The HiSky HFP80 Review (a.k.a. FBL70/ WLToys V955) ***Updated:Video!***

Hey guys,
Please note that HiSKY now has a new naming convention for their aircraft:
FBL70=HFP80
FBL80=HCP80
FBL90=HFP100
FBL100=HCP100
FF120=HMX120
whereas the "H" designates a HiSKY product, the CP/FP signifies the type of rotorhead.
For quads, the "M" designates a multirotor, the "X" is the configuration of the airframe. The number behind the letter designation refers to aircraft size.

Future aircraft will follow this naming scheme.

Oh, and there are new canopies for the 80' series FP and CP aircraft!

Original review below:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The HiSky FBL70 review

Pre-flight

A few weeks ago I accepted the opportunity to review the HiSky FBL 70; a tiny, relatively cheap fixed-pitch helicopter that really caught my eye (that canopy looks amazing in my opinion). Since my review of the Walkera Super FP, these flybarless, fixed-pitched micros have really caught my attention. I believe that flybarless systems are the future of these 4 channel micros.

I hope that this review could help you make a decision on whether or not the FBL70 is the right helicopter for your fleet. As always, questions and comments welcome

Before we begin, I would like to thank Annry from Banggood.com for supporting my unbiased standpoint and providing the review sample.

Delivery

The test sample is a FBL70+HiSky X-6S package. It arrived, oddly enough, after travelling half way around the world then back to Asia again. Oh well, at least it was very well protected!

Here is a list of the items that were included in the package.

1 x FBL70 helicopter
1 x HiSky X6S transmitter
1 x USB charger
2 x LI-PO battery
1 x Spare Main blades (Bullet type)
1x Spare tail blade
1x Spares pack (all linkages, a hex key and a phillips screwdriver)
2x Instruction Manuals (1 for the heli, 1 for the transmitter)

The Flightdeck

The included transmitter is a 6 channel unit (the HiSky X6S). It is a 21 dollar option that, in my opinion, is worth investing in. It has very good ergonomics, it's quite easy to program (Although there are a few spelling errors in the menu) and I feel that the stick tension is perfect.
Build quality is on par with other hobby grade transmitters and it is compatible with all HiSky/rebranded HiSky aircraft (such as the WLToys V922 and the HobbyKing Qbot). It uses 4AA batteries or compatible battery pack.

the cat was very interested in flying the FBL70

The Walk-Around

All components,like the dual linear servos, the tail rotor etc., are connected to the vertical board using plugs. Both the main and tail motors are efficient coreless motors. The rotor head is plastic and there are 2 included rotor options- a traditional narrow chord blade and a bullet type main rotor.

The 2 included batteries are 3.7V 180mAh 25C units; the USB charger can charge both batteries at once.

Flight characteristics

Stable, yet agile. This is how I'd describe the flight characteristics of the FBL70. I was testing out my new quads today and decided to bring the FBL70 with me; it was very windy, but I was very surprised that the FBL70 could maintain flight albeit with a lot of throttle and stick management. This is by far the most wind resistant fixed-pitched helicopter I've ever flown.

As to its stability, the FBL70 is very stable. It won't hover hands off but it only needs minimal stick input. If this is your first FBL bird and you do decide to get the X6S package, I would recommend using dual rates or decreasing the travel. If you are more experienced and wish to fly outdoors, I think the FBL70 does need a bit more throw/travel on the aileron channel. This is easily programmed into the X6S with the maximum travel value being 120% in each direction.

There doesn't seem to be any bad flight characteristics as far as I could tell. It will go where you point it and it has more than enough power to climb at a decent pace. If you pump the throttle, the tail does take a fraction of a second to keep up, although this does seem to be consistent with other fixed-pitched flybarless helicopters.

Another thing I would like to point out is that the running gear is VERY smooth and quiet. It makes a very nice low-pitched sound (oddly) when the throttle is advanced.

Flight time is around 5-6 minutes, I fly 2 batteries per session with a 5 minute break in between. The motor does get a little warm after flights.

