HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2013, 09:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Discussion
Dji Phantom Frame Swap to tarot 650

I have a bent Phantom frame , im fed up with no DJI replacement parts or shells for Phantom , So i swapped put the Phantom board to a Tarot Iron man 650 carbon Quad frame replaced ESC's with dji30amp , and also replaced motors with T-Motor 2216 900kv , im running 10x3.8 apc props , I cut 2 inches off quad arms , add'd flexseal to mask carbon fiber interference.. Was quite easy to build only problem is the bare Phantom GPS is tough to mount in proper position and mask interference as well.. next step will be to add Naza GPS antenna instead of Phantoms Antenna and compass , i much happier with the results so far than the Phanoms much better filming platform with batter i have 500+ gram open weight and minimal to no jello @ 2.7 24fps on hero

DJI Phantom / Tarot GoPro Hero3 HD 2,7k Jello test No Gimbal (3 min 36 sec)
Birds Eye is offline Find More Posts by Birds Eye
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:21 PM
Pointy end up.
Canada, ON, Tobermory
Joined Feb 2013
132 Posts
Looks good!

Nice to know at least there is a solution that seems like a good port of most of a phantom to something else. Do you know your finished weight without battery but with cam/case? You mention 500 grams payload capability...which is intriguing.
jamesdrone is offline Find More Posts by jamesdrone
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
About 1250grms with batt
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:41 PM
Helena, MT
Joined Feb 2003
2,916 Posts
Is there any advantage to this for someone who does not own a Phantom?
LTChip is offline Find More Posts by LTChip
Old Apr 17, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
All depends on what you want o use your multirotor for, if you want to lift more weight than the phantom can carry this is 1 of your options..
Old Apr 18, 2013, 10:47 AM
United States, CO, Steamboat Springs
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Nice work!

Hey Birds Eye,

I'm considering a similar project... Did you consider the F450 frame? What was your reasoning behind cutting 2" off of the arms? Have there been any downsides to the conversion?

Thanks!
Swyft is offline Find More Posts by Swyft
Old Apr 18, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swyft View Post
Hey Birds Eye,

I'm considering a similar project... Did you consider the F450 frame? What was your reasoning behind cutting 2" off of the arms? Have there been any downsides to the conversion?

Thanks!
i was hoping to make a quad thats still somewhat small and nimble , strong and could lift more than phantom , and had other options as far as mounting gimbals and fpv ect larger props , Your some what limited with the Phantom and the ridged frame makes it tough to totally remove jello.. after you add fpv gimbals and battery you pretty much limited to using a GoPro only ... id like to grow in to something instead of grow out of it right away... Phantom is great if your not gearing your flying towards filming or photography in mind.. i grew out of mine fast , crash influenced also LOL
Old Apr 23, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, IL, Cowden
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds Eye View Post
add'd flexseal to mask carbon fiber interference.. Was quite easy to build only problem is the bare Phantom GPS is tough to mount in proper position and mask interference as well.. next step will be to add Naza GPS antenna instead of Phantoms Antenna and compass
Due to a stock ESC failure and end result of crash and broken/tweaked shell, I, too, have decided to do a similar swap. I've elected to go with a F450, 30A ESC's and Red DJI motor's(Tiger MN2214 Kv920 will be on order soon). For the landing gear, I've chose this: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/atg-unive...exacopter.html.

Any updates on how your "naked" stock GPS/Compass is mounted? Any shielding, too? The mount I've chose is carbon fiber. What, if any, shielding do I nee to do? What is Flexseal?
RDTague is offline Find More Posts by RDTague
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, CO, Steamboat Springs
Joined Mar 2013
84 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the info Birds Eye, those are valid points!

Swyft is offline Find More Posts by Swyft
Old Apr 24, 2013, 08:11 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTague View Post
Due to a stock ESC failure and end result of crash and broken/tweaked shell, I, too, have decided to do a similar swap. I've elected to go with a F450, 30A ESC's and Red DJI motor's(Tiger MN2214 Kv920 will be on order soon). For the landing gear, I've chose this: http://www.goodluckbuy.com/atg-unive...exacopter.html.

Any updates on how your "naked" stock GPS/Compass is mounted? Any shielding, too? The mount I've chose is carbon fiber. What, if any, shielding do I nee to do? What is Flexseal?
your gonna have a killer set up..

the GPS is the tough part its needs to be shielded on its back side , the backing tape that held it in Phantom is copper shielded , i tried to use some of it on back , worked ok but there was a little still drift , im gonna add a DJI GPS antenna see if that any better..
Old Apr 24, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:

the GPS is the tough part its needs to be shielded on its back side , the backing tape that held it in Phantom is copper shielded , i tried to use some of it on back , worked ok but there was a little still drift , im gonna add a DJI GPS antenna see if that any better..
You put it on the "back"...meaning the side of the little plastic square (which was the top on the Phantom) or the side of the solder joints (which was on the bottom on the Phantom)?

Is there another material that will shield it? What am I'm shielding it from...the rest of the electronics on the 'copter? If so, what about putting the GPS on a mast and adding a plastic half shell over board, naza and Rx and lining it with something...like the gray stuff on the inside of the phantom top shell.

I have a GPS mast pole, made of aluminum, that I'll use to mount mine on...along with a folding antenna base, so I can fold it down to fit in my hard case for transport.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Name: Tarot 650.jpg
Views: 647
Size: 197.0 KB
Description:
Old May 12, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
I have a bent Phantom frame , im fed up with no DJI replacement parts or shells for Phantom , So i swapped put the Phantom board to a Tarot Iron man 650 carbon Quad frame replaced ESC's with dji30amp ,
Birds eye: Might I ask why you mounted the ESC's on the main frame, rather than flat section of the motor mounts? Not discriminating...Just asking?
Old May 12, 2013, 09:40 PM
Joined Mar 2013
1,584 Posts
Quote:
All done.

Stock F450 (ESC's, motor's, 1038 props)
Carbon Fiber Anit-vib landing gear
fpvpilot gimbal
Hero3 Black
ImmersionRC 5.8ghz fpv
AUW = 1750g

Old May 18, 2013, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDTague View Post
Birds eye: Might I ask why you mounted the ESC's on the main frame, rather than flat section of the motor mounts? Not discriminating...Just asking?
To help center weight and i didnt care for the looks of the white ESC's on the arms , like the arms looking clean and black ,
Last edited by Birds Eye; May 18, 2013 at 11:19 PM.