HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:00 AM
Joined Jan 2013
83 Posts
Question
How to set up a really, really long range fpv (6 miles)?

Hi. I am a newbe to fpv but not to flying. I am setting up a plane for spotting deer for hunting. I know its kind of a long shot but I need a FPV system that can fly 10km (6.2 miles) from me in mountain like terrain. I need 2 cameras on this aircraft, one for the pilot (nothing special) and a high definition (pan & tilt) one for the spotter.

To get this up and going I will need (I have the plane)...

TX & RX (6ch). This must have a out of range alarm. This must be able to accomadate the range I need.

FPV TX & RX needs to be able to have 2 cameras working independantley connected. Im not 2 sure about diffrent frequencys, however this needs to fly in mountains, vallys, riverbeds. I was thing that 1000mw might do it with a decent set of aerials but not sure. Will I need 2 TX and RXs to get 2 cameras working?

GPS.

I was going to set this up on a pheonix 2000 glider initally. And then move to a FPV glider.

Can anyone please recomend some set ups for me. I know my decription is kind of vague but and help would be good.

Thank you for any help, David.
David97 is offline Find More Posts by David97
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:04 AM
Joined Jan 2013
83 Posts
I will be flying with monitors.
David97 is offline Find More Posts by David97
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:19 AM
I Like Clouds Made Of Limes?
United Kingdom
Joined Jun 2012
788 Posts
...You need to read the stickes!

No offence to you, but you have a low post count, and there is far too many people wanting to fly miles out from the jump!

On the other hand, whats your budget?
BenLimeClouds is offline Find More Posts by BenLimeClouds
Old Apr 08, 2013, 08:25 AM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,652 Posts
I have to agree. Read the stickies. Start with slightly smaller goals and work up. If you are trying to jump into this head first and do what you are asking for right out of the gate, I GUARRANTEE you are are going to lose your plane. Or at a minimum crash it and spend a day finding it. This is not yet (thankfully) the type of hobby that you can jump into that deeply using money alone. I have been flying FPV for over a year and a half, learning from the ground up (and flying regular RC for over 8). I consider myself an above average FPV pilot and I still get a little scared whenever I'm out past 2-3 miles. There are so many things that can go wrong that far out.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old Apr 08, 2013, 09:52 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,413 Posts
David97.

Hell No I'm not going to tell you how to go 5miles+.
It took me almost 2 years to master a FPV setup by reading hundreds of hours.
(I have 8 FPV planes and I never go beyond 5 miles)
I have a 3.6m Composite Glider and can go for 50 miles, but I would never never do that
for safety reasons.....
Go learn the basics first and fly less then 1 mile.....

You are an Idiot asking those questions.....
Read Read Read READ!!!!!

PM me if you want some advice on setup.....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:25 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
First off - you need a UHF control system - I recco DragonLink.
Then you need a video system - 500mw is fine.
6 miles is not long range - most of the systems here are more than capable of it.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:37 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,453 Posts
Not sure what country you're from, but most country have laws against tracking/spotting animals from the air for hunting. You may want to check your local laws before you invest in a lot of equipment, and a cop tap you on your shoulder while you're flying around....
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:47 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,994 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/user/RCModelR...ew=0&flow=grid

I would recommend watching his videos. It's a good overview of the things you'll need to learn and he's a good presenter so you won't get bored to tears. His videos should help you narrow your choices.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 08, 2013, 10:52 AM
United States, Mt, Great Falls
Joined May 2011
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Not sure what country you're from, but most country have laws against tracking/spotting animals from the air for hunting. You may want to check your local laws before you invest in a lot of equipment, and a cop tap you on your shoulder while you're flying around....

I live in Montana and fly fpv for a little over a year now.
1. spotting game will only make us all look bad and will get us banned for good.
game rangers came up gave us a bunch of crap about harassing game he said if your low enough for the game to acknowlage the aircraft you harassing them. even a real airplane cant fly low enough to bother them by law. I found out the hard way the will confinscate your plane and vehicle. so you can fly at 1000 feet and be legal but you wont see any big game.
2 in the mountains unless your flyin high as hell you will probably fly behind something and loose video then your plane!
remember they are federal and will do as they want but im warning you only bad will happin in some way!
jminardi is offline Find More Posts by jminardi
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:21 AM
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
as far as Im aware... you cant transmit HD video in real time.

Someone correct me if I am misinformed. I think with 2 video feeds, you switch between them, as 2 signals would fight with each other on the plane, considering the distance you want, more than average onboard noise is not working in your favor. Probably set an autopilot of waypoint flight and then monitor the belly camera while the plane flies itself.

flying into valleys over hills from where you are is gonna do unhappy things for the range.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Jan 2011
2,291 Posts
every one of the video fpv gear setups here can do six miles just choose one. Whether or not they get that far depends on hours spent by the pilot. The answer to your question here is every single setup posted in the history of this forum can get six miles, even the lowly 10mw 1.2 ghz micro setups. Percentage of people posting here who have attained six miles? .1%

ask yourself what skills you bring to the table to beat out 99.9% here

its all in ground station tuning and control linkage differences assuming you have a run of the mill vtx and antenna installed.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:43 AM
Joined Jan 2008
388 Posts
you need help for hunting deers !!? pfffffff... FPV has just turned stupid There, is the real danger.
sancho28 is online now Find More Posts by sancho28
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:45 AM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,302 Posts
Flying 6 miles out and back with a multi is going to require some serious battery.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Apr 08, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, Mt, Great Falls
Joined May 2011
325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauerbach View Post
as far as Im aware... you cant transmit HD video in real time.

Someone correct me if I am misinformed. I think with 2 video feeds, you switch between them, as 2 signals would fight with each other on the plane, considering the distance you want, more than average onboard noise is not working in your favor. Probably set an autopilot of waypoint flight and then monitor the belly camera while the plane flies itself.

flying into valleys over hills from where you are is gonna do unhappy things for the range.
you can transmit hd in real time,but like 2.4 wifi system could but everything I have read its to expensive to heavy to unreliable and the tech is not there yet I think you could do 2 video feeds like 900 and 5.8 im not sure but I don't see why you couldn't.i also don't see why you would need to an autopilot with waypoints doesn't have obstical avoidance so it would have to be a fixed elevation, probably way to high to see anything affectively. I jumped in to fpv full force spent a lot of money in mistakes because I wanted range and everything else I didn't listen to anyone. I read all the stickies and I was sure I knew what I was doing lol.
smashed a pile of planes and equiptment. so you want to fly far right away buy 3 of everything. its all easy in tbs and every other vet fpver video but in the real world its not that easy
jminardi is offline Find More Posts by jminardi
Old Apr 08, 2013, 12:53 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,052 Posts
Daemon did a good video demonstrating why we do not have a chance in Hades of seeing any deer from an FPV plane. And doing it for hunting is not kosher either.

The one guy who did this successfully, was for hunting nuissance wild hogs on his farm. He bought a $4k FLIR camera for his plane to be able to see them at night when they come out to eat his crops.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker