HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 27, 2001, 04:00 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Who owns this? What is it called?

My wife and I have build a 4.5oz, 17.5" version of this flyer:

http://www.microflight.org/meet19.jpg

Who owns this? What is it called? In the meantime, I have called our creation the "Ellipse" for hopefully obvious reasons.

Also, does this flyer have any dihedral? I tried mine without any and was experiencing adverse yaw during turns. Right turns, when not done carefully, result in a dive. I had to add dihedral *and* higher wing. But that reduced only *some* of the adverse yaw.

The power system is 7-cell 120mah NiMh packs, GWS DX-D drive, GWS 18x8 prop. I still have to try the DX-A and S1, along with smaller and lighter gear drives.

Jun Nolasco
nolasco is offline Find More Posts by nolasco
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2001, 09:41 PM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,525 Posts
I THINK* that that is a 1 oz model (little one) called the lite-flyer. *think* *think*

I also *suspect* that you can find it in that 10 page RCMF article on the "largest indoor meet in history"
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Nov 27, 2001, 10:31 PM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
Do you have the plans for your ellipse? Also do you have any pics of yours? How does the elevator work on it? How does it fly? jeeez i like to ask questions...

Thanks
Ryan Fritts
fritts is offline Find More Posts by fritts
Old Nov 27, 2001, 11:58 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Sorry, but I have no plans. I just built it by looking at pictures of the plane. It is similar in construction to a Kolibri, but with conventional tail surfaces (i.e. rudder and elevator). Also, I used Ripstop nylon for the covering.

I do have a picture of mine though.

For the elevator, I used a nylon swivel clevis from Great Planes that I had lying around. One end was attached to the rear end of the fuselage and the other to the front of the elevator.

Jun Nolasco

Quote:
Originally posted by fritts
Do you have the plans for your ellipse? Also do you have any pics of yours? How does the elevator work on it? How does it fly? jeeez i like to ask questions...

Thanks
Ryan Fritts
Last edited by nolasco; Nov 28, 2001 at 12:10 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2001, 12:03 AM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
1 oz? I guess I might have to build a much lighter one.

And you are right, it is in the July issue of RCMF. I forgot that the owner's name was given in the article.

Jun Nolasco

Quote:
Originally posted by Buddly6
I THINK* that that is a 1 oz model (little one) called the lite-flyer. *think* *think*

I also *suspect* that you can find it in that 10 page RCMF article on the "largest indoor meet in history"
Old Nov 29, 2001, 11:23 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
883 Posts
Hello,

Actually this plane has no name and was designed and built by a friend Greg Holmes in Bloomington CA. These planes do have a slight dihedral on the rear trailing edge only. The smaller one of the two weighs in at about 1.3 oz and he actually comfortably flies this in his living room which is about 12x20' in size. Confortably I mean figure 8 and circles.
garyg4rc is offline Find More Posts by garyg4rc
Old Nov 29, 2001, 12:51 PM
New York, NY
Joined Dec 2000
1,297 Posts
Well, unless Greg Holmes gives his a name, I now designate this design as the "Ellipse".

Jun Nolasco

P.S. All planes *must* have a name, but only after they have actually acheived flight.

Quote:
Originally posted by garyg4rc
Hello,

Actually this plane has no name and was designed and built by a friend Greg Holmes in Bloomington CA. These planes do have a slight dihedral on the rear trailing edge only. The smaller one of the two weighs in at about 1.3 oz and he actually comfortably flies this in his living room which is about 12x20' in size. Confortably I mean figure 8 and circles.
Old Nov 30, 2001, 12:00 AM
Markle, In. US
Joined Oct 2000
196 Posts
I was wondering if there was an airfoil on those planes? If so do you know how it was formed?
Thanks
Ryan Fritts
fritts is offline Find More Posts by fritts
Old Nov 30, 2001, 11:02 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
883 Posts
Hello,

The planes covering is unstretched due to the light airframe. When the plane goes into forward flight in conjuction with the angle of attack on the wing the loose covering creats a pocket thus giving it a slight airfoil. The trailing edge has a bent center joiner tube also giving the wing a dihedral and washout. I think that's the reason this plane can fly so slow and still maintain stable flight. Greg and I have known each other since kids and we are both in the hobby and have our own little competition going on. My little unnamed flyer weighs in at 24gms, but it's not as maneuverable. I will also include Gregs E-mail for additional questions. "GREG HOLMES" <gnbholmes@cs.com>

Thanks...
Old Nov 30, 2001, 11:05 AM
Riverside CA
Joined Feb 2001
883 Posts
Sorry,

Greg Holmes E-mail

gnbholmes@cs.com