HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2013, 07:32 PM
east central ohio
Joined Jan 2009
340 Posts
Discussion
Os 46 la

I was reading information on the OS 46 LA and this is what it say's about the fuel recommendations...

REQUIRES Fuel with 5% - 15% Nitromethane and 18% (minimum) oil content
(Most of the 5%-15% fuels we carry meet these requirements)

Can I run Methanol and Castor Oil without Nitro Methane in these engines?

Thanks,
-Gary
rcairboater is offline Find More Posts by rcairboater
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2013, 01:10 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,457 Posts
Of course. A little nitro helps with the idle but they run OK on FAI fuel.
datsunguy is online now Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:27 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
832 Posts
Gary,

This engine, according to OS, requires a hotter glow-plug than its displacement suggests.

If you do (OS #6/A3, or the better fitting OS LC3), everything will be OK with FAI fuel.

But do make sure there's plenty of castor oil in it for this bushing bearing engine (all synth is bad!).
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
east central ohio
Joined Jan 2009
340 Posts
What about idle? I don't want the engine to be a pain from stalling constantly.
Thought's?
Old Apr 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
east central ohio
Joined Jan 2009
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarZeelon View Post
Gary,

This engine, according to OS, requires a hotter glow-plug than its displacement suggests.

If you do (OS #6/A3, or the better fitting OS LC3), everything will be OK with FAI fuel.

But do make sure there's plenty of castor oil in it for this bushing bearing engine (all synth is bad!).
The lc3 plug?
From tower hobbies web page...
This is the O.S. Max LC3 Hot Long Reach Glow Plug.
Designed for use in .12-.15 and .18 size engines used in monster trucks
such as the original and newer 2.5 Traxxas T-Maxx.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Dec 2006
1,604 Posts
The engine will run just fine on the all alcohol fuel. The nitro would allow it to idle at a lower RPM. The engine uses a base bleed carb where there is a tiny hole in the front of the carb. This allows air into the carb to idle with the barrel fully closed. Its opening regulates the amount of air. It is generally present to about half way across the hole with the set screw off to the side of the carb. I would not fool with it, the preset works just fine.

Since it is plain bearing engine, that is it does not have ball bearings, it uses a sleeve bearing (also known as a bushing). The oil in the fuel creates a film coating inside the bearing between it and the crankshaft. So the crankshaft literally rides on that coating.

Nothing wrong with a plain bearing engines. All our early engines used sleeve bearings. And even our modern automobile engines use bushings on the connection rods. So the technology while simple is just fine. The only big difference is that when the bushing wears out and that could take years you can not replace it. Ball bearings can be replace pretty easily.
Chip01 is offline Find More Posts by Chip01
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:38 AM
TEAM BOCA
Iowa
Joined Oct 2009
1,364 Posts
Dar and I agree on something, incredible.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:41 AM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,147 Posts
If it doesn't keep lit at idle, you may have to take out the head shim, or put a thinner one in. If the plug blows or is mangled you will know you went too far. My .46 has .030" head clearance which is a lot. It has a .015" shim which if taken out might be about right, for no nitro fuel. It should be ok with just a hot plug IMHO. You don't need nitro really, it just is easier that is all. This is the first time two people got in before I typed my answer.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:45 AM
TEAM BOCA
Iowa
Joined Oct 2009
1,364 Posts
Merlin will probably be able to suggest a plug for it. I would guess a 2009 or 2010.
jeffie8696 is offline Find More Posts by jeffie8696
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:38 AM
Israel, Ramat HaSharon
Joined Nov 2003
832 Posts
Gary,

The LC3/4 glow-plugs don't care and don't know what engine they are installed in.
Their heat range is the same and as far as fit goes; they are actually long-reach and fit better than the #6/#8 glow-plugs that are medium-reach; and remain recessed in the combustion chamber of all larger OS aircraft engines.

I consider them superior replacements and they also cost less (at least compared to the #8).

I suggest the LC3 for engines that need a hot plug and the LC4 for engines that need a medium-heat one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffie8696 View Post
Dar and I agree on something, incredible.
Jeff,

With the exception of bearing brands, we agree on almost everything...
DarZeelon is offline Find More Posts by DarZeelon