HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2001, 11:19 PM
Santa Rosa, Northern CA, USA
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Tiger Moth Wing Joining ?

Well, I have read at least 100 post on the TM, but I just started my kit..

I used a small amout of epoxy to set the dihederal in the lower wing.

(I blocked up one tip, at the tip, 80 mm, let the glue dry, pulled the block, and then presto the wing went way flatter. Oops, need to block by the joint next time, and measure at the tip. I hope I am not the first..)

Here is my question. Are you all using that plastic cover "item" on the bottom wing with the double sided tape? Seems pretty low tech, but maybe that is the way to go?

Should I forget the tape and use some glue with the plastic?

Should I forget the plastic and do something else?

Thanks,
Dave

PS: Wonder why I just don't follow the directions?

Any hints on the top wing would be welcome..... guess the yellow tape is for it.
Daveairway is offline Find More Posts by Daveairway
Last edited by Daveairway; Nov 27, 2001 at 11:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2001, 01:50 AM
Leavenworth Ks
Joined Nov 2001
111 Posts
wing joints

I used the plastic joiner with the supplied tape, worked fine and helps keep the wing solid for the rubber bands . On the top wing I had weights on the center peace and blocked the wing tips , I used epoxy vs the tape supplied to hold it then used the supplied yellow tape to cover the glue.
Dave Bowles is offline Find More Posts by Dave Bowles
Old Nov 28, 2001, 08:57 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I just started mine lastnight, and they didnt include the DAMN TAPE FOR THE TOP WING!!!! I had to use some lexan tape to hold the wing together on top, but it is much stronger than anything they could have given me.
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Nov 28, 2001, 09:03 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Don't use the double stick tape. The plastic piece works great, just epoxy it to the wing. That's all you need to hold the dihedral.

I messed up my top wing by using the ds tape and re-did it using baking soda and Odorless CA. The yellow tape was so mangled I covered the whole thing with packing tape and painted it.

A better solution that was posted later is to use epoxy and instead of the tape glue thin plastic strips on.

BC
Basketcase is offline Find More Posts by Basketcase
Old Nov 28, 2001, 09:22 PM
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Thanks guys for the help.

Nut, my top wing tape was painted yellow and in with the wing struts. Did you look there?

Sounds like I will epoxy the plastic lower wing joiner on and epoxy the top wing with some light plastic strips.

Boy this little plane is too cute !!

Thanks Again,
Dave
Old Nov 28, 2001, 09:56 PM
Central Texas
Joined Nov 2001
107 Posts
Daveairway,
I use Pro-bond for the top and bottom wing joints as well as to apply the dihedral plate. It holds as good as epoxy but as it dries it makes a foam that fills the joint gap and is easy to sand.
That makes it a lot easier to get the tape flat when you apply it to the top wing joints.
Hope this helps
Lynn
marauder is offline Find More Posts by marauder
Old Nov 28, 2001, 11:17 PM
Flys with Thumbs
Frisco, TX, USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,858 Posts
All stock works fine. Even after several crashes...
Danal Estes is offline Find More Posts by Danal Estes
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:15 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Nada on the wing tape. I searched through everything four times (including taking the box apart thinking it may have gotten loose and lodged in a folded corner!). Its pretty durn stiff, and my plane is nearly done after about three hours.

Greg
Old Dec 01, 2001, 12:13 AM
Joined Oct 1999
2,472 Posts
Quick update

Well,

After trial fitting the plastic joiner to the lower wing and trying to figure out how to hold it smooth with no gaps while the glue dried.... I gave up.

I wound up using the double sided tape, stuck the plastic joiner to the wing, and was done. Boy that was easy !! Seems to have worked just fine too

Here is a neat trick to join the fuse. Put a real thin layer of tightbond glue to each side. (Wipe exess off with fingers) Let this just get tacky, then join the sides. I then used about 15 dental rubber bands to hold the sides together. Worked great with no paint lost, as often happens with the tape method.

Dave

PS: Greg, so you did the major hunt aye? Been there too. Alot like dropping that last (only one I own) servo horn screw and hearing a little "ting" as it hides somewhere on the floor....

Wonder why my kit had two sets of the tape?
Old Dec 01, 2001, 12:32 AM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
I have heard that "pling", and then spend an hour looking for the damn screw. I finally just decided to keep an old 400 can motor laying around to use as a magnet to pick up pesky little creatures like that

My moth is done, just have to fit the rx, speed control and battery, trim and fly it

Now, back to the B-25

Greg
Old Dec 01, 2001, 09:00 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Just a quick question. I've seen numerous posts mentioning Pro-Bond. What is it and where do you get it? My LHS never heard of it. Sounds like the ticket. Thanks, BC
Old Dec 01, 2001, 10:01 AM
Homer Glen, Illinois, United States
Joined Sep 2001
453 Posts
Pro-Bond

Basketcase,
Pro-Bond is available at your local hardware store. I get mine at Ace Hardware. I believe it is made by either Bordens or Elmers. It is a polyurathane glue. I use it all the time to sheet my foam wings. Make you use it very sparingly.
Pete
T6Junkie is offline Find More Posts by T6Junkie
Old Dec 01, 2001, 11:02 AM
KLH
Pack Rat
Hayward CA / Valley Springs CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,779 Posts
Basketcase

Probond is great stuff, however, I would suggest that you experiment a little with it before you use it anywhere that will show. It sets up very slow and expands a lot. Epoxy is quicker and has a better finshed look but probond seems to be a little more flexable. On foam Probond seems to work it's way down into the little cracks and crevices and make a stronger joint.

Kern
KLH is offline Find More Posts by KLH
Old Dec 01, 2001, 11:11 AM
an earth bound misfit, I
St. Pete, Florida
Joined Sep 2001
9,429 Posts
Thanks for the info guys.

BC