HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old May 16, 2013, 05:43 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
142 Posts
Evvaldis - Tom and I plan on starting working on your software this weekend, hopefully KEIL is as easy to setup as you say it is (I just downloaded it, haven't installed yet).

One thing I'm interested in is switching over to a cross-platform compiler. KEIL is Windows only, and I use a MacBook Pro primarily. I have a desktop with Win7 on it, and my work laptop is Win7, doubt they want me using it for personal software development, though... I could install some virtual machine on OSX but I'd rather just get compilation using GCC via command line or Eclipse going. I'll look into creating a makefile but I basically have no idea what I'm doing in that area.

Any plans to switch off of KEIL and onto something more powerful? Even Eclipse would be better...
wooden is offline Find More Posts by wooden
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2013, 12:25 AM
Lithuania
Joined Jan 2007
179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wooden View Post
Evvaldis - Tom and I plan on starting working on your software this weekend, hopefully KEIL is as easy to setup as you say it is (I just downloaded it, haven't installed yet).

One thing I'm interested in is switching over to a cross-platform compiler. KEIL is Windows only, and I use a MacBook Pro primarily. I have a desktop with Win7 on it, and my work laptop is Win7, doubt they want me using it for personal software development, though... I could install some virtual machine on OSX but I'd rather just get compilation using GCC via command line or Eclipse going. I'll look into creating a makefile but I basically have no idea what I'm doing in that area.

Any plans to switch off of KEIL and onto something more powerful? Even Eclipse would be better...
Hi.

I have chosen KEIL because it is simple to use, simple to setup and it is really powerful. Biggest downside of KEIL is that it is commercial, and demo is up to 32KB.
There is CooCox IDE, it is free ARM developing tool based on Eclipse. Not sure if it works on mac.
I know that keil is not the best choice, but it does its job and works out of the box..
Also know that my code is messy, and after releasing FW v0.3 (which has RC control, autopan features, new GUI) I am planing to show my code to friends which are programmers to make code more readable
evvaldis is offline Find More Posts by evvaldis
Old May 17, 2013, 02:59 PM
Colombia, Bogota
Joined Nov 2010
51 Posts
board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frisch View Post
I just got my boards in the mail, I've got at least 4 that are unspoken for, if you'd like one PM me. $12US including US postage.

Attachment 5783983

-Tom
you receibe paypal
cofhal is offline Find More Posts by cofhal
Old May 17, 2013, 04:07 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
All my extra boards are now sold, thanks everyone.

-Tom
Tom Frisch is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frisch
Old May 17, 2013, 04:15 PM
United States, CA, Olympic Valley
Joined Feb 2013
256 Posts
Quote:
All my extra boards are now sold, thanks everyone.

-Tom
Thanks for the boards Tom!

I used sandsquid yesterday to source all of the fun stuff...pretty slick website that sandsquid is! Probably saved me 2 hrs looking up each component by itself.

Can't wait to have some fun with this project.
STMPNGRND is offline Find More Posts by STMPNGRND
Old May 18, 2013, 04:52 AM
Joined Dec 2007
574 Posts
Hi guys,

Been following this thread with some anicipation

Thing is, I'm a complete electronics retard, however quite good at mechanical design etc. would anyone who's picked up a couple of these boards be willing to send/sell me a complete populated pcb that I can then put into test on a variety of gimbal rigs?

Cheers
Ed
ed_jza80 is offline Find More Posts by ed_jza80
Old May 18, 2013, 06:40 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Evvaldis, or anyone who has Altium (even the free viewer)- can someone please post a PDF or image of which components go where when soldering the board?

I'm assuming if I could open the v1.2 files in Altium Free viewer I could see this info, but I haven't been able to get an Altium account yet, thus I don't have access to even the free viewer.

I was hoping to start soldering today, but am kinda stuck- starting from the schematic is proving to be a bit too complex for me.

EDIT: I found a link to download the free altium designer: http://altium-designer-viewer-editio.../8.4/download/

Am populating 2 boards now.

-Tom
Last edited by Tom Frisch; May 18, 2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old May 18, 2013, 08:15 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Ran into a small problem- the crystal SMD chip has one pin that has a chamfer on it- according to the datasheet that is pin 1. Is that the pin that aligns with the dot on the PCB?

-Tom
Old May 19, 2013, 12:50 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
Generally yes
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Old May 19, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Ran into a small problem- the crystal SMD chip has one pin that has a chamfer on it- according to the datasheet that is pin 1. Is that the pin that aligns with the dot on the PCB?

-Tom
Did you get some solder paste? Are you going to try the hotplate reflow technique, i saw another video where they did it in a toaster oven
natious is offline Find More Posts by natious
Old May 20, 2013, 12:28 AM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Thanks Timecop.

Natious- yes, I'm using zephpaste http://www.zeph.com/zephpaste.htm and a hotplate. I've made about 10 boards over the past few years with this technique, and it works well. Today I populated 2 boards, and soldered them. One needs some fixing as the STM chip is just a bit mis-aligned. I will use a small block of aluminum to transfer the heat of the hotplate to an area under the chip to make the repair. Then I'll use solder wick to remove the inevitable solder bridges.

I then need to hand solder the 2 resistors and eprom on the bottom of the board, hopefully that won't be too difficult.

-Tom
Old May 20, 2013, 02:16 AM
Joined Apr 2013
91 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Timecop.

Natious- yes, I'm using zephpaste http://www.zeph.com/zephpaste.htm and a hotplate. I've made about 10 boards over the past few years with this technique, and it works well. Today I populated 2 boards, and soldered them. One needs some fixing as the STM chip is just a bit mis-aligned. I will use a small block of aluminum to transfer the heat of the hotplate to an area under the chip to make the repair. Then I'll use solder wick to remove the inevitable solder bridges.

I then need to hand solder the 2 resistors and eprom on the bottom of the board, hopefully that won't be too difficult.

-Tom
Excellent man! All my components came today, still waiting for my boards.

Post some pictures of how they look, what frame will you be testing on? Im currently building my own, waiting for the last of the parts to come from china
natious is offline Find More Posts by natious
Old May 20, 2013, 02:48 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
142 Posts
Got the software building in Keil on a virtual win7 machine - are you converting the hex to a binary before loading it to the STM32F1? Looking forward to messing with this once I grab my board from Tom Frisch.

Also spent some time trying to get it compiling in Eclipse on OSX, getting lots of errors probably related to things just not being included right. Will look into this more when I have time.
wooden is offline Find More Posts by wooden
Old May 20, 2013, 11:47 PM
Portland, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2010
268 Posts
Made some progress, but hit some walls today, am hoping someone can help.

We shorted Boot0 and 3.3v to enter DFU mode
We attached a 3S battery to the board, since 5V from USB isn't connected.
We powered it up, the green LED was blinking while the short was in place, but when we removed the short, the LED went out.

We then re-attached the short, and power cycled the battery connection.
After a few seconds 2 of the MOSFETS on Roll axis blew.

There were no solder bridges that we could see, and as far as I know all the parts were installed correctly.

Not sure what we were doing wrong, any thoughts? The were definitely no solder bridges.

note- the large brown cap has a line on it- I initially thought that was to point towards the dot on the PCB, but wooden showed me the error of my ways.

-Tom
Old May 21, 2013, 12:25 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2010
11,764 Posts
I'd say the F103 is mounted backwards (pin1 is bottom left of the writing)
timecop is offline Find More Posts by timecop
Closed Thread