SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:28 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Cool
My SB-1 Arrived Today !

Well, less than a week after I placed the order and all the way from Scotland to Australia !

I can see why some online Hobby Stores are charging 100's of dollars for shipping.

The parcel is huge and weighs about 20kg !

Haven't opened it yet. It's sitting hidden in my ute (where the missus can't see it).

Lucky for me, I was able to meet the UPS courier at the garage door before she noticed !

Can't wait till later tonight when I'll creep out to the garage and open it !
BieneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by BieneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 08:22 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Well,,,, did you open it?? what do you think?
shaneperch is offline Find More Posts by shaneperch
Old May 04, 2013, 08:54 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Hi Shane!

Yes, I have it opened up and have had it the bath & local lake a couple of times.

It is so well made. Worth every penny. I'm just waiting for another opportunity to try it out in some clearer water. The local lake is a bit murky.

When I get round to it, I'll add a camera & some lighting. Still trying to come up with a method of using a tethered bouy to send the video back to shore.

Will probably paint it white or something soon. The yellow is a bit toy'ish looking.

So far, its an awesome bit of kit. Great way to learn the workings of subs too !

Cheers,

BF
Old May 04, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Yes I painted one in white with red trim. Kinda followed Alvin colors. If I repaint it I may paint it fluorescent lime or something. but I like the white.
Old May 04, 2013, 10:28 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Or I was thinking of metallic red if I change the white paint job. I think metallic red would look cool.
Old May 04, 2013, 11:03 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneperch View Post
Or I was thinking of metallic red if I change the white paint job. I think metallic red would look cool.
Hey Shane,

I have the perfect idea for my SB-1 colour scheme copied from the Air Hogs Sub.

White for the upper hull, grey below the waterline with orange on the propellor nascelle.

Or the grey with red trim like the other Air Hogs sub looks cool too !

Trouble is, I am totally hopeless with a spray gun so it will probably remain yellow for a while. I have even thought of taking all the plastic bits to my local spray shop to get them done properly.

Any idea what paints work best with ABS plastic ?
Old May 04, 2013, 11:53 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Hey guys,

SB-1 group is back up if anyone interested.

Here; http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/SB-1
Old May 05, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
I went to Walmart and found the fusion spray paint for plastics work very well. that is what I used and it didn't peal or wrinkle. For the metallic paints I may go with I may get that at the local hobby shop. For your colors grey white and orange you can get the fusion spray paint and that should work fine for the ABS outer hull. I have had white on mine for three years and still looks fresh
Old May 05, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
I joined the group let's make it successful for Neptune owners and research subs
Old May 05, 2013, 08:25 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Yes, seems to have gone quiet.

There must be a lot more SB-1 owners around ?
Old May 05, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
They are popular been in production now for 5 years!!! I can't believe that my white one is almost 4 years old!!!! they are still selling and they are still being made. I thought by now they would be either replaced by a cheezier model or discontinued. I am surprised that TT hasn't come out with an SB-2 or something.
Old May 06, 2013, 02:12 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
I was wondering if I'd joined the SB-1 party a little late. Looks like most of the action on here was back in 2009/10 ?

Still, I'm really glad I picked one up. Such a refreshing change from planes & heli's.

I think Thunder Tiger would do well with a SB-2. Maybe based on a scale sub but using the guts from the SB-1 ?

I'd be first in the que for that !
Old May 06, 2013, 07:46 AM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
I keep looking at TT to see if they have something new. Not so far. I don't know why the lack of interest. I hope it grows. I like nuke subs and I have seen some that are really awesome. But I would like to see more interest in research type subs. Like a Mir one or Mir two. The hulls from the Neptune may fit the scale of those. But the Neptune is too fat and short to make a scale nuke sub I bet. But making a Mir or the French research sub for get the name. Or the Japanese one. they all look the same. TT could make all of them with the same hull and if you're crazy try to collect them all
Old May 06, 2013, 08:23 PM
Australia
Joined Mar 2013
642 Posts
Talking of research subs, I like the look of that SRV-1 (Mike's Subworks).

Might be next on my list.
Old May 06, 2013, 09:10 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Yes it is an ingenious design!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it will teach you how to properly build a sub out of drain pipe. And how to build a vectored steered submarine. The only problem is that there are no clear directions on servo tray layout. but it is ingenious in it's design. Also the owner of Dry Dock Products is a hell of a nice guy. there is a new one out called the SRV-2 and it is even cooler.