HiSky FBL70 windy (1 min 58 sec)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
***Update***

A little bit of wobble/oscillation was experienced after a crash. I'm guessing it's due to the main gear being mis-aligned but I've yet to figure out how to solve it. I'll update as soon as I figure it out
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conclusion

Over the years, I seldom come across an item in which I'm almost completely satisfied with (the RC EYE One, the V959 and the X4 are some of the exceptions). HiSky's FBL70 really belongs in that list as my biggest problem over the past few days that I've owned it is that I can't really find anything wrong with it! (aside from a spelling error in the X6S' menu).

Despite the stable and predictable flight characteristics of the FBL70, I do not recommend it as a first helicopter. If you've experience on something such as the V911; look no further, this is the helicopter for you.

I am truly impressed with the FBL70, it's great looks, relatively low price and unparalleled performance really does make it one of the best R/C products I've had the pleasure of owning.

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me here or via PM. This review was written on April 12th, 2013 and is accurate per my findings. Hope you enjoyed it!

Pros & Cons

Pros
+ Stable, agile performance
+ Well-programmed flybarless system
+ Great value
+ Quiet drive system

Cons
- Short flight time? 5-6 minutes
- Slight wobble encountered after crash, solution to be determined.
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Dec 16, 2013 at 08:10 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:25 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Jamie's very nicely written review of the FBL90 is up! If the FBL70 is too small for you, here's something a little bigger and looks/performs just as nicely as my beloved FBL70.

Here's his video

Purchase Information:
The FBL70 is available here (Banggood)for 77.42 USD (base, with the stock TX) or for 98.42 as tested (with the X6S transmitter).
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Nov 13, 2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:40 PM
Safety : practice & promote!
Joined Dec 2011
4,900 Posts
Thanks for the great review! This one is on my "to get" list.
RoboHeli is offline Find More Posts by RoboHeli
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2013, 03:57 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,952 Posts
Great review....how does it fly compared to the SuperFP?
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Apr 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
Bash crash hopefully no splash
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Apr 2012
741 Posts
Hi James. Great review (as always ) thanks!

A couple of questions:
1. Can you confirm this is controllable with V922 Tx and/or the HT8 module?
2. Are you expecting WL Toys to offer rebrands over time as well?

Look forward to see the thread come alive!
Flyingboats is offline Find More Posts by Flyingboats
Old Apr 12, 2013, 08:33 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Oct 2012
100 Posts
costco Batteries !!!
rjs62 is online now Find More Posts by rjs62
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:21 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Cheers for the replies guys,

@Roboheli, I think you won't be disappointed at all! This is one of the finest micros I've ever flown.

@TheKingPhisher, The FBL70 is quieter, more agile and it handles MUCH more wind. I've found that the Super FP will start to become unstable when you lower the headspeed but with the FBL70 you can really throttle back and do swooping dives and all. That said, the Super FP is a fine FP, I still own it and fly it quite a bit... but I guess this is progress...these boards just get better and better.

@FlyingBoats, Thanks! I can confirm that the FBL70 is compatible with the HT8 module and the V922 transmitter, and the FBL70, 80 and 90 will all be rebranded as WLToys products soon (with a different transmitter and the pelican canopy)... I prefer the HiSky canopy to be honest..and that X6S...man..it's a perfect match for the FBL70.

@rjs62, yup! You won't believe how many AA batteries I go through with the fleet. I'm very thankful that there are 2 Costcos in my city here in Taiwan, I spend A LOT of time there.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:01 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Hmm..well this is embarrassing..was trying to take the components apart to take some pictures for the review and accidentally pulled one of the servo wires out of it's plug...
will buy new parts once I return to China next week..but note to self... don't fix it if it ain't broken! (and pull on the plug, not the wire!!)

Anyways, I gathered some flight footage of the FBL70 in a ridiculous amount of wind... I'll make a new video once I get the bird flying again.

