SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

DJI Innovations Wookong M Bluetooth Remote LED and iOS Assistant App Preview

DJI adds to it's impressive Wookong M with a new Remote LED featuring Bluetooth connectivity to it's new iPhone app.

Splash

Introduction

Hardware:Remote LED, USB & Bluetooth
Software Compatibility:iOS
Bluetooth Version:4.0
Price:TBA
Manufactured by:DJI Innovations
Available From:DJI Dealers

DJI have introduced their new Bluetooth powered remote LED for the Wookong M. Using the iOS app on devices such as the iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch, which have the Bluetooth 4.0 protocol built in, you can now make changes to the Wookong M without the use of a PC or USB clable. An added bonus is that if you do wish to use your PC, the new Bluetooth remote LED has a USB port built into the side of it, making it easier to attach your computer if the Wookong M is buried inside your aircraft. Also coming with the release of the new iOS software and remote LED, will be a new version of the PC based software assistant. It now features the same interface as the Naza H/M, which makes programming a little easier. Pricing has yet to be announced, as has the release date, but in the meantime we can take a look at what you will be able to do with it.

The Old and The New

The old remote LED light acts as a form of communication between the Wookong M and the pilot. It achieves this via a series of LED flashes, visually indicating various modes and functions to the pilot. In the above photo, you can see the original remote LED on the left, and the new remote LED on the right. The new remote LED features Bluetooth 4.0, as well as a micro USB on the side. there is also the addition of a small (pinpoint) LED on the side of the unit next to the USB port. This smaller LED indicates the status of the Bluetooth link.

The addition of the micro USB on the remote LED makes attaching a computer to the Wookong extremely easy. Usually, you would have to plug your USB cable directly into the Wookong's master controller. This isn't always easy, as a lot of the time the unit is buried somewhere in the aircraft that makes it hard to reach. The new LED is slightly larger than the original, with a chamfered edge all around and a slightly larger plug going into the casing.

Of course, the main advantage of this new LED is being able to connect to the Wookong M remotely. You need a Bluetooth 4.0 iOS device, and also the iOS software from DJI. The new PC assistant will update the firmware on the Wookong M so that you can use the iOS assistant.

Installation

Installation is as simple as swapping the old LED for the new LED. The new PC assistant software must be downloaded and installed, and once it is connected to the Wookong M it will update the firmware to make it compatible with the new hardware.

In the case of this beta version, the iOS software was downloaded from DJI's website, and DJI added my iPhone 4's information to their database. I'm sure that this will all be automated upon release, but this is purely speculation on my part.

I took the opportunity of using the old LED as well as the new LED. I simply plugged the old LED into the port on the GPS cable, and then positioned it on the opposite side of my aircraft (in my case the F550). I figured it would be good to be able to see the LED from both the front and back of the aircraft.

iOS App

With everything installed and ready to go, I had to do a complete setup from scratch on a new Wookong M. I only used the PC assistant for the initial firmware upgrade, and the setup was done exclusively through the iOS assistant on my iPhone 4S. When the app first powers up, it runs a scan to detect the Bluetooth LED. When it finds it, it asks you to enter a password, so that only you can change the settings of your particular Wookong M.

There are four main tabs along the bottom of the screen: view, basic, advanced, and more.

View

This is where you can see a summary of your setup, including (among other things) mixer type, IMU orientation and location, as well as how you have your switches configured. By default, the big red slider across the top of the screen is set to the off position. This prevents the motors from powering up while you are adjusting settings. If you try to engage the motors, the app will flash up a warning window, telling you to activate the motors with the slider first.

Basic

The basic menu allows you to configure the aircraft type, mounting info, transmitter settings, and gain settings. You can also calibrate your transmitter, and see a live view (using sliders) that show your stick and switch inputs. The control mode switch slider is useful for setting up your failsafe.

Advanced

The advanced tab lets you set preferences for motor, failsafe, IOC, gimbal, voltage, and range limits. The three numbered control buttons in the IOC menu let you configure the point of interest mode (POI) to a specific switch position.

