Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by cactus, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Build Log
FPV mQX

I was inspired by those of you who have made an FPV platform out of your mQX so I wanted to try my own version for around the house and yard. My goals where:
1. Minimal net gain in weight so it fly's like stock
2. Descent object penetration and indoor performance
3. Good quality video
4. Utilize my existing 1280 MHz ground station

To achieve the first goal I had to kind of go outside the box a bit. While I carefully weighed the frame, lipo and canopy I noticed the canopy weighed nearly 6 grams. I knew ditching this was a good place to start. I built a lightweight frame to mount the FPV gear out of balsa wood and this added about 1 gram to the bare frame weight. The components I picked to use where:
- V9 Sub-micro Color Camera 3g 520 lines NTSC 5v
- RC-CAM 50mw 1280 Tx
- Pololu 5V Step-Up/Step-Down Voltage Regulator S7V7F5
- Parkzone Vapor 1S 70mah Lipo

I wired these up and removed most of the extra wire and bulky connectors and put it on my scale and it weighed just over 9 grams. Tested video and adjusted the camera focus as best I could, then mounted it on the mQx custom balsa mount.

Stock weight: 78 grams.
FPV configuration: 82.7 grams.

I did a test flight outputting the video to an old TV, then did some hovering with the goggles on and it fly great. I did not notice the extra 4 grams, same performance and duration as before. What a blast! I will record some video the next time I fly it and test my range in the front yard, but so far I feel I meet all my goals!
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Last edited by cactus; Apr 17, 2013 at 09:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Changes...

So after a few flights I noticed I was having issues with the video going out after just five minutes of flight. I took a voltage reading from the little 70mah pack and it had gone below 3V so the step up was struggling to get 5V to the regulator and it lost freq lock and the picture was going out.

A decided to try tapping directly off the main Hyperion 550 25C lipo that is powering the quad and see if the interference was bad or not. I soldered an UMX lead off the main battery and ran it through a tiny torrid ring for about 4-5 wraps then to the regulator. I powered everything on and checked the video and it was perfect. I then did a ground test with the quad in a hover and I did not have any interference in the video! I test flew it in the basement and flew a 9 minute flight with perfect video the whole time and I checked the pack after landing and it was reading 3.75 v.

So now I have a simple one battery setup like my bigger quad! There was little change in the weight as I had to add the little torrid and the extra wiring, so I only dropped a 1/2 gram off my battery setup.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
First Outdoor Flight Test

mQX Front Yard FPV (3 min 12 sec)
Old Apr 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,435 Posts
That's the coolest use of an mQX I've seen yet!

What are you using for goggles?
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:20 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
There are no known 1.3ghz Rx modules for FatSharks, so I have to use my regular ground station on a tripod and Base or Dominator goggles via the cable or relay. I could go 5.8 and then just use the Dominator 5.8 RX module, but I wanted the object penetration power of 1280!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:00 AM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
What kind of distants are u getting with the vtx I have been looking at one for a small plane
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:25 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I have yet to have the picture go out while flying, but I would not fly a 2.4ghz micro 2.4 very far anyway. If the wind would ever die down I could find out!
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:42 AM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
I'm with u on the wind it sux here too. Let ne know on the range. What camera are u using
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free
Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:11 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
The camera link is in the first post. I just ordered another one along with a 10 mw 5.8ghz Tx I would like to put on a nano quad like the Hubsan x4.
Old May 08, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Update

I love this setup. It gets flown every week at least a few flights.
Old May 09, 2013, 01:56 PM
▲▼▲▼≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣≣ ≣≣≣≣≣ ▼▲▼▲
United States, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Mar 2010
695 Posts
Great, low-weight set-up

I am also working on micro FVP set-up on MqX, but my quad weighs whooping 110 gms ... I am using same 10mw 5.8ghz vTX as yours with cloverleaf antenna with a separate 1S Lipo... I get decent flight during the first 2-3 minutes, but then the quad struggles to hoover... also the location of the clover leaf creates the swaying/pendulum affect during rudder turns... I need to shred some weight !

Please do share your pictures with the 10mw 5.8 ghz TX... set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
The camera link is in the first post. I just ordered another one along with a 10 mw 5.8ghz Tx I would like to put on a nano quad like the Hubsan x4.
IndiaHobby is offline Find More Posts by IndiaHobby
Old May 09, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
The vTx on the mQx is the 50mw 1280mhz one with dipole antenna. My ladybird v2 has 5.8ghz video.
Old May 09, 2013, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaHobby View Post
Great, low-weight set-up

I am also working on micro FVP set-up on MqX, but my quad weighs whooping 110 gms ... I am using same 10mw 5.8ghz vTX as yours with cloverleaf antenna with a separate 1S Lipo... I get decent flight during the first 2-3 minutes, but then the quad struggles to hoover... also the location of the clover leaf creates the swaying/pendulum affect during rudder turns... I need to shred some weight !

Please do share your pictures with the 10mw 5.8 ghz TX... set-up
I notice a couple of things that are contributing to your weight. You are using sma connectors on the vtx to antenna connection and that is dead weight. Should look into soldering the antenna right to the board. Also consider tapping power off the main flight battery and use a voltage regulator to power your video gear and ditch the second battery. I run a single battery setup on both my FPV micro and nano quads with great success.
Old May 09, 2013, 04:31 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Your camera looks a little big too.
Old May 09, 2013, 04:33 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelflier8036 View Post
What kind of distants are u getting with the vtx I have been looking at one for a small plane
I have flown this to the end of the street from my front yard and its about 350ft. I still had great video using the 1280 crosshair Rx antenna and I think I could go further if my control link holds up.