HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Have you experienced a Phantom Flyaway?
Yes I have, and I never got it back. 114 15.53%
Yes I have, but I managed to recover it. 113 15.40%
No, I have not. 507 69.07%
Voters: 734. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:03 PM
London,UK
Joined Jun 2001
344 Posts
Pending any statement from DJI I would only comment that I fly in SW London, a city of over 8m, well served by WiFi routers and mobile cell towers, and have yet to observe any 'deviant' flight characteristics, despite looking closely.

Then again I prefer flying in Atti mode as it is smoother from a video making perspective, and is simply more fun.
staib is offline Find More Posts by staib
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,300 Posts
part of the huge problem here is the way you have to get lucky to find out info on the phantom, the little nuances that can save your craft. I read for a bazillion hours in prep before ordering and no where did I see alt restrictions being in place before one could rely on rth
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:08 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
I would like a definite statement on tis wifi issues.

One questions I'd like answered is if flying in ATTI mode is safe in an area where there are various wi fi routers, like a residential area?

But a statement from DJI would be very appropriate.
Guys.... How much clearer does this need to be? This is RC 101!

You DO NOT fly any RC in an area where there is the same frequency as what the RC is using being broadcasted. If you choose to do so, you accept the risk of it being interfered with and therefore accept all possible outcomes.

Please read this disclaimer carefully before using the Phantom. By using this product, you hereby agree to this disclaimer and signify that you have read them fully.

DJI Innovations accepts no liability for damage(s) or injuries incurred directly or indirectly from the use of this product in the following conditions:

11. Damage(s) or injuries caused by flying in the following situations such as the aircraft in magnetic interference area, radio interference area, government regulated no-fly zones or the pilot is in backlight, blocked, fuzzy sight, and poor eyesight is not suitable for operating and other conditions not suitable for operating.
HGT is offline Find More Posts by HGT
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:11 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
We really need a better definition and explanation of what constitutes a "radio interference area."

This neither identifies what GHZ, nor does it explain anything about wi fi.

Nor do we know if it is safe to fly ATTI in that area.

I fly in a area 300 yards from some houses. Is this a radio interference area?

Is flying above your own house in a remote area a "radio interference area" if we have a router?

These warnings, given the potential consequences, are wholly inadequate.

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by daskim; Apr 16, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:18 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
Ed you must must clarify this for me, where are you getting that data from and is it a built in feature of naza+gps

the reason Im asking is the -only- technical problem Ive ever had with mine was near catastrophe because of this, and when I asked my dealer he said naza has no hovering function built in when in RTH mode but heres what happened

was very high up in fpv mode late at night and got lost far from my base

had never tested rth before at all but I needed it then, so I flicked the switch on my devo that is setup for that. it simply hovered and never moved forward I think it was about 8 mins of straight hovering. there were lights below me that would have moved if it was going forward, even in slow gps mode. I have an osd that shows me the rear led...it was flashing hard red so I just turned off rth (flick gps atti) and gunned it in the direction I guessed would be, got lucky and yanked it out of the air just before it dropped like a rock from no juice

for sure I was above 65 feet, more like 500 feet. if the copter can rise to 65 feet to initiate rth as needed from a low flight, can't it also drop to that level and initiate>?
Using the supplied Phantom TX / RX the Phantom will do the following.

If not at 20 meters high, it will first go to that altitude.
It will then move horizontally to the home point.
It will pause approximately 15 seconds then start to descend.
If it is above 20 meters it will move horizontally to the home point and start to decend immediately until it reaches 20 meters then it will pause approximately 15 seconds before decending further.
As it descends, it will continue to make accurate adjustments until it lands.

I have this on video if you would like to see t.

NOW, if you are using any other TX / RX other than what was supplied with the Phantom, forget it as the TX can have the failsafe's setup many different ways.

Contact Tony to see how he setup the Devo fail safes. They can be setup exactly like the Phantom TX.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2013
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighGainTuning View Post
Guys.... How much clearer does this need to be? This is RC 101!

You DO NOT fly any RC in an area where there is the same frequency as what the RC is using being broadcasted. If you choose to do so, you accept the risk of it being interfered with and therefore accept all possible outcomes.

Please read this disclaimer carefully before using the Phantom. By using this product, you hereby agree to this disclaimer and signify that you have read them fully.

