flat to the board.

I dismantled the wing and made the scale elevator mods to the plan. Then got on with construction of the right wing again.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:14 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Nice subject;take it slow,dry fit is always good.

http://www.falcon-aviation.co.uk/search.php/Vulcan

Did you come across this
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46
Last edited by Stupot46; Apr 17, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 03:38 PM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
281 Posts
I love this bomber. so graceful.

Keep the posts coming
meerkat13 is online now Find More Posts by meerkat13
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:54 AM
Griffith, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
After struggling with the nose assembly due to the ribs being twisted, i started on the rest of the fuselage.

Well, that didn't go to well because of the main wing ribs being completely out of shape.
I had to heat them and try to bend them back to being straight once happy I then tacked everything together with CA.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 02:59 AM
Griffith, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
Stu. I have seen it.
Here is the build thread on it.
http://www.largemodelassociation.com....php?f=9&t=913

And one of the test flights at woodford in front of the real thing.
It sounds amazing but so it should, since it has 4 P160s in it!!!! Crazy money$$$ Love it!

Vulcan at Woodford Pt 3 (6 min 6 sec)
Old Apr 18, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
I hadn't seen that,thanks for posting.Brilliant soundtrack
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:40 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,533 Posts
man that is awsome ,what a project!
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:40 PM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
Any progress on the build? Would love to see more of it! I have always loved the Vulcan and got a couple of different Vulcan plans but have yet to start building it. Graham did create an EDF version of the pusher plan as well, which is available from him directly. Its based around 4 x 70mm units.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:17 AM
Griffith, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
Not a lot has been happening with the build at the moment. Been busy building an e-bike and playing gigs.
I actually bought the edf version of the plans off graham but I really wasn't happy with them. The plans are a smaller scale to the kit I purchased so they're not really useable. The wing spar is pretty much nonexistent when installing fans. There is also a few scale details about the kit which I'm not too keen on. I should post some pics about what I am talking about.
So currently, I'm drawing new plans and learning solid works at the same time. It's a steep learning curve!
What plans do you have to build from Thomas?
I will get some more pics up on the other parts I have been working on though.
Old Aug 24, 2013, 03:27 AM
Norway, Hordaland, Os
Joined Nov 2004
332 Posts
In addition to Grahams EDF plans, I also have a set of South Herts Models (http://www.southhertsmodels.co.uk/Vulcan.htm) plans and one or two other sport scale plans - one is a profile fuselage type that Chris Golds did a long way back. Can't remember which one the last plan is - or where it currently sits in the mountain of boxes

Up till now I've not had space to build the Vulcan, but as we moved from a flat into a large house this Easter I can now start looking at the project again. I have not yet decided which way to move forward. I do want to make it and EDF, and Grahams version is the only EDF ready plan - but then you have the issue of scale as well. When I do build it I also want to use if for F4H scale competitions, so the more true to the fullsize the better. The South Herts plans looks pretty good as well and are probably more scale than Grahams, but then I would have to modify it for EDF use.

I would be very interested to see what you come up with. I don't have the time or patience to start learning CAD so redrawing is not an option for me. Let me know if you're willing to sell a copy of your plan once it's done.

One idea I've had is to start of with a depron model to test on. Would make it simpler to build as well for EDF use since I could use smaller EDFs than a balsa build would allow. At the moment I'm not yet ready to start on this as there are a few other projects that I need to finish before. Hopefully I can start in it during the winter months.

I'll look forward to the rest of your build and I hope you find time to post a few bits and pieces.

- Thomas
thnilsen is offline Find More Posts by thnilsen
Old Aug 24, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
Might be worth your while to email falcon http://www.falcon-aviation.co.uk/search.php/Vulcan and enquire about a reduced size plan.It's an in- house design,I wouldn't be surprised if they've had similar requests.
Stuart
Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:15 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
They seem to do six different size Vulcans.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Aug 26, 2013, 01:10 AM
Griffith, Australia
Joined Oct 2009
20 Posts
From the falcon-aviation website. Would love to do a 10ft version!
VULCAN 10ft
VULCAN 20ft
Vulcan 68ins
VULCAN 7ft
Vulcan B2 60in
Vulcan BM MkII

I dont think i will take this path though. I really want the challenge of drawing it and producing a kit that connects together, so as to take the guess work out of it like there is in the kit i have.
Thomas, depending how this all turns out. I would love to sell you some plans or a kit down the track. I guess it depends on how long you will wait!

Anyway attached some pics of the edfs. They look too good to hide them in a airframe!
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Sep 2011
3,213 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=vulcan&page=9
A build following on from another of Terry's master classes.Well worth a read.The guys g/f is priceless.