(I was just hovering it against the wind, the FBL70 could fly forward even in this wind, but I ran out of guts and skill :P)

HiSky FBL70 windy (1 min 58 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Apr 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
50 Posts
Thank you for the review. I'll probably wait for the rebranded WLtoys.as I find the price is a little steep for an FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameschen072 View Post
I find this photo interesting: the wires for the tail motor aren't enameled but with plastic insulation. My V922 crashed, the tail boom broke and the enamel coating of the wires has suffered so shorts are likely to have occured. I'm not sure if the board is fried yet. FBL70 tail motor wiring would be great to avoid shorts after a messy FBL100/V922 crash.
lalelilo is offline Find More Posts by lalelilo
Old Apr 13, 2013, 06:28 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
Cheers for the replies guys,

@Roboheli, I think you won't be disappointed at all! This is one of the finest micros I've ever flown.

@TheKingPhisher, The FBL70 is quieter, more agile and it handles MUCH more wind. I've found that the Super FP will start to become unstable when you lower the headspeed but with the FBL70 you can really throttle back and do swooping dives and all. That said, the Super FP is a fine FP, I still own it and fly it quite a bit... but I guess this is progress...these boards just get better and better.

@FlyingBoats, Thanks! I can confirm that the FBL70 is compatible with the HT8 module and the V922 transmitter, and the FBL70, 80 and 90 will all be rebranded as WLToys products soon (with a different transmitter and the pelican canopy)... I prefer the HiSky canopy to be honest..and that X6S...man..it's a perfect match for the FBL70.

@rjs62, yup! You won't believe how many AA batteries I go through with the fleet. I'm very thankful that there are 2 Costcos in my city here in Taiwan, I spend A LOT of time there. :D
Did you ever hear of the chargers that you are supposed to be able to charge REGULAR AA batteries with (YES! alkaline !!!) - to my shame I have to admit I bought at Newegg about 2yrs ago and never even tried ... ....
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 09:08 PM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
@lalelilo, If the WLToys rebrand uses the same board, that's definitely an option to consider. I heard that the rebrand project is in progress already so you might see it sooner than you think!
As to the tail motor wire, I agree, the plastic insulation is much better than said enamel coating...which got me a few times as well :/

@E2, Charging Alkaline batteries? That sounds dangerous my friend... I think you made a good call by not using it..lol..
interesting though..I wonder if it actually works?

By the way, I was out and about in the national park lately..and I found where HiSky got the inspiration for their canopies from..

RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:27 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,063 Posts
Quote:
@lalelilo, If the WLToys rebrand uses the same board, that's definitely an option to consider. I heard that the rebrand project is in progress already so you might see it sooner than you think!
As to the tail motor wire, I agree, the plastic insulation is much better than said enamel coating...which got me a few times as well :/

@E2, Charging Alkaline batteries? That sounds dangerous my friend... I think you made a good call by not using it..lol..
interesting though..I wonder if it actually works?

Like I said, I dont know from personal experience how it works as I never tried to use it, but here is the page from where I bought it (too bad it says "discontinued" now, but according to some of the reviews it might actually be "legit" ...

(will post a pic or two tomorrow ...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182206
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:07 PM
Super Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
1,952 Posts
Thanks for posting that video...looks like it handles wind very well.
TheKingPhisher is offline Find More Posts by TheKingPhisher
Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:14 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Oct 2012
100 Posts
Wow.... never knew they had Costco in Taiwan !
always thought of them as a north american store !
rjs62 is online now Find More Posts by rjs62
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:20 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Cheers guys,
@E2, thanks for the link! Guess it looks legit after all! :P hmm.. But I think it might be better to go directly to rechargeable nimh or in NiCads huh?

@TheKingPhisher, the wind resistance is absolutely amazing. The winds it was flying in was a little strong even for my mini quads.. I know I've said it a bunch but man am I amazed!

@rjs62, they actually sell the same stuff as the ones I've been to back home in Cali but they also have a lot of local brands... Wish they'd sell quads by the dozen :P
RCG Plus Member