HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2008
70 Posts
Discussion
Wing Construction

Hello Everyone,

I am need of some help on designing a 8ft wing. I have the bottom section of the wing cut out already out of 3/4" blue foam. Im stuck on how to construct the airfoil. Not sure if gluing multiple sheets together will work and use a hot wire cutter to cut out airfoil will be better or to create a rib & spar method wing. Its going on a cub, however I would like to have the wing as tough as possible but also as light as possible (I know you can get both but looking for a happy medium). Also if I do the rib & spar method what is best to cover the wing with?

ANY help will be greatly appreciated as I already have rest of plane cut out.
computerman021 is offline Find More Posts by computerman021
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2013, 01:36 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Have you considered using strips of foam/spars along the span like the armin wing and glueing the top panels on to get a rough shape then cut/sand to finish it. You could have the strength and being somewhat hollow run your servo wires inside it. You should have the strength span wise but it wont be as strong chord wise as a laminated wing. If doing it that way i would only make the wing that way and laminate you ailerons/flaps to match the profile of the wing.
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:57 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,197 Posts
How about some more information, such as what type of wing, what sort of stresses is it likely to get, (gentle cruising - full aerobatics). ?
What wing section do you require, just a flat bottomed, curved top, or a genuine named airfoil. ?
What other foam do you have/want to use for the top ?
What sort of spar material are you using ?
Do you want to hot-wire cut an airfoil, or just build up a basic shape ?

The more information the easier it is to give some suggestions.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:06 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,197 Posts
Ah!, I just spotted this thread -

8ft Wing for a cub

You could have added another post.

You want to build a near 1/4 scale Cub and not sure how to build the wing.
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:34 AM
Joined Feb 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
How about some more information, such as what type of wing, what sort of stresses is it likely to get, (gentle cruising - full aerobatics). ?
What wing section do you require, just a flat bottomed, curved top, or a genuine named airfoil. ?
What other foam do you have/want to use for the top ?
What sort of spar material are you using ?
Do you want to hot-wire cut an airfoil, or just build up a basic shape ?

The more information the easier it is to give some suggestions.
Thanks for the reply. I'm thinking of something more gentle maybe at most a loop or roll. As far as a wing section only thing I have done is the bottom section of wing. I'm am open to any ideas on whatever you guys think is best. Your right this is my first "giant" scale build. I took the measurements from the HZ Super Cub and doubled them. I would like to keep the weight and price down as much as possible. I think it would be nice to have the wing be mostly self supported with out the use of struts however I will have them but don't wont wing dependent on them. As far as foam I have access to all types but really prefer blue foam or $1 foam. FFF won't be bad but its pretty expensive. However I do know it has the words aviation and hobby in it so its to be expected.

So to sum it up I'm open to anything that y'all suggest.

Thanks
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:47 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
496 Posts
Easiest Way

I'd say just scale up a KF wing plan.

Quick, Easy, Efficient and comments about this style wing are nothing but good
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:50 PM
Joined Feb 2008
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcaffeldt View Post
I'd say just scale up a KF wing plan.

Quick, Easy, Efficient and comments about this style wing are nothing but good
But would the wing be strong enough to almost self supporting? When you deal with something so long there is alot more stress (is that correct)? I guess it depends on how you do the wing loading? But having such a long wing it has more leverage to bend and bow.

But if you think it would work then I am all for it!
Old Apr 15, 2013, 12:44 AM
Arizona Rim Country
Joined Nov 2001
496 Posts
Wing Strength

Whether you hot wire a wing or build it KF style the strength will be in the wing spar not the foam that creates the wing. Maybe look at the Giant Electric Forum here in RC Groups to see how they make wings in the size you are considering.
pcaffeldt is offline Find More Posts by pcaffeldt
Old Apr 15, 2013, 01:39 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,290 Posts
However you make it the spars and joiners are going to be critical.Have a look at Joels method-
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1853555&page=3
Ok I know it's a bird,same principles apply.Maybe a 3 section with a longer centre?.
I've read of guys using Walmart telescopic fishing poles,should keep your costs down.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46