Closed Thread
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:06 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcavedagne View Post
HATED THE BOARD!

Bought one, paid 58b bucks on the board + 39$ of shipping and more 100$ of taxes from my country. Expected to have the board working flawlessly.... BUT, instead i got a simple board that to make it work, you have to add Resistors, remove stuff, make A LOT of things to make it live.... DON'T RECOMMED ANYONE TO BUY IT!
I'm not sure what to tell you - 5 posts total on RCG and this is the only one that showed up here in this forum... Sorry for your challenges, I know I have posted a number of times as it relates to this board (remember it's only a few months old) that it *isn't* for everyone, isn't fully tested, *is* in an active state of development etc.

AND we have identified many issues in the first versions and incrementally corrected them. Perhaps had you spent some time asking questions prior to all your $$$ and challenges, you would have learned all the above without spending the $$$'s..

If you are just looking for a simple 2 axis controller, yup, this one isn't for you... And most of us will tell you that up front.

Sorry for your problems. Not sure were you bought it, but good luck with the refund.... This is an open source design so lots of people could build a version and with 3 different versions out there it's hard to know what you are getting... If you bought it from the source as identified in the original post, it should have come with the additional resistors, known to work firmware, etc. If you didn't all bets are off... it's the joy of open source... unless you make your own.
aadamson is offline Find More Posts by aadamson
Last edited by aadamson; Aug 12, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
Lpcavedagne
Joined Apr 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aadamson View Post
I'm not sure what to tell you - 5 posts total on RCG and this is the only one that showed up here in this forum... Sorry for your challenges, I know I have posted a number of times as it relates to this board (remember it's only a few months old) that it *isn't* for everyone, isn't fully tested, *is* in an active state of development etc.

AND we have identified many issues in the first versions and incrementally corrected them. Perhaps had you spent some time asking questions prior to all your $$$ and challenges, you would have learned all the above without spending the $$$'s..

If you are just looking for a simple 2 axis controller, yup, this one isn't for you... And most of us will tell you that up front.

Sorry for your problems.
I was trying to get a HandHeld gimbal. Why can't you guys make the USB port work? it will be much easier. Eventhough, i'm still unsatisfied with the board.
lpcavedagne is offline Find More Posts by lpcavedagne
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:13 PM
Joined Jun 2013
136 Posts
Quote:
What I get for typing too fast, then correcting my post but missing a major part.

The gyro is configured for 2000 deg/sec, the internal adc is 16 bit. In the software the 0.3a-g versions were set to scale to 8000 and that value should have been 8192 given the rest of the configuration of the gyro, etc.

if I do my math right... 2000 d/sec is 16.4 d/sec per LSB (this from the datasheet).... so 16bits is 65536/16 (can't do fractions in binary) is 4096 and we need the +/- version for a resolution of 8192.

Alan
0x08 is written to the GYRO_CONFIG register therefore 1 is written to FS_SEL making a 500 LSB/deg/sec then surely to convert to rad/sec the

gyro_data=gyro_data/(65.5*180/pi) or 3752?

16 bit is 2s compliment so its actually +-32768 which when divided by the resolution is what gives you the values shown on the datasheet(131,65.3 etc).

I will give it a test at work tomorrow and see if get better results.
PaulPhill is offline Find More Posts by PaulPhill
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulPhill View Post
0x08 is written to the GYRO_CONFIG register therefore 1 is written to FS_SEL making a 500 LSB/deg/sec then surely to convert to rad/sec the

gyro_data=gyro_data/(65.5*180/pi) or 3752?

16 bit is 2s compliment so its actually +-32768 which when divided by the resolution is what gives you the values shown on the datasheet(131,65.3 etc).

I will give it a test at work tomorrow and see if get better results.
Paul,

Just ignore me... My brain is really not screwed on/in right today... I just know that the value should be 8192 in the the 0.3a-g source and is in the version we are testing and it works... I'll figure out the math later...

... Alan
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Jun 2013
136 Posts
Quote:
Paul,

Just ignore me... My brain is really not screwed on/in right today... I just know that the value should be 8192 in the the 0.3a-g source and is in the version we are testing and it works... I'll figure out the math later...

