HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:35 PM
Canada, ON, New Dundee
Joined Jul 2013
72 Posts
I am fairly new to airplane flying but I just picked up one of these radios with the 2 receivers on special this week. Tonight I binded to my new DHC 2 Beaver and adjusted all the surface throws and everything worked great and was simple to se up. I have run into one problem though....

For the life of me I cannot get the engine to engage. I've played with it and cannot find out where I am going wrong. I re-binded my TX600 and everything works so I know it is not in the airplane. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Blutck is online now Find More Posts by Blutck
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2013, 12:04 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Mar 2013
16 Posts
Just ordered this radio for CAD $139.99 from greathobbies.com up here in Canada, and it included 2 free receivers!

I've been debating between the Dx6i and the ttx650 for a little while now but that definitely sealed the deal! I've been using a computerless extremely old(late 70's maybe early 80's? my nieghbour said Jack Cousteau used the same model lol) JR for awhile now so I can't wait, finally I can control my servo travel!

Plus I noticed they had the Axe 100 CP SLT Tx-r heli for only $52.99 CAD(reg about 139.99 I think).

So for $223 CAD including shipping I have an Awesome new radio, 2 Receivers for my flite-test foamies and a new Cyclic Pitch micro Heli. Hobbyking can't even beat that, if you live here in Canada I'd jump on the deal soon, they only have 2 helis left.

I'll pop back on with a review of both, I'm a complete newb when it comes to computer radios so I guess we'll see if this is as beginner friendly as I've heard, The Tx and Heli were literally built for each-other so they should be pretty easy to set up... I hope lol
Brent85 is offline Find More Posts by Brent85
Last edited by Brent85; Jul 26, 2013 at 12:06 AM. Reason: grammatical error
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:13 AM
no discrimination, I crash all
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Nov 2011
273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutck View Post
I am fairly new to airplane flying but I just picked up one of these radios with the 2 receivers on special this week. Tonight I binded to my new DHC 2 Beaver and adjusted all the surface throws and everything worked great and was simple to se up. I have run into one problem though....

For the life of me I cannot get the engine to engage. I've played with it and cannot find out where I am going wrong. I re-binded my TX600 and everything works so I know it is not in the airplane. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Hi Scott,

The only two things I can think of are:

Channel 3 has to be reversed in radio(throttle channel, esc)

Some esc's have to be armed by moving throttle stick all the way full (you will hear 1 beep) then back to off throttle and you will get 2 beeps. Now the motor should run.

Hope this helps

Jason
ncsky is offline Find More Posts by ncsky
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:16 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutck View Post

Thanks,
Scott
Did you try reversing the throttle channel on the Tactic TTX650? That is channel 3.
Whenever working with the power system, or the radio system using the battery eliminator circuit (BEC), remove the prop.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jul 26, 2013, 08:31 AM
Canada, ON, New Dundee
Joined Jul 2013
72 Posts
On the LCD screen of the TX, you can see the throttle advance when you raise the stick. I'm not sure the motor is arming....
Old Jul 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
It will show the throttle moving, but the question is, is it moving in the correct way for the electronic speed control. You really need to reverse channel 3 and see what happens. Futaba AND Tactic need the throttle channel reversed for discrete ESCs.

Remember, take the prop off when working with the radio and power system.

Look at your TTX600. Is channel three reversed? If it is, you need to reverse channel 3 in your TTX650/
Old Jul 26, 2013, 05:00 PM
Canada, ON, New Dundee
Joined Jul 2013
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers View Post
It will show the throttle moving, but the question is, is it moving in the correct way for the electronic speed control. You really need to reverse channel 3 and see what happens. Futaba AND Tactic need the throttle channel reversed for discrete ESCs.

Remember, take the prop off when working with the radio and power system.

Look at your TTX600. Is channel three reversed? If it is, you need to reverse channel 3 in your TTX650/
That was it Ken. Thank you!

