HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Phantom Flyaway?
Yes I have, and I never got it back. 119 15.54%
Yes I have, but I managed to recover it. 122 15.93%
No, I have not. 525 68.54%
Voters: 766. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 19, 2013, 09:10 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
And from what I've read elsewhere here, a firmware update, at least for the Naza M, is in the works. Don't know if it will also be applied to the Phantom Naza.

- - david
Did this come from a DJI employee?
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Apr 2013
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac D View Post
Good point. I should have said... we are not accomplishing anything by arguing.

What everyone should take from this is:

1. Have a full understanding of how your craft works, what it can and can't do.

2. Always have a complete preflight routine and checklist, and use it EVERY TIME UP.

3. Calibration is your friend.

4. Never fly beyond your abilities.

5. Don't assume anything if you weren't there when it happened!
I would add -
6. Learn the LED codes and don't fly 'til they say you should fly!
MRSpyder2U is offline Find More Posts by MRSpyder2U
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
My number is MW00003308.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:36 PM
Unregulated User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRSpyder2U View Post
I would add -
6. Learn the LED codes and don't fly 'til they say you should fly!
Yes! And this:

7. Always have your contact information on your craft, in case something we haven't covered goes wrong!
Sac D is offline Find More Posts by Sac D
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:39 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
My number is MW00003308.
3308 in production. When did you get yours?
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, OH
Joined May 2008
941 Posts
So as of April 20, about 23% of respondents have experienced a flyaway. That's almost 1 in 4. When I created the poll, I was thinking to myself, 1 in 10, or 1 in 20! This is pretty bad. I started flying mine again, but kiss it goodbye everytime!
gnolivos is offline Find More Posts by gnolivos
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, MI, Owosso
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
So as of April 20, about 23% of respondents have experienced a flyaway. That's almost 1 in 4. When I created the poll, I was thinking to myself, 1 in 10, or 1 in 20! This is pretty bad. I started flying mine again, but kiss it goodbye everytime!
While I certainly don't blame them, it is still too bad that very few have taken the time to describe the circumstances. If enough did, perhaps a pattern would become apparent. Without further data, I still do not believe 1 in 4 Phantom owners are experiencing flyaways solely due to design flaws in the platform.
Northbound is offline Find More Posts by Northbound
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:12 PM
Quad Pilot
Joined Jan 2013
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnolivos View Post
It would be correct only if all Phantom owners that have not haven flyaway issues respond the poll. I think most interested are flyaway owners than those without issues.
Jumanoc is online now Find More Posts by Jumanoc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:35 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
3308 in production. When did you get yours?
February 20th.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:50 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,744 Posts
New Firmware Expected for Naza M

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Did this come from a DJI employee?
No, it didn't.

There is thread here that deals with a drifting problem with a Naza M.

DJI was contacted, and the user was given access to firmware 3.0, which includes an advanced IMU calibration tab that fixed his drift.

UPDATE: here's the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1875210

From Ed in Las Vegas:

Quote:
I have been testing it for a while now on my F330 and F450. I like it. I also like the GUI which is like the Phantom. You can now do the advanced calibration. I am actually surprised that it is not out by now. I would say soon. c3d76 I am glad it fixed your problem. I am still not a fan of the time required to warm up the esc's but if it flies better, I guess it is a small price to pay.
- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:20 PM
Unregulated User
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2013
854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
No, it didn't.

There is thread here that deals with a drifting problem with a Naza M.

DJI was contacted, and the user was given access to firmware 3.0, which includes an advanced IMU calibration tab that fixed his drift.

UPDATE: here's the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1875210

From Ed in Las Vegas:

- - david
A fix for drifting on a NAZA-M? Hmmm... okay, now that they solved that, how about taking a look at the Phantom's NAZA and make sure it's as solid as that? I'm beginning to regret my leap of faith in buying a Phantom for the second time. FIND THE CURE, DJI!
Sac D is offline Find More Posts by Sac D
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:05 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac D View Post
A fix for drifting on a NAZA-M? Hmmm... okay, now that they solved that, how about taking a look at the Phantom's NAZA and make sure it's as solid as that? I'm beginning to regret my leap of faith in buying a Phantom for the second time. FIND THE CURE, DJI!
I have been running that firmware since Jan 25th in my Phantom.

Brief:

The firmware v3.00 adds function of advanced calibration and four LED indicators. Please refer to the new manual;
1, New attitude stabilize algorithm, provides better maneuvering flight performance, especially flight without GPS module;
2, Add protection for Hexa-copter when lost one motor power;
3, Automatically compensate the course deviation, to minimize the influence of the magnetic interference;
4, Add the IMU Advanced Calibration function and sensor error self-checking;
5, Add LED tips for the compass interference.
Last edited by HGT; Apr 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:06 AM
Joined Apr 2013
16 Posts
HGT

I got a few questions about the compass connection. If that connection gets wet will it cause the Phantom to go out of control? Say you put the Phantom down on some wet grass, and a drop of water works it's way into the contacts will this cause the Phantom to go nuts? If so would putting some dielectric grease in this connection prevent a return to China situation?
Bad_Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Bad_Wolf
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:23 AM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
I don't know if water has caused anyone issues. I have flown in drizzle and snow. Landed in snow and seen others do the same. Dielectric grease can't hurt though.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:52 AM
Joined Apr 2013
12 Posts
Not fly away but some observations

Hey all,
When videoing in a bit of wind the other day I noticed something that could cause a loss if not noticed and corrected. I like to film in ATTi mode allowing the quad to drift with the wind. This minimizes control inputs. At the end of the run I can fly back to the start point up wind. In this case I sent it down wind away from the home point. In hind sight it might be wiser to fly up wind then drift down to the home point.
The winds on the ground were 5-10 I guess. The wind at 100' were quite a bit stronger it seems. About half way through the run the quad increased speed. I had to climb to avoid some trees at the end of the field. The distance from me was about 500' at that point. I switched immediately to GPS mode and the Phantom slowed but didn't exactly stop. It was difficult to see orientation at that distance and my firsts control input moved it away. I switched to home lock at that point and it came back to me fine.
I noticed in the video on the return trip it was working very hard to move into the wind. I reduced altitude as soon as it was clear of the trees. There was less wind there.

I am wondering if the Phantom in RTH has the ability to fight a strong wind and return home. All the videos I have seem of people testing that function show it flying quite slowly. I could see that at altitude with a string wind it could be carried away even if it was trying to RTH.

I learned it isn't worth playing with wind at a distance. Close by its a good challenge but the time it takes for things to change to bad is very short. Distance adds to this. While I feel I was in control the whole time in that flight it was o Bly because the Phantom has some features that allowed me that control. Without GPS I might have lost it. Without home lock I would have had to run closer too it to find orientation. Of course I wouldn't have been flying that day if I didn't have a quad with those features.
You know what they say about four wheel drive, four times as stuck.
Lesson learned, Be wise and think flights through. The sun will rise tomorrow.
lyricon is offline Find More Posts by lyricon