... Alan
Thanks Alan,

It does work and I am able to get very good results when stabalising the gimbal. The problems begin when trying to control the actual orientation. Perhaps the adapting the dt will solve the problem. I am also following the way it is done in the martinez software as well as other resources.

Anyway. I will look into it further.
PaulPhill is offline Find More Posts by PaulPhill
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:29 PM
Qick'nDirtySolutionExpert
Germany, BY, Bobingen
Joined Mar 2013
61 Posts
short news:
4S, 1.5amps per motor(GBM5206)

Overtuner is offline Find More Posts by Overtuner
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:30 PM
South Africa, GP, Kempton Park
Joined Aug 2013
6 Posts
Hi evvaldis
Good Day from South Africa can you tel my if i can use the EVVGC Board on the Simplebgc gui what wil i need to do too get it working on the gui 2.1 and will 2.1hex files also work on the EVVGC board.

Thanks Aerial Robot
Aerial robot is offline Find More Posts by Aerial robot
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial robot View Post
Hi evvaldis
Good Day from South Africa can you tel my if i can use the EVVGC Board on the Simplebgc gui what wil i need to do too get it working on the gui 2.1 and will 2.1hex files also work on the EVVGC board.

Thanks Aerial Robot
no, that firmware or gui will not work on the EvvGC. Those boards run 8 bit AVR microcontrollers and this uses a 32 bit Cortex-M3 processor... the 2 are not firmware compatible by any means and the GUI's use a different ascii protocol I'm quite sure.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtuner View Post
short news:
4S, 1.5amps per motor(GBM5206)

Does the code run with those parts? I would expect that 3v3 trying to drive those parts doesn't do so well unless they are expecting a 3v3 input?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:16 PM
Germany, BY, Bobingen
Joined Mar 2013
61 Posts
Quote:
Does the code run with those parts? I would expect that 3v3 trying to drive those parts doesn't do so well unless they are expecting a 3v3 input?
sorry, alan.
didn't understand your question - you seen the picture I attached?
Old Aug 12, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overtuner View Post
sorry, alan.
didn't understand your question - you seen the picture I attached?
yeah, saw it... just curious if the default code runs those ok? I don't know what part they are, but if a 5v part, I'd doubt that 3v3 from the PWM (max voltage) at 100% pwm is going to drive them hard enough?

If they are a low voltage/current input, but switch high voltage, then they might work?

Just curious if you are seeing 1.5A or if that is the specification and you are seeing less. We had this discussion back on the 2.0 board kick off around how much input to output a 3v3 processor can drive unless the parts it's driving are 3v3 inputs..

Hope that makes sense?

Alan
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:06 PM
Germany, BY, Bobingen
Joined Mar 2013
61 Posts
ok.
the TO220 parts on my last try are the same parts as before the SOIC-8: TC4452 - now with better cooling possibility.

and, yes they are drives directly by 3v3 level, all the Fet-Level circuitry is ready inside.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Apr 2013
4 Posts
EvvGC 3/2 axis Brushless Gimbal - Final (1 min 30 sec)
very sad ((
YAW is not controlled with the remote
denisburkin is offline Find More Posts by denisburkin
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:25 PM
United States, AL, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2013
47 Posts
Hi Alan,

Is it possible to post some simple block diagram overview and explanation of how the ARM code works? Things like how the gyro is polled, how the motor signals are derived, how the main loop is configured, etc. This sure would help someone just jumping in to avoid having to unravel the unstructured spaghetti code.

Thanks,
Tony
tmarone is offline Find More Posts by tmarone
Old Aug 12, 2013, 06:52 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarone View Post
Hi Alan,

Is it possible to post some simple block diagram overview and explanation of how the ARM code works? Things like how the gyro is polled, how the motor signals are derived, how the main loop is configured, etc. This sure would help someone just jumping in to avoid having to unravel the unstructured spaghetti code.

Thanks,
Tony
Tony, that will be much easier with the restructured version than the current version.. Ala42 has done a bit of moving things around, but the code started as one monolithic file and has just been broken up so it's still a bit hard to follow.

Hang tight, let us get the current code cleaned up to the point where it's configured correctly and we'll then start some restructuring and that should help a great deal.

Alan
Closed Thread