I actually didn't check in this afternoon to see your "channel 3" reply and ended up flipping through my manual for my TX600. In there they listed what each servo was for, and I figued it out from there.

Thanks again for your help.

Scott
Old Jul 28, 2013, 06:12 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
Glad you got it figured out Scott.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 04:59 PM
United States, WA, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eflyer 1 View Post
Ken,

sorry it took so long to reply but I still haven't swapped in a Known good 624 as I got sidetracked with other projects. But since I swapped in the Futaba S-FHSS R2106GF park flyer range RX in the Lanyu T-45 jet I've had no trouble, and as I posted earlier I have a full range S-FHSS RX in the Cessna and has been fine.

I'm fairly certain that the two 624's were failsafing because even after repositioning the antenna wire from horizontal to vertical the problem persisted, and on the second test flight the motor shut off on landing approach at low altitude (and when this happens I have no control at all) and the plane started straight down. After a second the motor came back on and I got control back and was able to land.

Also I fly at two different fields and had this happen at both so that rules out RF noise.

Still baffled but the TTX650 is a nice radio and will keep it and the price of the TX and RX's can't be beat.

Later all.
I bought my TTX650 a couple months ago and have been using it with two different tr624 receivers in two different foam airplanes. Both are failsafing two or three times per flight. It only happens for a second but it's very unnerving since I have never experienced this before with other tx/rx brands or other planes. It has happened at three different flying sites.

I'm debating on contacting Hobbico but the thing is, I purchased about 6 of these receivers. I'm hoping the other four don't do this!

By the way, I love this radio, with its easy programming and assignable switches.
Flying M is offline Find More Posts by Flying M
Last edited by Flying M; Jul 29, 2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 01:12 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
Not happy to hear about the failsafing.

I am happy to hear you did set up the failsafe. Many folks skip this very important step.

Contacting Hobby Services, that's who handles the service for Hobbico, is probably a very good idea.

Here's the contact page:
http://hobbyservices.com/contact.html
Last edited by Ken Myers; Aug 01, 2013 at 06:15 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Not happy to hear about the failsafing.

I am happy to hear you did set up the failsafe. Many folks skip this very important step.

Contacting Hobby Services, that's who handles the service for Hobbico, is probably a very good idea.

Here's the contact page:
http://hobbyservices.com/contact.html
Thanks for the link. I may contact them after I install a third rx in another plane. If all three receivers lose the signal like this I'll know that either there is a widespread problem with the tr624 receivers or my transmitter is bad.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:18 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
Do your planes allow for different receiver antenna orientation?
You might want to try that.
Does this happen when the motor is off? Just wondering if it might be the LVC of an ESC.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Oct 2010
9 Posts
Quote:
Do your planes allow for different receiver antenna orientation?
You might want to try that.
Does this happen when the motor is off? Just wondering if it might be the LVC of an ESC.
I've tried longitudinal, lateral, and vertical antenna placement. If the TR624 had a longer antenna I would run it through the side or top of the fuselage and tape it to the exterior.

I haven't determined if signal loss occurs when the motors are off. I suppose it's possible that two different ESCs are cutting out. I sure hope it's that because I want to be a Tactic guy and fill my 20 model memory!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for fewer/no problems with these and my other receivers during future flights.
Old Aug 01, 2013, 06:32 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
Just a suggestion. Put the Tactic TR624 in EDF when you can get someone to help you.

Do a full throttle range check from both sides and front and back while the plane is being secured by the helper. Be sure not to point the Tx antenna at the plane. Then do a range check with the helper holding the plane with the wings vertical so that you are checking top, bottom and again front and back. I'm not suggesting full throttle all the time, just when you are at the 100' distance as recommended in the manual. It might prove interesting.
Old Aug 03, 2013, 05:38 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,362 Posts
New Tactic TR625 with dual antennas.

New Tactic TR625 with dual antennas.
http://www.tacticrc.com/receivers/index.html
Last edited by Ken Myers; Aug 03, 2013 at 05:45 AM. Reason: wanted to title post