More

In the More menu, you have access to import/export settings, MC list and information, your DJI account.

Below is DJI's video of the iOS assistant software in action.

Conclusion

I ran through my entire setup using the iOS assistant, and found it very easy to use. I was then able to set my gyro gains in flight, by bringing the aircraft into a GPS hover, adjusting the settings on my iPhone, and testing the results immediately. While I would only suggest this for advanced pilots with no distractions, you can also get your buddy to adjust the settings while you concentrate on the aircraft. Overall it made the setup and trimming process extremely streamlined and I had a fully trimmed, perfectly stable aircraft in a fraction of the time that it would have taken with the PC.

Pros:
Speeds up the setup process
In flight gain adjustments
Easy access to USB port

Last edited by Angela H; May 06, 2013 at 03:15 PM..

Discussion

Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,370 Posts
Will or is the app approved by Apple or does this require the device to be jail broken?
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,370 Posts
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:08 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,311 Posts
It is available on iTunes in the App store for Free.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Tahoe Ed; Apr 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:12 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Although I got the app straight from DJI, it was with a bone stock iPhone 4S, no mods necessary.
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2013, 10:29 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,311 Posts
Chris, again another great write up. I use mine on my iPad mini and it is wonderful. I hope the are working on the Naza series as well. I heard the Zen for GoPro will have App support as well as streaming video. The DJI labs have been busy.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:47 PM
Oak Ridge, NC
Joined Jun 2006
1,432 Posts
Thanks Ed, yeah DJI certainly keep themselves busy!
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2013, 04:44 AM
CunningStuntsFPV
Australia, WA, Dirk Hartog Island
Joined Dec 2012
636 Posts
Hybrid shiz is the shiz
figgoat is offline Find More Posts by figgoat
Old Apr 16, 2013, 03:09 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
2,069 Posts
I have the BT LED too and I like it. I can now fine tune the gains on the go without having to hook back up to the computer or using extra channels to adjust gains by a dial. Just too bad you can't easily remove the LED module to swap it to another WMK unit without upgrading firmware
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Apr 16, 2013, 07:36 PM
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined Feb 2011
335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
It is available on iTunes in the App store for Free.
I had to pay 99 cents !
bananawhiz is offline Find More Posts by bananawhiz
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:25 PM
Joined Jun 2004
144 Posts
Bluetooth LED

Not only did they make an assistant program work with an iOS via Bluetooth, they improved the PC version as well with this latest update!

I think it's important to note that if you are updating an existing Wookong M to iOS bluetooth, you must first update the assistant in your PC to version 2.00, then update the MC to version 5.22 via the PC, THEN you will be able to connect your iOS and Bluetooth 4.0 device to the Wookong M.

I found that my iPad Bluetooth doesn't "see" the Wookong M device, but when I opened the assistant program, all worked as advertised.

The new assistant in both the PC and iOS are a nice visual improvement, but I really like the ability to adjust the gains on the fly, especially in my world where I'm setting up and testing multiple machines. Saves me a LOT of time not having to land, hook up to the PC, make changes, take off and test again...

I hope that a GS version will be available in the future, understanding the distance limitation of the Bluetooth signal. Of course the Ace One system for helicopters needs this also!! . Hint hint.....
cbergen is offline Find More Posts by cbergen
Old Apr 17, 2013, 12:20 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
10,311 Posts
Chris, it is my understanding it is a BT to Data Link connection vs BT only. That way you have the same distance of your current Data Link set up whether 900mhz or 2.4ghz. I agree, I have been waiting for enhancements to the WKH for over a year and nada or should I say Naza. I guess they will get around to us sooner or later.
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Landing Gear Reset S800
Old Apr 18, 2013, 07:47 AM
dji
Joined Sep 2011
75 Posts
such a nice detailed preview, thank you~
dji is offline Find More Posts by dji
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 18, 2013, 08:34 AM
Stockholm