DJI Innovations accepts no liability for damage(s) or injuries incurred directly or indirectly from the use of this product in the following conditions:

11. Damage(s) or injuries caused by flying in the following situations such as the aircraft in magnetic interference area, radio interference area, government regulated no-fly zones or the pilot is in backlight, blocked, fuzzy sight, and poor eyesight is not suitable for operating and other conditions not suitable for operating.
So do you follow that or DJIs videos demonstrating flying down main street right at people, no RF or magnets in Austin, or LasVegas https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=IeWJ5eFjcPA
Wayupabove is offline Find More Posts by Wayupabove
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:32 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
We really need a better definition and explanation of what constitutes a "radio interference area."

This neither identifies what GHZ, nor does it explain anything about wi fi.

Nor do we know if it is safe to fly ATTI in that area.

I fly in a area 300 yards from some houses. Is this a radio interference area?

Is flying above your own house in a remote area a "radio interference area" if we have a router?

These warnings, given the potential consequences, are wholly inadequate.

- - david
I am not speaking for DJI rather an RC owner.

If you can pick up an AP with your WiFi enabled smart phone which operates in the 802.11 b/G spectrum, you are in an area of interference. Smart phones and the Phantom RX have near equal receive sensitivity.

If you do not have a WiFi enabled smart phone, invest in a $15.00 WiFi locator.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:35 PM
United States, MI, Owosso
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
no where did I see alt restrictions being in place before one could rely on rth
Honestly, I do not think one could ever rely on RTH, despite the market hype.

But then I wade through tons of market hype when buying products in my job. So I am cynical.

I see RTH as a bonus, nice to have "oh S%$t!" feature because it just might save the craft.
Northbound is offline Find More Posts by Northbound
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,300 Posts
it works though, on my craft anyway, my question was do we need to be below a certain height to activate it
ive tested it a lot since then just never happened to be that high up on the successful runs.
it just went into this stated hold mode the first time lol cause brown pants moment

I wanted Ed to state if thats a known program in the naza controller it would explain so much
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:40 PM View Post
HGT
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Provocation). It is temporarily hidden while HGT edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:42 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northbound View Post
Honestly, I do not think one could ever rely on RTH, despite the market hype.

But then I wade through tons of market hype when buying products in my job. So I am cynical.

I see RTH as a bonus, nice to have "oh S%$t!" feature because it just might save the craft.
I see RTH as an air bag in a car. It has saved many but I sure the hell am not going to purposely test it out.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:45 PM
HGT
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2013
3,566 Posts
Quote:
it works though, on my craft anyway, my question was do we need to be below a certain height to activate it
ive tested it a lot since then just never happened to be that high up on the successful runs.
it just went into this stated hold mode the first time lol cause brown pants moment

I wanted Ed to state if thats a known program in the naza controller it would explain so much
The one and only time my RTH activated was due to going out of range vertically and it performed as per the manual so I can safely say there doesn't appear to be a certain height it must be within. Again, your TX/RX is not OEM so it is difficult to say how it will react every time.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,740 Posts
Quote:
I am not speaking for DJI rather an RC owner.

If you can pick up an AP with your WiFi enabled smart phone which operates in the 802.11 b/G spectrum, you are in an area of interference. Smart phones and the Phantom RX have near equal receive sensitivity.

If you do not have a WiFi enabled smart phone, invest in a $15.00 WiFi locator.
Two questions, and thanks for your contributions.

Is the interference potential in 802.11 b/G between the Phantom transmitter TX and the Phantom receiver?

And do other popular receivers such as the Spektrum, Futaba, and others have the same potential for interference?

- - david
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,300 Posts
Quote:
I see RTH as an air bag in a car. It has saved many but I sure the hell am not going to purposely test it out.
ha lol totally agree, but its nice to know what switch to push if you ever do need to test it. If i was too high up for it to work at all, and didn't know that, bad on DJI for hiding such info its not even on their blog
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, MI, Owosso
Joined Feb 2013
238 Posts
Quote:
ha lol totally agree, but its nice to know what switch to push if you ever do need to test it. If i was too high up for it to work at all, and didn't know that, bad on DJI for hiding such info its not even on their blog
To me it would seem like distance is distance, horizontal or vertical should not matter. I agree it would be very strange if RTH had a vertical only limit. HGT's experience seems to show that is not the case anyway.

The only limit I knew of was that if it was above 60 feet it would stay there until over home.

I will not be testing it.
Northbound is offline Find More Posts by Northbound