HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Phantom Flyaway?
Yes I have, and I never got it back. 119 15.54%
Yes I have, but I managed to recover it. 122 15.93%
No, I have not. 525 68.54%
Voters: 766. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
gnolivos's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
I don't know your results
I don't know if you have contacted your Dealer
I do no you have not taken me up on my offer.
This is all starting to look like TROLLING
Please. I have NEVER said I've experienced a flyaway. And like I said if you click in the poll you can see each individual's answers. My answer was NOT experienced Flyaways.

I'm sorry you feel I'm trolling. I feel you are not paying attention!
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:37 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,745 Posts
I agree Ed. But as you say, it's good news for everyone but the ones that lost their copter.

I continue to reexamine why mine throttled up as it did. I still think it was just plain defective, but I also think there may have been 2.4 GHz interference nearby.

Like a wireless security camera, and heavy atmosphere of wi fi routers.

But I still can't be sure, because I see the Phantom flying indoors at NAB in Las Vegas (your territory), and there had to be so much wi fi interference there.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:41 PM
Registered User
gnolivos's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
Naysayers wanted a poll ; now the poll is in place and naysayers discredit.

(Throws hands up in the air- gives up)
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:48 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
I agree Ed. But as you say, it's good news for everyone but the ones that lost their copter.

I continue to reexamine why mine throttled up as it did. I still think it was just plain defective, but I also think there may have been 2.4 GHz interference nearby.

Like a wireless security camera, and heavy atmosphere of wi fi routers.

But I still can't be sure, because I see the Phantom flying indoors at NAB in Las Vegas (your territory), and there had to be so much wi fi interference there.

- - david
David your are correct at NAB. A lot of flying in ATTI mode. No issues.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:48 PM
Quadtard
Breezemont's Avatar
United States, CO, Gilcrest
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
itf 20% flew away out of the thousands sold why did only 10 people respond???
Do you honestly think all of the people who bought Phantoms read this thread that has been up a couple of hours?
Breezemont is offline Find More Posts by Breezemont
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:49 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Naysayers wanted a poll ; now the poll is in place and naysayers discredit.

(Throws hands up in the air- gives up)
Thanks for doing this.

However, the poll isn't exactly representative of overall use.

Thousands of Phantoms have been sold all over the world, and we have about 50 or so responses.

But thanks for prompting the discussion.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:50 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezemont View Post
Do you honestly think all of the people who bought Phantoms read this thread that has been up a couple of hours?
Not in the least.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:54 PM
Quadtard
Breezemont's Avatar
United States, CO, Gilcrest
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
...
Breezemont is offline Find More Posts by Breezemont
Last edited by Breezemont; Apr 13, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: nevermind
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:56 PM
Quadtard
Breezemont's Avatar
United States, CO, Gilcrest
Joined Feb 2009
807 Posts
...
Breezemont is offline Find More Posts by Breezemont
Last edited by Breezemont; Apr 13, 2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: nevermind
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:05 PM
Registered User
gnolivos's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
We need to wait for more responses no doubt. I'm just saying, people need to calm down and stop discrediting the votes.
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
82 Posts
Interesting thread....

I'm certainly not here to say a fly away did or did not happen or accuse people of trolling, etc. One certain fact that no one can dispute is that ANY mechanical device mixed with advanced algorithms can fail.

With that said, my personal experience has been nothing but stellar with DJI products. In regards to the Phantom I have flown with different props, carbon landing gear, with the stock controller and with the Futaba 8J, have also really pushed the Phantom as a sport flyer in manual mode performing numerous maneuvers (Not recommended for beginners). NO crashes.....and NO failures what so ever. Also, I spend a lot of time "wrenching" on the Phantom, i.e. checking electronics, motors, props, airframe, Naza calibrations, toggle testing, etc. and my results have been 100%.

Gnolivos – Do you have a local flying field you could visit for help or a DJI dealer to contact?
Doug D is offline Find More Posts by Doug D
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:19 PM
Registered User
gnolivos's Avatar
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
Doug, why do you ask? I'm not experiencing ANY issues so far!!
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:22 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
They moved on? I'm just kidding.

On a serious note, a DJI rep told me that his reports indicate a failure rate at far less than 1%.

If you attribute most of that to user error, then the leaves probably one of every 800 or so sold that is defective.

That's just an educated guess, but it still concerns many of us, because the impact is pretty serious.

- - david
That 1% was probably after user error was eliminated. If not, that would be fantastic. Something I need to say is after flying now for over 40 years, I have never seen so much hype on multi-rotors and their issues.

Before flight controllers were invented, who was to blame... only us.
You walked away from the flying field with a couple hand full of parts and threw the rest in the supplied trash can. Sometimes members would even help you pick up the carnage... usually so they could fly as no one is allowed on the field during flight.

Maybe the reason some of us are not having issues is because we have learned how to fly a Flybar-less heli with zero flight control... not even a tail rotor stabilizer.

Expectations today are too high due to flight controllers. They do not make you a good pilot, they only help stabilize the RC. You even hear of RC pilots that say they cannot fly a Phantom in CL or HL because they have learned to fly an RC without this user friendly option.

We know for a fact owners are not reading the manual. Some are even posting that they haven't. On another forum an owner wants all his money back after posting video of his crashes and then asking where that WiFi comment was made.... Guess what... In the manual!

Slow down, read the manual and take baby steps.
Advance at your own pace. Don't feel bad that you are not doing FPV or 3D flying.
If you crash, have the Phantom fully checked out before trying to fly it again. Connections come loose and solder joints break not to mention ECU's don't like hitting the ground.... ever.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:28 PM
Registered User
Joined Mar 2012
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
Doug, why do you ask? I'm not experiencing ANY issues so far!!

"I am taking a responsible and rather sensible approach to GROUNDING my Phantom until this matter gets resolved... I want to share this rather enlightening thread with folks here, so you can decide what to do. I think the proverbial caca is about to hit the fan."
- After you wrote the above, I just thought having someone help you might restore your confidence to flying your Phantom.
Doug D is offline Find More Posts by Doug D
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2013, 08:30 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Last edited by HGT; Apr 15, 2013 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion DJI Phantom Video Thread - your tests, greatest flights, mishaps jamesdrone Multirotor Talk 154 Feb 07, 2014 10:24 AM
Discussion The Flyaway Club site launch & submission contest! FlyAwayClub Multirotor Talk 0 Mar 11, 2013 07:28 AM
Discussion Response to the Do you like closed threads/polls thread. 62pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Mar 17, 2010 05:05 PM
Poll GWS and the F4E Phantom II POLL Butterbyrd GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 41 Dec 30, 2008 10:42 PM
Poll Another AMA Thread/Poll (AHH!) - Who says we should close all of these threads? BD Flyer Electric Plane Talk 2 Sep 09, 2007 07:04 AM