HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:46 AM
United States, NY, Hyde Park
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
Discussion
Flight stabilization????

I would like to hear how the warbird fliers feel about using flight stabilization in the warbirds. Part of me feels its cheating and keeps me from becoming a better pilot. I dont use it now but many people at my club do. How do you feel about them?
Drttrack97 is offline Find More Posts by Drttrack97
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Dec 2009
1,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drttrack97 View Post
I would like to hear how the warbird fliers feel about using flight stabilization in the warbirds. Part of me feels its cheating and keeps me from becoming a better pilot. I dont use it now but many people at my club do. How do you feel about them?
I think the world is a big enough place for ‘devotees’, conscientious objectors and casual explorers, of such devices ... all alongside one another.

Typically, rc-flight competency certification does not allow use of them during flight testing (at least in the U.K.), which is understandable
…. but otherwise, why not explore ?
.... you can always take them out again, or in some cases, simply turn the functionality off.

I'm currently exploring use of one on a PZ MkIX Spit.

Plane Chaos is offline Find More Posts by Plane Chaos
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:10 AM
A disaster in the making.
United Kingdom, England, Selby
Joined Jan 2013
379 Posts
I have one in my Skyraider, though I have yet to fly it.

If technology becomes available to make the world a safer place, why not use it?

Or turn those airbags off and drive without seat belts.
Damnandblastit is offline Find More Posts by Damnandblastit
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:42 AM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,127 Posts
i go for bigger motors. speed's great for flight stabilization
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:05 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos View Post
I think the world is a big enough place for ‘devotees’, conscientious objectors and casual explorers, of such devices ... all alongside one another.

Typically, rc-flight competency certification does not allow use of them during flight testing (at least in the U.K.), which is understandable
…. but otherwise, why not explore ?
.... you can always take them out again, or in some cases, simply turn the functionality off.

I'm currently exploring use of one on a PZ MkIX Spit.

...and i'm paying attention to your results/observations.
despite one's piloting skills, there seems to be environmental factors that warrant the use of one of these things. i'm particularly tired of trying to beat turbulence on landings. where i live is always windy (it seems). i'd already have one if it weren't for the price at the LHS.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:14 PM
United States, NY, Hyde Park
Joined Aug 2012
60 Posts
The field I fly at sometimes has a updraft at on end of the runway. It can be calm but the updraft will come and go. The gyro would help but but to become a better pilot I should learn to deal with every situation. Right ?
Drttrack97 is offline Find More Posts by Drttrack97
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:35 PM
cuz real planes cost too much
USA, CO, Frederick
Joined Jan 2011
817 Posts
if you don't think you need one (or want one), then don't get one. if your situation seems tolerable to you, i wouldn't get one in that case. i've tried to cope with situations that are only predictable in that they are unpredictable - consistenlty. and they are not something that tends to be just a matter of skill (imo). i get tired of repairing and dinging my planes.
another way to look at a moderate situation (one that might be considered as overcome by skill development) is to employ the gyro, but gradually turn the gains down (in subsequent setups/adjustments) so that the unit slowly and gradually turns over control to the pilot. kinda like a 'trainer' gyro.
pretendpilot is offline Find More Posts by pretendpilot
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:36 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,127 Posts
@Drttrack97: yes. just my 2 cents but stick time and flying in windy weather is the best preparation.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Apr 12, 2013, 12:59 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,226 Posts
i prefer to fly without but i do love my beast! the gyro does help for sudden wind gusts upon landing and takeoff. helps to limit damage that can happen in a blink of an eye. i don't feel i need it once im air born.
walter3rd is online now Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Apr 12, 2013, 02:43 PM
Avionics tech
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2011
2,200 Posts
Got the orange flight stabilizer in both my PZ Spitfire and Durafly SE-5a. I was skeptical at first but I really do like it. I can fly that biplane in conditions I wouldn't otherwise. And watching my Spitty automatically compensate for light wind gusts is pretty cool. It reacts a hell of a lot faster than I can. Recommended. A good read > http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+flight+stabil
52Sabre is online now Find More Posts by 52Sabre
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:07 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
PZ did a good job with their AS3X stabilizer, I have both the AS3X equipped Beast and the non-AS3X equipped Beast, and there's a big difference between the two.
Also have a AS3X equipped GeeBee R2, and it's pretty solid.

They don't auto-level or fly the plane for you, but they do tame some of the bad tendencies of warbirds.
It can be a pain to get the gain settings dialed in for a particular aircraft, and sometimes you'll never find a setting that you really like.
Seems to be a compromise between good flight and a stable airplane.
Other models take to flight stabilizers right off the bat and work well together, and when that happens you'll never want to fly the model without it.
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Apr 12, 2013, 09:57 PM
Antarctica
Joined Apr 2012
746 Posts
Yes, flying without it is the best way to learn and improve your skills, esp the landing of plane.

Once u are able to fly well, it's time to explore the technology, I use it during windy condition, u will be surprised how well the plane handle the windy condition under the stabilisation mode. I hv ever landing 45 deg to the landing strip with and without the stabiliser, due to strong wind, the stabiliser handle this condition very well.

Btw, I can also remotely off my gyro thru transmitter, so why worry that u are not learning...So bottomline, know how to fly well without it first, then use it just to experience the 'taste' of new technology. Windy condition flying is not everyone liking, but having said this, here while they are packing up, u are still flying!!! lol.
viperviper is offline Find More Posts by viperviper
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
Forgot to mention that gain adjustments on the TX are very helpful when dialing in a flight stabilizer or gyro, you can adjust on the fly with a turn of a knob just like the heli guys do.
Instead of going for a short flight, landing and adjusting, then taking off again, all you have to do is adjust the knob until you get a setting you like...saves a lot of time!
WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:04 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,047 Posts
Stabilizers only help with outside influences on the plane...you still have to fly it yourself. I've got the V.1 Orange 3 Axis Stabilizers (Rate Gyros) in 2 of my planes, and they transformed tail dragging Warbirds into trainers pretty much, MUCH more docile for take-offs especially, and allows me to fly in conditions I would otherwise pack it in for the day due to wind, which is nice. I'd like to get the V.2 Orange, as it can be turned on and off from the radio, so you'd only really have to use it for taking off and landing
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Apr 13, 2013, 01:23 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdl View Post
i go for bigger motors. speed's great for flight stabilization
I almost always use a bit higher pitched prop too! When I can anyway. I have some bigger motors, but no way to fit 'em into some of my planes, waaay too big. Wasted motors just sitting!
Don
dkrhardy is offline Find More Posts by dkrhardy